March 28, 2024, 06:20:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2002 Heritage

Started by Tynker, October 30, 2019, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

Help ! Would someone please post a list of codes for a 2002 Softail. I have found the codes in the dash, all show CL except for P8 5e. Thanks.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

rigidthumper

Speedo codes on pre-04 bikes only apply to the speedometer , speed sensor, and wiring. No engine codes.
D01 through D10, set or clr (clear) are the only options.
CODE - TROUBLE - WIRE COLOR
d01 - speed sensor power output shorted low - red
d02 - speed sensor power output shorted high - red
d03 - not used
d04 - not used
d05 - speed sensor return shorted high - white
d06 - speed sensor return shorted low - white
d07 - not used
d08 - speedometer power overvoltage - orange/white
d09 - speed output shorted high - white/green
d10 - speed output shorted low or open - white/green
5 digit number - speedometer pulses per unit"
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tynker

Thank you very much.. Not much help though. It is hard to start, and when I gas it it seems like it runs out of gas. It will idle rough, but I can't gas it, it just dies. New Harley plugs & wires, and coil. New fuel pressure regulator. Every thing in the gas tank looks like new.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

rigidthumper

New is not a guarantee of good.  I'm betting either the new regulator housing is leaking or the fuel line from the regulator to the check valve has holes in it. Time for a fuel pressure test.
Obtain the pressure gauge and fitting, install them inline with the fuel rail.
Place the run/stop switch in the run position, turn ignition switch on. You should hear the fuel pump run for two seconds, (system prime)  then shut off. During this initial prime time the gauge should read 58-62 PSI. The gauge should show the system holding above 50 PSI for a few minutes, even if the pump is not operating. Hit the start button, and once the ECM receives a signal from the crank position sensor, it will turn the pump back on, and you should see 58-62 PSI, but with a fluctuation from the injectors opening/closing.

If there is no/little pressure during prime, then the regulator housing is probably leaking. These are easy to break as they are plastic.
If the pressure rises quickly to near normal, but then, just as quickly drops when the pump shuts off, the check valve line has holes in it. Very common on early injected softails.
If the pressure rises and holds, but is low (10-30 PSI) The pump is failing, and needs to be replaced.
HTH
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hogmandon

It is easy to break the tabs on the regulator when putting it back in if it is the same as my 06 and then when the pump is turned on it will pop out from the pressure. You can also cut the O ring on assembly easily. Hate to admit it but I have done both.

Tynker

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 31, 2019, 04:45:16 AM
New is not a guarantee of good.  I'm betting either the new regulator housing is leaking or the fuel line from the regulator to the check valve has holes in it. Time for a fuel pressure test.
Obtain the pressure gauge and fitting, install them inline with the fuel rail.
Place the run/stop switch in the run position, turn ignition switch on. You should hear the fuel pump run for two seconds, (system prime)  then shut off. During this initial prime time the gauge should read 58-62 PSI. The gauge should show the system holding above 50 PSI for a few minutes, even if the pump is not operating. Hit the start button, and once the ECM receives a signal from the crank position sensor, it will turn the pump back on, and you should see 58-62 PSI, but with a fluctuation from the injectors opening/closing.

If there is no/little pressure during prime, then the regulator housing is probably leaking. These are easy to break as they are plastic.
If the pressure rises quickly to near normal, but then, just as quickly drops when the pump shuts off, the check valve line has holes in it. Very common on early injected softails.
If the pressure rises and holds, but is low (10-30 PSI) The pump is failing, and needs to be replaced.
HTH

I have replaced the regulator, the plastic holder is fine. I have a new filter, and check valve and hose on the way,and both should be here next week. all were bad. Thanks for all  the replies, and help.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

kd

You are describing symptoms of a faulty head temp sensor.  They did not throw codes post 1998. 
KD

Ajayrk

The following trouble codes are valid up to 2002 bikes

CodeReason
11Throttle Position Sensor (EFI only)
12Barometric Pressure Sensor (EFI only)
14Engine Temp Sensor (EFI only)
15Intake Air Sensor (EFI only)
16Battery voltage low
21,22Turn Signal bad (21=left, 22=right)
23,32Injectors (23=front, 32=rear) (EFI only)
24,25Coil (24=front, 25=rear)
31,32Alarm output bad (31=low, 32=high)
33Fuel Pump Relay (EFI only)
34Idle Speed Control (EFI only)
35Tach
41Crank Position Sensor, Check Engine light bad
42Cam Position Sensor (removed from tc88's in 00 or 01)
43Security Status Power, Vehicle Speed Sensor
44Bank Angle Sensor
52,53,54,55ECM fail (EFI only)
56Crank/Cam timing
61no TSM/TSSM data
63ECM/TSSM serial data
99bad password
AJ

Ajayrk

Delphi ECM Testing (2000 - 2003 models)
Step 1

Remove the right side cover to access the data link connector.
Step 2

Remove the protective plug from the data link connector.
Step 3

Connect your jumper wire to the first and second terminal on the data link connector. A female spade connector slipped over the terminals will work.
Step 4

Turn the ignition switch on and wait for 10 seconds. The light will turn on for 4 seconds, then off for 6 seconds. After this 6 second interval, any stored trouble codes will appear as sequential flashes.  This may take more than 10 seconds.
Step 5

Count the number of times the lamp flashes; this is the first code. The code will repeat three times before playing the next code, if any, after a 3 second pause.
Step 6

Record the codes and refer to your service manual for possible faults or conditions.
Step 7

Turn off the ignition switch and remove the jumper wire.

Replace the right side cover.
AJ