May 07, 2024, 04:23:39 PM

News:

Help, stripped thread!

Started by Armin, October 29, 2019, 12:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armin

:scratch:Hi, I stripped the thread within the transmission housing that holds the oil drain plug. I wonder if someone could come up with the thread specs in order to look for the appropriate Timesert repair kit or to rethread to hold a new plug of the next larger size metric or inchwise.
If anyone around here has gone through this scenario I'd appreciate the disclosure of your working secrets.

Thanks, Armin. :beer:
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

koko3052

Can't you just measure the thread from the plug that you have? :scratch:

FXDBI

Quote from: Armin on October 29, 2019, 12:28:28 PM
:scratch:Hi, I stripped the thread within the transmission housing that holds the oil drain plug. I wonder if someone could come up with the thread specs in order to look for the appropriate Timesert repair kit or to rethread to hold a new plug of the next larger size metric or inchwise.
If anyone around here has gone through this scenario I'd appreciate the disclosure of your working secrets.

Need a little more info the transmissions have different drains in different years.  Year make and model usually comes before the question.  Bob

Armin

It's a 2001 FLSTCI with an original gearbox and @Koko, yes I could measure the thread diameter and use a standard pitch gauge to verify the number of teeth per inch, but I guess this would be a very coarse way and I want to go the exact way.

Armin.

kd

I don't know but it sounds pretty exact too me.   :scratch:
KD

FSG

60328-98B   DRAIN PLUG, w/ O-ring                  1/2"-20

HogMike

Quote from: Armin on October 29, 2019, 12:28:28 PM

I believe Colony still makes a 9/16 x 18 oversized replacement drain plug if you go that route.
:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

hdbikedoc

I always repair with a 14 x 1.25  mm drain bolt from a metric bike  believe its a Yamaha part
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

Frédéric CM

A Volkwagen drainplug is 14x1.5mm, readily avalaible and cheap but the thread is slightly bigger. 1.25mm is what you should be looking

Armin

Hi everyone and thanks for all the helpful replies. There is still about 1/4 inch of useable thread left. I wrapped plumber's teflon tape around the thread of the plug and took a 1 mm teflon washer instead of the o-ring to seal. It worked perfectly and it is tight. Should this fail in the near future I'll change to rethreading and using the 14x1.25 mm plug.

Armin.

86fxwg

Autozone,Napa,orielys, 1/2, 20 half oversize or 1/2 20 single oversize. They even make a double oversize. I prefer the piggy back if there's room.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

86fxwg

1/2 20 SO on left, 1/2 20 half over size piggy back on right!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Hybredhog

Quote from: 86fxwg on October 30, 2019, 09:09:08 AM
Autozone,Napa,orielys, 1/2, 20 half oversize or 1/2 20 single oversize. They even make a double oversize. I prefer the piggy back if there's room.

:up:   Just run it in several times with grease on the threads to clean out the old shavings.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Hossamania

I like the piggy back design, especially if it has been stripped once already.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

86fxwg

Quote from: Hossamania on October 30, 2019, 10:34:36 AM
I like the piggy back design, especially if it has been stripped once already.

My go to also! Plus its steel on steel!
Just make sure u hold the 1/2 by 20 with another wrench when doing ur oil changes!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

koko3052

The drain plugs on all my bikes have cross holes drilled in the heads & safety wired. I learned as a kid how frustrating stripped out threads are to repair & how very easily stripped some times.  :embarrassed: