April 18, 2024, 06:37:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Converting a 2015 wet head to air

Started by 86fxwg, November 01, 2019, 04:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

My best buddy has had issues with water pumps, 3 to be exact. Now hes got a right fan that's not working. Even though its been covered under extended warranty he's fed up.

? is, Is it possible to shut off the fan monitors in the ECM so no check eng light? Or is the ECM gonna have to be replaced with an air cooled ECM?
Ive wired in a few o2 sensors on older Delphi bike's & turned on the pids for o2 sensors,not sure I can turn off the pids for fans & the pump.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

PoorUB

The part numbers for the ECM is the same, if that helps. I don't think you can just "flash" an ECM to a different model , wet head to air cooled. Pretty sure Harleys computer wants the VIN to program the ECM.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Quote from: PoorUB on November 02, 2019, 07:39:26 AM
The part numbers for the ECM is the same, if that helps. I don't think you can just "flash" an ECM to a different model , wet head to air cooled. Pretty sure Harleys computer wants the VIN to program the ECM.

Pretty sure I can with Techno Research. I would think the dealer can do it as well.

Don D

I has and can be done. Get rid of the water cooled gear and heads then flash it. Done.

rigidthumper

November 02, 2019, 08:23:37 AM #4 Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:42:18 AM by rigidthumper
Need an air cooled VIN number, and map. ECM is the same. May be able to over write the VIN, may need a new blank ECM. IDK.
7th digit in the VIN is the engine descriptor. L = 103 twin cooled, M = 103 Air cooled.  Don't think you can change just 1 digit  :idunno:
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Thermodyne

Cheaper and less work to just fix it.  Put the late style pump kit on it and fix the fan. 

Those early cooling systems were, ah, lets say buggy.  Or overcomplicated mouse traps build with substandard parts.

The new style system is a lot more dependable.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Coyote on November 02, 2019, 07:44:09 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on November 02, 2019, 07:39:26 AM

Pretty sure I can with Techno Research. I would think the dealer can do it as well.

Yup
Tom

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 02, 2019, 08:23:37 AM
Need an air cooled VIN number, and map. ECM is the same. May be able to over write the VIN, may need a new blank ECM. IDK.
7th digit in the VIN is the engine descriptor. L = 103 twin cooled, M = 103 Air cooled.  Don't think you can change just 1 digit  :idunno:

Nope - TR has all the Maps - May have to use Direct Tune to Flash.

If you need a Map let me know.
Tom

86fxwg

Bikes tuned with TTS, Can TTS shut off those pids?

Quote from: Thermodyne on November 02, 2019, 08:26:29 AM
Cheaper and less work to just fix it.  Put the late style pump kit on it and fix the fan. 

Those early cooling systems were, ah, lets say buggy.  Or overcomplicated mouse traps build with substandard parts.

The new style system is a lot more dependable.

Nope he's done with the Wet head!
We either 86 the wet heads or the bikes traded.

So i'm crystal clear, the dealer can flash & install his custom tune & shut the pids off on his ECM for the pump & fan drivers?

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Coyote

I'm pretty sure your only options for reflashing the ECM to a different model is to use Dig Tech or TR Centurion/Direct Link.

rigidthumper

"Bikes tuned with TTS, Can TTS shut off those pids?"
No, AFAIK no product has that capability.  The software has a completely different set of parameters ( sensor readings, engine temp calcs, checking for resistance feedback, codes, etc) for twin cooled and oil cooled. The background info for the map needs to be either for a twin cooled or an oil cooled model.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

cherryseeg2

All you have to do is flash the appropriate map, I know Power Vision will flash a wethead map into an oil cooled bike and it will run fine with only a check eninge light. So flashing the other way should be the same and once the coolant system and sensors are removed there should be no CEL.
2005 Cherry SEEG2-J&B Performance 120 163hp/144tq

flhxi2go

I just finished doing this with TTS . you have to leave all sensors hooked up, or it sets a check engine light
Quote from Steve Cole (Paul

We have never had one here to build a custom calibration for. What I would suggest is that you measure the parts with an Ohm meter that have been removed and just put resistors back in there place. I think there is just the water pump and coolant sensor in the left radiator that you would need to fool with the resistors. That way the ECM see the parts as being installed, even though they are not and just tune as normal.)

cheech

Quote from: Coyote on November 04, 2019, 04:46:05 AM
I'm pretty sure your only options for reflashing the ECM to a different model is to use Dig Tech or TR Centurion/Direct Link.
Or if he wanted go with a Thundermax ECM? Get rid of the Delphi ECM.

1workinman

Quote from: 86fxwg on November 01, 2019, 04:00:15 PM
My best buddy has had issues with water pumps, 3 to be exact. Now hes got a right fan that's not working. Even though its been covered under extended warranty he's fed up.

? is, Is it possible to shut off the fan monitors in the ECM so no check eng light? Or is the ECM gonna have to be replaced with an air cooled ECM?
Ive wired in a few o2 sensors on older Delphi bike's & turned on the pids for o2 sensors,not sure I can turn off the pids for fans & the pump.

Maybe he could just trade the bike in on some thing else . I not sure I want a m8 yet until I was damn sure problems fixed may be they have

Smarty

With Direct Link, just remove all related Wethead stuff, heads, water pump, etc. and just flash to desired air cooled tune. We've done it multiple times with no trouble codes related to wet head. Easy, peasy!
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks