April 19, 2024, 05:35:44 PM

News:

Cam Choice

Started by dwjohnson, October 30, 2019, 03:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Hi fellas, I have a customer wanting a cam change in a 2016 103" Dresser with 4" dual Rineharts, but he says he is more interested in a better sound than a performance increase. I'm looking for recommendations on the bolt in cam that could provide that cammy or loapy idle. I realize not many choices from bolt in specs.
Am I right in thinking that type sound or idle comes from increased duration/overlap?
Thanks for the ideas. 

S&S 551? It would be pushing towards 200ccp though. SE204s sound lumpy(er) as well.

rigidthumper

S&S 570 has 27° more overlap and opens the exhaust valve 15° sooner, so that should go a long way towards a different sound. Since you would have to retune anyway, you can also play with the idle area ( timing and fuel) to see what changes you could cause in the idle sound.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Prostock

204's for lumpy, Andrews 48 for all around performance.

Gsbuick65

ive got the s&s570s in mine, sounds lumpy with my rineheart true duals, but its sorta got a lurch to it when going slow
2011 103 s&s 570s, powervision
Rinehart true duals, southaven Ms.

The CR570-2 has asymmetrical lobes... might make for a more exhausted note  :nix: It's a great performer. I've used the Andrews 48 on two different builds... not a super lumpy idle, but sounds mean when you get on it!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

54H Grind Work Well for Sound and Performance Mid-Range and beyond with no CAT
Tom

Don D

The CR570-2 has asymmetrical lobes
No just 20deg added exhaust duration and early opening exhaust lobe

Thermodyne

S&S 551 will give him that better sound, and give him some power down where I=he probably operates the scooter.

Since you'll have to tune it anyway, do him a favor and put easy starts in it, and turn off the acr's.

bigfoot5x

I've had bikes with the SE 204's, Andrews 54's and Andrews 57's. I never really noticed a different sound in the idle of these cams over stock except during the warm up period when the idle is slightly higher. Warmed up at idle speed, they were not very lumpy. It takes a sharp ear to hear the mild lumpy idle. I always thought the lumpy idle was caused by lots of overlap and lots of overlap needs higher compression to run good. If the customer is adding more compression he might be ok. If he is only changing cams, he might get something that sounds good but runs worse than stock. I doubt any amount of tuning will cure it.

Hossamania

It's pretty hard to get a lumpy idle on a fuel injected bike without adding compression and a much more radical cam than a straight bolt in.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

boooby1744

A lumpy idle at 1000revs? Might wanna get a shovel.

Bafflingbs

My bike with Woods 222's and 4" Rineharts (I have a fat cat now)
http://youtu.be/6889cojcjBA
2015 FLHXS: 117hp/130tq FM 110", Darkhorse Man-O-War crank
Retired Motor Officer

Bafflingbs

2015 FLHXS: 117hp/130tq FM 110", Darkhorse Man-O-War crank
Retired Motor Officer

Don D

Quote from: HD Street Performance on November 01, 2019, 06:17:43 AM
The CR570-2 has asymmetrical lobes
No just 20deg added exhaust duration and early opening exhaust lobe
Sorry mistake, I was thinking about the S&S 570. The use of assymetric lobes is common to many grinds. Exhaust bias, plus or minus, is a non-related topic.

dwjohnson

Along with the customers understanding and approval, we decided to go with a set of S&S 585 cams. I made him aware of the power band drawbacks with this cam.
Is it possible to reuse the stock pushrods on the 585 base circle?
what seems to be the better "quick install" adjustable pushrod in terms of easy access to the adjusters with the stock covers on a 2016 model? And is there any difference in the covers from year to year on the '07 up models? Thanks

Barrett

Quote from: dwjohnson on November 15, 2019, 02:16:04 PM
Along with the customers understanding and approval, we decided to go with a set of S&S 585 cams. I made him aware of the power band drawbacks with this cam.
what seems to be the better "quick install" adjustable pushrod in terms of easy access to the adjusters with the stock covers on a 2016 model? And is there any difference in the covers from year to year on the '07 up models? Thanks

The 583's would be a better pick. I'll bet he will not be happy with how the 585's run without more compression.
I doubt the powerband would be in the RPM range where he rides either.

Don D

The 585s are a hot rod cam and not at home without 10.5:1 compression. The 583 is a mile off, a bolt in with a torque build result.

what seems to be the better "quick install" adjustable pushrod in terms of easy access to the adjusters with the stock covers on a 2016 model? And is there any difference in the covers from year to year on the '07 up models?

Use SE 18404-08 adjustables. The most user friendly yet also rigid in a mild spring pressure build.

FXDBI

Quote from: dwjohnson on November 15, 2019, 02:16:04 PM

The 570s would work better, has already said need more squeeze for the 585s.  Bob