April 20, 2024, 07:20:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sealant instead of base gasket on bored cases ...

Started by MadMaxUK, October 29, 2019, 07:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDBI

Just FYI  1800psi steam turbines only used triple boiled linseed oil on the 1/2 joint to help the seal. Fills the voids and sets.   Bob

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

rbabos

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on November 04, 2019, 03:38:46 AM
Copper-Coat spray by Permatex works VERY WELL.
Probably would for case halves but due to over spray there would need to be a bit of masking tape involved. You don't want it on the outer surface or inner, just the joint. I've only used it on some gaskets so far. Namely those leaky uneven Shovel rocker box things. For gaskets, it's the cats ass. While I've never done it, nor intend to , even cometic head gaskets get reused with a flash of Copper Coat.

Don D

Everybody has their own favorite goop. A to b and good to go. :hug:

farmall

While I've never done it, nor intend to , even cometic head gaskets get reused with a flash of Copper Coat.
I did it on a Shovelhead to make a weekend run long ago, and it lasted several years until the top end came down for normal maintenance. Gasket was blue Fel-Pro. I think it was this forum where I read there's a better copper spray but I don't recall the brand.  :oops:

jmorton10

When I was drag racing a monster stroker Shovel (5" stroke & 3 13/16 bore) 40 years ago I had solid copper head gaskets custom made for it so they wouldn't blow running massive doses of nitrous oxide.

I always sprayed them with coppercoat before the final assembly & never had a leak.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

1workinman

Quote from: jmorton10 on November 06, 2019, 05:19:05 PM
When I was drag racing a monster stroker Shovel (5" stroke & 3 13/16 bore) 40 years ago I had solid copper head gaskets custom made for it so they wouldn't blow running massive doses of nitrous oxide.

I always sprayed them with coppercoat before the final assembly & never had a leak.

~John
I never built a hd motor yet but years ago when I worked for GM as a line mechanic I used that sealer on head gaskets and never had a problem . I always liked the sealer because I never had any problems using it . I got tired of warranty work and my friends making a lot more money than me in the oil field so I moved on . Glad I did also

jmorton10

Quote from: 1workinman on November 12, 2019, 05:20:21 PM
when I worked for GM as a line mechanic I used that sealer on head gaskets and never had a problem . I always liked the sealer because I never had any problems using it . I got tired of warranty work and my friends making a lot more money than me

I was also a flat/rate GM line mechanic for 10 years back in the day, that was my first job out of high school (in 1969).  Glad I got out of it also.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Don D

Loctite product has some substance that actually takes up space. Very fine media in with the anaerobic gel.

Hillside Motorcycle

On our AHDRA Mod Class 108" bike, we ran neither a base gasket, or a cylinder head gasket.
Fact.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

rbabos

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on December 11, 2019, 04:15:39 AM
On our AHDRA Mod Class 108" bike, we ran neither a base gasket, or a cylinder head gasket.
Fact.
No head gasket is actually not that uncommon. Air cooled VW had metal to metal. Early ones used a copper O ring but they did away with it later on.  On the Rotax I use to fly with, all it had was an O-ring for sealing, with metal to metal contact. Neither of these methods caused issues.
Ron

PoorUB

Quote from: jmorton10 on November 13, 2019, 01:43:21 AM
Quote from: 1workinman on November 12, 2019, 05:20:21 PM
when I worked for GM as a line mechanic I used that sealer on head gaskets and never had a problem . I always liked the sealer because I never had any problems using it . I got tired of warranty work and my friends making a lot more money than me

I was also a flat/rate GM line mechanic for 10 years back in the day, that was my first job out of high school (in 1969).  Glad I got out of it also.

~John

A friend of mine is a life long GM mechanic. He is a great mechanic, and fast too. He also has a shop at home and also does work there. He works four ten hour days so he has three days off every week so he moonlights on his days off. 4-5 years ago the shop manager was giving him crap about his moonlighting and told him he had to quit working on the side. He didn't. Next thing he gets called up to the owner's office. The owner of the dealership told him if he didn't quit moonlighting he was fired. He told the owner he could not fire him, be cause he just quit, did he want two weeks notice? He still works there and still moonlights!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: rbabos on December 11, 2019, 06:37:44 AM
Fact.
No head gasket is actually not that uncommon. Air cooled VW had metal to metal. Early ones used a copper O ring but they did away with it later on.  On the Rotax I use to fly with, all it had was an O-ring for sealing, with metal to metal contact. Neither of these methods caused issues.
Ron

"Crush fit" on the heads, Ron.
I bought semi-finished cylinders, established a .038" firelip, and spun the STD heads in a Trock fixture, to have a .034" depth. .004" interference, and the head bolts drew the ductile iron lip, into the aluminum head.
Even at 17.25 cr, it never had an issue.

rbabos

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on December 13, 2019, 03:43:01 AM
Quote from: rbabos on December 11, 2019, 06:37:44 AM
Fact.
Ron

"Crush fit" on the heads, Ron.
I bought semi-finished cylinders, established a .038" firelip, and spun the STD heads in a Trock fixture, to have a .034" depth. .004" interference, and the head bolts drew the ductile iron lip, into the aluminum head.
Even at 17.25 cr, it never had an issue.
Yup. That's the method. Get the ring too narrow and it will slowly embed into the aluminum rather then  work the stretch studs as it should. Good to clear that up so the group don't start eliminating the gasket and trying to make the large flat surface work.  :hyst:
Ron