May 02, 2024, 04:17:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2002 FLHTCUI Upgrade

Started by FTBY55, November 03, 2019, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTBY55

Looking for some help making a decision on upgrading. Currently my bike has a S/E First Stage upgrade from the dealer when purchased. A/C, Slip-ons and download.
Looking to install S&S 509C gear drive package and keep the stock pushrods. will install rockouts while apart. Currently no ignition upgrade but was wondering if installing a FLHTPI ECU would be worthwhile or is there another route I should look at? No plans to increase C.I. or compression. Daily rider running at about 3500 to 4000 RPM cruising.
Thanks in advance.

Hillside Motorcycle

Best you can see with what you've planned would be to install those cams, and have it professionally tuned.
BTW, if you did bore that to 98"(currently building a 98"/509 combo)that would be a HUGE useable power increase.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Pirsch Fire Wagon

RPM range, Daily Driver - Andrews TW-37 and a Tune IMO Only!
Tom

Scooterfish

Doesn`t the Andrews 37 like a bit more compression to shine than stock?
Northern Indiana

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on November 04, 2019, 03:35:52 AM
Best you can see with what you've planned would be to install those cams, and have it professionally tuned.
BTW, if you did bore that to 98"(currently building a 98"/509 combo)that would be a HUGE useable power increase.

Wow that's gunna have some grunt down low... Where are you setting compression on this?

Did the 02s have Delphi or MM? OP, this might also be a good question to put in the AFR/tuning section.

klammer76

Quote from: 838 on November 04, 2019, 07:05:48 AM
Did the 02s have Delphi or MM? OP, this might also be a good question to put in the AFR/tuning section.
Delphi

FTBY55

Can I assume that nobody has had the need or desire for an ignition upgrade on an '02 Injected Ultra?

86fxwg

Quote from: FTBY55 on November 06, 2019, 06:56:22 PM
Can I assume that nobody has had the need or desire for an ignition upgrade on an '02 Injected Ultra?

Why.... custom timing map when a professional tune is done.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

rigidthumper

Instead of "upgrading ignition" like was done when you "upgraded carbs/cams/etc" on early model bikes, the fuel injection mapping is just re-calibrated (tuned) for the new components installed.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

TorQuePimp

How many miles on this bike ?

FTBY55

November 07, 2019, 07:25:28 PM #11 Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:32:27 PM by FTBY55
Quote from: TorQuePimp on November 07, 2019, 11:11:30 AM
How many miles on this bike ?

Only 17,879. Cam Chain tensioners have not been checked yet. Only other work has been replaced charging system with 3 phase upgrade, replaced fuel pump, components and all hoses and minor trans work. Put on about 120 miles a week here in AZ. Installed LoveJugs for the higher temps here.  Primary ride is the '96 Fatboy.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Scooterfish on November 04, 2019, 06:50:09 AM
Doesn`t the Andrews 37 like a bit more compression to shine than stock?

I think that's somewhat of a misnomer from actual performance IMO based on Dyno Runs.

I've done a ton of these. Compared to the other options (which I have also done) these offer the best performance with minimal reduction in Engine Life using Flat Tops and Heads. I've also seen excellent results converting to carb using a Mikuni with 42 mm Intake.

One thing i always suggest is the upgraded Cam Plate and Oil Pump - They've come down in price considerably.
Tom

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: 838 on November 04, 2019, 07:02:37 AM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on November 04, 2019, 03:35:52 AM

Wow that's gunna have some grunt down low... Where are you setting compression on this?

9.75 cr.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

chaos901

The '02 still had the Timken too.  I had one that I made into a 95", always regretted letting that bike go,   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

FTBY55

So what would be the best lifters to use and why? Don't know if I should buy the S&S Pkg or select it piece by piece. As I said before I want to stick with stock pushrods for long term worry free operation.

Hillside Motorcycle