April 19, 2024, 08:14:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear Brake Upgrade for a Deuce

Started by djl, October 30, 2019, 12:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

^^
Been waiting for you to chime in.  :up: :up:
I installed late model Brembo front calipers on my FXR, but left the rear alone. Friends ask why?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

djl

November 05, 2019, 06:28:41 AM #26 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:45:29 AM by djl
Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on November 04, 2019, 09:28:30 PM
Quote from: djl on October 30, 2019, 12:53:06 PM
I have never been happy with the rear braking on my '05 Deuce; brakes go from almost no brakes to lockup.  Currently running Lyndall Z+ pads, HD wannabe floating rotor and have replaced the rubber lines with SS.  Getting ready to flush old fluid and replace, replace pads and clean up the caliper.  What pads? Is one brand of fluid better than another? Should I consider changing rotors?  Suggestions please.

TIA

Don,  I have the same exact combination on the rear of my Deuce currently.  I think it's plenty of brake,  almost too easy to lock.  I had some old regular Z pads previously and they were a lot more forgiving as it took deliberate pedal pressure to lock...I kinda like that. The Z+ is nicer most of the time as they provide more braking with less pressure.  My bike came with SS lines same as Thumpers bike.  I think running a rubber line as MAX/Admiral suggested might be a good call to make the brake a little more forgiving in regards to lock-up.  It's hard to get a nice progressive feel with a foot long brake lever.  The rear brake doesn't give near the feel/feedback as the front and my foot is no where near as sensitive as my hand...hence the occasional slid or hack job on entry.

I'm an old MX'r so I run more rear brake on entry than most who have road raced.  I trail brake both ends pretty much to apex when the pace is hot. I use the front hard and feather off as I lean in. I use/drag the rear to stabilize the chassis and to scrub extra speed off if needed after I've tipped in and am off the front brake.   

If you put more rear brake on the bike I think it's just going to lock easier.  -Rick

Wondering where you were; waiting for you to chime in as I take your advice seriously. You know what the Sisters are like and that type of riding is the only place I find the rear brake lacking. Perhaps I just need to replace the fluid, clean up the rotor/caliper and replace the pads?  I will try that first.  If I didn't try to ride like you, I wouldn't have this problem.:doh: Glad you chimed in; hope all is well. :wink: