April 19, 2024, 12:27:18 PM

News:

clutch hub nut stripped ??

Started by jmorton10, November 02, 2019, 04:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

Clutch hub nut stripped ??

I was helping a buddy pull an older baker tranny out of an 08 RK today.

Everything was going along just fine until we went to remove the left hand clutch hub nut. It broke loose fairly easily but now is just spinning like the threads are stripped.

What is the best way to get the nut off now to see how much damage we are looking at ??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

1workinman

can you use a die grinder with a bur to remove some of the nut and get it close to the threads then take a punch or what ever to remove it the rest of the way .  :idunno:

smoserx1

November 02, 2019, 07:22:57 PM #2 Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:39:36 PM by smoserx1
I have to use a puller to get my clutch off the mainshaft once the nut is removed as the spline fit is tight and am thinking it might also help you in this situation.  I have something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-type-wheel-puller-set-62620.html?_br_psugg_q=puller

You can find this tool most anywhere.  I also have some extra metric bolts about 2 inches long from Home Depot I use.  They may be M5 or M6, I cant remember but they are the same thread as the 6 bolts that hold the diaphragm spring retainer on.  Remove any 2 of these bolts 180° apart, take them to Home Depot and get two longer bolts and washers to use with the puller kit.  Set the puller up using the 2 holes where you removed those in the clutch for the diaphragm spring retainer then start the pulling process till the forcing screw pulls the clutch hub out to where it contacts the nut you are trying to remove.  The forcing screw will start to get tight, but then if you can rotate the entire primary assembly in the direction needed to loosen the nut it should also rotate the clutch hub nut you are trying to remove.  You might  have to do it a little then retighten the puller forcing screw, but I am thinking with patience you might get it off that way.  Never done this but I'm thinking it might work.  And if that won't work you can always remove all 6 bolts holding the spring retainer on than remove the spring, pressure plate and stack.  That might allow you some room to get something behind that nut to force it outward as you are spinning it.  Just a thought.  Good luck.

fbn ent

Never, ever heard of this...keep us informed  :scratch:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

jmorton10

I got the torch out and heated it up pretty hot then pried out on the hub while unscrewing it with an adult impact and managed to get it off.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

smoserx1

Good.  Are the threads on the mainshaft OK?

TN

That's a tough one, problem nut, to get at just cause the location One of those odd metric nuts too, 30mm if my memory serves me right.
Just Ride..........

fbn ent

Quote from: jmorton10 on November 02, 2019, 08:58:38 PM
I got the torch out and heated it up pretty hot then pried out on the hub while unscrewing it with an adult impact and managed to get it off.

~John

:up:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

jmorton10

Quote from: smoserx1 on November 03, 2019, 04:17:53 AM
Good.  Are the threads on the mainshaft OK?

Yeah luckily they are.  It is all back together & working just fine.

~John