March 29, 2024, 06:02:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Six speed upgrade

Started by Johnnyshvlhd, October 26, 2019, 07:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buglet

When I did one I only had to move the swing arm mounts back 1/4 inch to get enough room to fit the transmission in the frame. When it was done it look like factory stock.

JW113

So did you cut them off, cut them back 1/4" and weld back on in place? Interesting...

So I was out riding around on mine yesterday. Yes, for in town riding, the gearing of a 5 speed is nice in an Evo & such. I guess I've just gotten used to the 4 speed and the stump pulling power of the shovel motor. Although it's a big jump between 2nd & 3rd, it doesn't seem to really care being in 3rd gear at anything over 30mph.

-JW

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kd

Think Andrew's 3rd gear swap. It evens the ratios up and makes 3rd more useable.
KD

Buglet

Cut them off and welded back on just a 1/4 back. Made a custom allen hex swingarm bolt as there was no room to use a socket anymore. Had the allen to tighten it and the hex for the lock tab.

Johnnyshvlhd

That's a good idea, I might try that on the next one.

Buglet

Here's a couple pictures of the bike with the transmission.

misfitJason

2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rockman96

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 09, 2021, 10:19:04 AM
Quote from: capn on January 09, 2021, 03:44:06 AMSix speed has taller final ratio than 5 or 4 speed

The OEM HD six speed is the same final ratio as four or five speed OEM HD transmissions. 1:1.

The Ultima, I don't know what their final ratio is.

Old thread, I know. But for reference, the Ultima 6 speed (and most all other OD trans) are 0.86:1 final.

I thought the HD 6 speeds were too, but guess that was just an assumption... Can't believe HD would go to the trouble of a 6 and not make it OD. What's the point? Do the 103's and such not have enough torque/hp stock to pull it?

Hossamania

Quote from: rockman96 on November 07, 2021, 04:11:07 PM
Quote from: capn on January 09, 2021, 03:44:06 AMSix speed has taller final ratio than 5 or 4 speed

The OEM HD six speed is the same final ratio as four or five speed OEM HD transmissions. 1:1.

Old thread, I know. But for reference, the Ultima 6 speed (and most all other OD trans) are 0.86:1 final.

I thought the HD 6 speeds were too, but guess that was just an assumption... Can't believe HD would go to the trouble of a 6 and not make it OD. What's the point? Do the 103's and such not have enough torque/hp stock to pull it?

I think what happened is a taller final drive, but the 6 speed allows a shorter first he
Quote from: rockman96 on November 07, 2021, 04:11:07 PM

I think the final drive is taller with the 6 speed, which essentially makes 6th gear an overdrive, but allows a shorter 1st gear to compensate for the tall final gearing.
Just a thought.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

"We learn from history that we do not learn from history "

:hyst:  :hyst:  :hyst:
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FSG

Quote from: JW113 on November 07, 2021, 07:02:23 PM"We learn from history that we do not learn from history "

:hyst:  :hyst:  :hyst:

+ 1000  :up:

capn

Six speed has 1:1 fifth gear and 0.86:1 sixth.

Hossamania

My post got confusing, I lost the fact it is the Shovel section. Probably should have reread the thread before answering, and then not answering.
History, learning, and all that...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Burnout

There is also the primary ratio to consider, not just the trans ratio.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"