April 20, 2024, 03:53:58 AM

News:

Trike MPG

Started by tbird, October 26, 2019, 06:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

What are you guys with trikes getting for fuel mileage? Sometime in my future I may need to go that way and was curious .

Jacob1955

A trike is just like any 2 wheeler,Fuel mileage depends on how you ride,my 2017 gets 38-40 under 65 than starts going down as your speed goes up

PoorUB

I ride with guys with trikes and they would be ecstatic to get close to 40 MPG. Out of 5-6 trikes they all claim averages in the low 30's.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

Trikes are heavier and push more air. Mileage won't be great compared to a two wheel bike.
Ron

kd

:up:  Billboards like my sidecar rigs.  The faster you go the more it burns to stay there. Especially in a headwind.
KD

theroadglide

I had a 2012 with SE255 cams for a few months. It had a Power Vision Auto tuner, but I never found a dyno for trikes in my area. The absolute best I could do on a good day, going down hill, with a tail wind, no passenger, easy on the acceleration, was about 24-28 miles per gallon. The previous owner, who didn't have the cams or Power Vision installed, claimed to get about 20-24 two up and both of them were small peeps. I only kept it for a short while because of the horrible mileage. At 75+ on the highway, fighting a good head wind it wasn't unusual to get less than 20 MPG. Many times when I filled up I would have 110-120 miles in the range indicator. Once at the pumps a couple pulled up on one the same year/color as mine. He said that they had been to a rally in South Padre Island and on the way there they were fighting a very strong head wind. He claimed he was getting 12 MPG and I believed him. I bought mine because I thought my wife would worry less what I rode on days that were not the best for two wheels, like on rain slick streets. I couldn't stand stopping every 75-90 minutes for fuel depending on where the next station might be. I'll stick with 2 wheels for as long as I can.

tbird

How about Gold Wing  trikes? About the same?

Tynker

Quote from: PoorUB on October 26, 2019, 11:58:23 AM
I ride with guys with trikes and they would be ecstatic to get close to 40 MPG. Out of 5-6 trikes they all claim averages in the low 30's.

My '17 Ultra Trike gets 30/32 @ 65/70 miles per hour. That is with wife on back, solo not much difference, because I ride it like I stole it.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tireman

2011 Triglide Mega Flo heads, +10 KB pistons, CR575G TTS dyno tuned 30/32 mpg
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

PoorUB

I always get a kick out these MPG discussions. There is always one or two riders that make claims well above the average.

When HD came out with the 103" Limited in 2010 a friend of mine claimed he was getting 55 MPG riding easy, mid 40's running interstate with his. We happened to ride with him on a 1,500 mile trip shortly after he bought it. I never said anything, but every gas stop I would compare my gas purchase to his. He always bought a tenth or two more than me and I was averaging 38 MPG. After the trip he quit bragging about his MPG. I figure he knew I was checking up on his claims.

I have ridden with quite a few trikes over the years, Goldwings included, low 30's for MPG on a good day. bucking a bad headwind and they would be in the low 20's. Not one of them claimed to see over 35 MPG, ever.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

sandrooney

My wife's 2010 TG with Keith Dunn heads, Woods 222 cams, Jackpot headers and mufflers and Power Vision gets low 30's on a good day.
Patience is such a waste of time .

Leed

Quote from: tbird on October 26, 2019, 05:58:00 PM
How about Gold Wing  trikes? About the same?

Very likely the same kind of mileage.  My Goldwing mileage was about 38mpg and that's with only two wheels.

GaryD

Quote from: Tynker on October 26, 2019, 06:09:49 PM
My '17 Ultra Trike gets 30/32 @ 65/70 miles per hour. That is with wife on back, solo not much difference, because I ride it like I stole it.

Same with me except no wife on the back. Very seldom I do the speed limit which almost killed me last year = totaled the TG just a couple miles from the Dragon. Oh well, got a new TG - still riding like I stole it.
I keep mileage figures on all my vehicles (habit I got from the Marines). I get an honest 32 ~ 34 mpg. Don't know what I'd get if I rode like a little old lady.  :SM:
I've had 3 TG's and they all got the same mpg.
No mods except for Cobra slipons I took off my totaled TG.

I think it's safe to say you can figure on getting 35mpg
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

fxstd_01

My balance isn't what it was so a couple weeks ago I traded my Low Rider for a '19 Freewheeler.  My first mileage check was 38 mpg.  Still in break in period, staying below 3500 rpm.  Most riding rural roads 55-60 mph.  Motor is a 114, completely stock right now.
CW3 USA Retired, 'Nam, Grenada, 82nd, 101st, 160th SOAG
'18 FXLR

Tynker

:agree: :scoot:
Quote from: PoorUB on October 26, 2019, 11:58:23 AM

:agree: :scoot:
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

1workinman

Quote from: Tireman on October 27, 2019, 04:59:31 AM
2011 Triglide Mega Flo heads, +10 KB pistons, CR575G TTS dyno tuned 30/32 mpg
That's seems like decent mileage. I not a tuner but these air cooled motors might be happier with a bit richer tune to keep them cool . Neither of my bikes get great mileage but I just want them to run and not lay over . A trike seems to me has more weight and frontal area so 30 seems good to me .  How does the trike do now after the top end build , good I bet