March 29, 2024, 03:25:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2003 Electra Glide Radio will not turn off

Started by 50Panhead, October 31, 2019, 04:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Panhead

When the Ignition switch is turned off the radio stays on until the battery is disconnected.

Think its internal to the radio?

It does not do it all the time.
What Do You Care What Other People Think

rigidthumper

Might be the ignition switch isn't completely severing the circuit at key off. Try moving the key switch all the way CCW to the lock position and see if the radio doesn't go off within a second or three.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

50Panhead

I'm in Missouri trying to help my Cousin in Canon City CO with his bike. He a better diesel  mechanic  than a Harley mechanic. I'll gather as much information from here then give him a call.

50Panhead

Quote from: 50Panhead on October 31, 2019, 05:06:25 PM
I'm in Missouri trying to help my Cousin in Canon City CO with his bike. He a better diesel  mechanic  than a Harley mechanic. I'll gather as much information from here then give him a call.

Talked to him last night he said sometimes the radio will not turn on.  He is also having speedometer problems. Like the speedometer just quits working for no reason. 
I told him he should just trade the bike in for a newer one. He did not like that answer. Wife did not either.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

The Speed Sensor is the most probable cause OR a neck wire broken inside insulation. See them 100's of times.

The Radio could be a crossed circuit from insulation wear in the harness somewhere. I've repaired those as well. just as the Speedometer, the Neck wiring seems to be the case 80% of the time and other places for the remaining time.
Tom