April 18, 2024, 04:57:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Headlight Nacelle Swap

Started by SanB2013, November 02, 2019, 07:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanB2013

Has anyone here installed early style fork tins/covers on a shovelhead front end in place of the nacelle? My nacelle is in good shape but I was just thinking of doing something different.  This is a picture of the early type tins.
[attach=0]

1976 FXE

72fl

This was on my 82 FLH Green and on a 77 Black FLH

SanB2013

Quote from: 72fl on November 03, 2019, 04:37:24 AM

Thanks for the pictures.  That really looks clean, I love the nacelle but the early tinsare nice and clean. I think I'll get a set and try it out for a while.
1976 FXE

david lee

Quote from: 72fl on November 03, 2019, 04:37:24 AM
is that number 1 airbrushed on the tank

72fl

david lee

JW113

OK, I'll be the bad guy. If you leave the nacelle on, people won't be coming up to you and saying "Nice Softail!".

This is what I love about that polished aluminum nacelle. It screams NO I'M NOT A FREAKIN' SOFTAIL!!!

:SM:

(no disrespect '72, smoochies)

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

72fl

November 08, 2019, 04:30:16 AM #8 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:39:10 PM by FSG
Quote from: JW113 on November 07, 2019, 06:27:49 PM
OK, I'll be the bad guy. If you leave the nacelle on, people won't be coming up to you and saying "Nice Softail!".

This is what I love about that polished aluminum nacelle. It screams NO I'M NOT A FREAKIN' SOFTAIL!!!

-JW

JW you're such the Purist. LOL                I like the Nacelle one of the bikes the dreaded green  :turd:  I purchased, the other was my brother's that came that way also. I am a Nacelle person as my last Shovel I had it powdercoated. The Tin pieces just are CHINSEY in my humble OP

JW113

Yeah, probably right about that!

True story. I swung by the dealership for something, had the FLH out in the parking lot. Came back out and one of the HD mechanics (young-ish) was standing by my bike, looking at it, and says "Nice bike. Fatboy, right?"

I'm guessing the kid has never touched a wrench to anything other than a TC or newer XL. I had to give him a short education about Harley history. And in this case, the nacelle didn't give the kid a clue. So much for my own 'it ain't a softail' speach!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

72fl

Had a RUB with a couple of his buddies once come up to me, he says wow nice, what is it a Road King ? Yep sure is me and my buds just busted up

Reddog74usa

Even with the tins on the front I still had a guy ask me what year Road King my 59 FLH was and when I had my FXR they would say nice sportster  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: So just run what ya like.....
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

My 76 FLH with a 2000 and up front suspension, a set of dual disc brakes and a front laced rim off a 07 Road King seems to confuse most.  Stops nice though.  :wink:

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

FSG

FSG

It screams NO I'M NOT A FREAKIN' SOFTAIL!!!

:hyst:   and I've had the opposite   .......  nice shovel    :SM:

SanB2013

Quote from: JW113 on November 07, 2019, 06:27:49 PM

-JW

Thanks for the comments, after cleaning and polishing the nacelle I've decided I really like it so I'm going to leave it as is.
1976 FXE

SanB2013

Quote from: FSG on November 09, 2019, 09:38:15 PM
Quote from: 72fl on November 08, 2019, 04:26:28 AM
Quote from: david lee on November 07, 2019, 12:38:09 PM
Quote from: 72fl on November 07, 2019, 04:05:09 AM
No,had it made into a Decal
stick on ?
Yes then Cleared over

:up:

I stuck a set of these on my 03 Fatty   :chop:

I like that emblem, are they adhesive backed? Where did you get them?
1976 FXE

david lee

didnt they only come on panheads

rigidthumper

The mounts for most of the old style emblems are available with mounting adhesive, and the emblem attaches to the mount. HD carries some, some are available from Tedds Cycle. ( V-Twin manufacturing)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

crock

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 18, 2019, 06:24:18 AM
The mounts for most of the old style emblems are available with mounting adhesive, and the emblem attaches to the mount. HD carries some, some are available from Tedds Cycle. ( V-Twin manufacturing)

You can also buy repop emblems with the mount from J&P
https://www.jpcycles.com/gas-tank-emblems
Crock

72fl

Mount to the Factory Screws on Old Shovel Tanks

Buglet

You can buy those emblems from Harley for about half the price.