April 23, 2024, 11:55:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bad Crank noises/symptoms

Started by hbkeith, October 26, 2019, 01:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

whats the normal for a bad crankshaft or bearing , all my miles have never had a bad crankshaft . 113 Ultima , bad drive train vibration from around 2300 - 2500 RPM from time of install , smooth before and after that . lost a oil line ,engine was shut down instantly when oil pressure droped to 0 and lifters ticked. got a rattle coming from sounds like compensator area

les

You will have small metal shards on the oil drain plug.  Your engine oil drain plug magnet should not have any metal at all, if you have a healthy engine.

hbkeith

capn

hbkeith, Try checking the runout and pulling up and down on crankshaft checking for movement.Maybe the sound is coming from the other side cam or lifter.I had a lifter roller let go on my Ultima and it was a loud clacking sound.The roller was seized.Took out cam too.

les

Quote from: hbkeith on October 28, 2019, 09:47:24 AM
:nix: crickets

Did you examine your engine oil drain plug to see if it's spotless?

Deye76

Have access to a stethoscope? Check in different spots engine & primary. IIRC you changed out the rocker arms so they should be good.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Screamin beagle

I just had my rod bearings go bad on my bike.  Very little noise and a little vibration. The real tell that something was wrong, I cut open the oil filter and I had very fine steel and bronze in there. I knew then that it was going to be a total tear down. Darkhorse man o war crank to the rescue...it hurt the fun money fund but it's done and should never be an issue again. Andrew and John at darkhorse were great to work with and got my parts to me right on schedule. The stethoscope can help...my noise was right at the base of the jugs...i just didn't want believe it lol. Good luck with yours

hbkeith

hbkeith

October 30, 2019, 01:19:16 AM #8 Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:24:52 AM by hbkeith
Quote from: Screamin beagle on October 29, 2019, 06:07:37 PM
I cut open the oil filter and I had very fine steel and bronze in there.  I will do that                     The stethoscope can help...my noise was right at the base of the jugs...        used a stethoscope ( but need to try again with a better one than mine ), noise is at base but seems stronger as stetoscope goes out primary over comp. also noise does not really follow the RPM of engine like a Rod , and the noise was damn near gone at first after swapping compensators , 10 mile ride and was loud again pulling in driveway

capn

If that case drain plug was clean the lower end should be good. Dont give up yet.

JW113

When mine went out or rather wore out, it was not a rattle but a loud "whurring" noise that I also thought was coming from the left side bearings. Turns out it was the pinion side bearings that were the source and specifically the pinion shaft. The way sound travels in metal, kind of hard to pinpoint.

You got two choices my friend. Either tear it down and find out what is wrong, or get better ear plugs & louder exhaust and ignore it until it decides to get ugly. Since it's purt near winter, I suggest the former...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

les

Quote from: capn on October 30, 2019, 02:37:16 AM
If that case drain plug was clean the lower end should be good. Dont give up yet.

I agree.  If that drain plug is clean as a whistle, then there is still hope. But when that drain plug has metal shards on it, then it's a bad day.

I keep a drain plug sitting on the shelf in my garage (that's got metal shards all over it) as a real-life display example of what happens when crank bearings chew into rods.  Cheap H-D flywheel assemblies.

1workinman

Quote from: les on October 30, 2019, 09:28:38 AM
Quote from: capn on October 30, 2019, 02:37:16 AM

I agree.  If that drain plug is clean as a whistle, then there is still hope. But when that drain plug has metal shards on it, then it's a bad day.

I keep a drain plug sitting on the shelf in my garage (that's got metal shards all over it) as a real-life display example of what happens when crank bearings chew into rods.  Cheap H-D flywheel assemblies.
I got some of that crap a few years ago . Stock 103 with 40 ish k miles on it . Checked out and ready to go Harley from a dealer. Rod went out in less than a 1k miles when I bought the pos motor in the 12 Street Glide . What a adventure and a learning experience . Do as you want now I go right to a built motor and not look back .  The rod looking back would rattle a bit around 3k or so . I never own a stock Harley again