April 25, 2024, 07:03:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baker or .... ?

Started by fbn ent, November 05, 2019, 11:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Friend wants to know.....Baker (barely used) or the latest and greatest :crook: SE compensator. '08 Flt
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

SE is much better, they are holding up pretty well since the last revision. 2008 will need a new alternator rotor too.

Thermodyne

Baker has a new design to their compensator, and I don't know how well its holding up.  The original and its revisions do not hold up well.  I've killed on and its replacement is raising hell.  All in less than 10K miles.

fbn ent

Well, there you go. Thanks!
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

jsachs1

The BAKER stuff is HORRIBLE. Pure JUNK. :angry:
John

Admiral Akbar

As far as I can tell, the M8 comp looks like it will fit. Many of the parts are the same. Cam and sprocket have much wider rubbing surfaces.  Much better than the later TC one.  Anyone tried to see if it will actually fit?  27000 miles on one in an M8 and it's as quiet as the day the bike was new.

road-dawgs1

I'm surprised there was such hoopla and raving over Baker products and now everyone claims their stuff is junk. I'm sure glad I never bit on one of their compensators or tensioners for my 08 when I had it.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Billy

November 06, 2019, 03:30:08 AM #7 Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:42:39 AM by Billy
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on November 05, 2019, 02:57:24 PM
As far as I can tell, the M8 comp looks like it will fit. Many of the parts are the same. Cam and sprocket have much wider rubbing surfaces.  Much better than the later TC one.  Anyone tried to see if it will actually fit?  27000 miles on one in an M8 and it's as quiet as the day the bike was new.

The M8 sliding cam is prone to breaking with HP in the 130-140+ range. I believe it's thinner in the valley area, maybe due to the wider rubbing surface.

Pics in this thread.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,108045.0/all.html
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Coverdog

Quote from: Thermodyne on November 05, 2019, 12:34:15 PM
Baker has a new design to their compensator, and I don't know how well its holding up.  The original and its revisions do not hold up well.  I've killed on and its replacement is raising hell.  All in less than 10K miles.

But yet I see guys on forums in line waiting for months to get one. I can’t figure that one out, they must think it’s Baker it’s good? I put in a SE and am very happy so far.

rbabos

Quote from: Coverdog on November 06, 2019, 05:13:18 AM
Quote from: Thermodyne on November 05, 2019, 12:34:15 PM

But yet I see guys on forums in line waiting for months to get one. I can't figure that one out, they must think it's Baker it's good? I put in a SE and am very happy so far.
It's pretty hard to beat the current HD offering for both taking shock loads out and now, finally lasting.
Ron

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Billy on November 06, 2019, 03:30:08 AM
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on November 05, 2019, 02:57:24 PM

The M8 sliding cam is prone to breaking with HP in the 130-140+ range. I believe it's thinner in the valley area, maybe due to the wider rubbing surface.

Pics in this thread.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,108045.0/all.html

I've seen some breakage also.   Still the are motors with those parts hanging together.  The part looks forged so I would expect when going higher power would be worthwhile to magnaflux and shot peen (or some other process) before assembly.

Thermodyne

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on November 05, 2019, 04:12:16 PM
I'm surprised there was such hoopla and raving over Baker products and now everyone claims their stuff is junk. I'm sure glad I never bit on one of their compensators or tensioners for my 08 when I had it.

Baker had a good reputation.  Then they expanded into new areas.  The compensator is something I bet they wish they never drew up on a piece of paper.

I'll never buy another "new" product from them.  As said above, I need to replace the comp that they gave me to replace the first comp that failed.  And I have an twisted Attitude adjuster that they never even responded to when I complained about it failing. 

rbabos

Quote from: Thermodyne on November 06, 2019, 08:52:53 AM
Quote from: road-dawgs1 on November 05, 2019, 04:12:16 PM

Baker had a good reputation.  Then they expanded into new areas.  The compensator is something I bet they wish they never drew up on a piece of paper.

I'll never buy another "new" product from them.  As said above, I need to replace the comp that they gave me to replace the first comp that failed.  And I have an twisted Attitude adjuster that they never even responded to when I complained about it failing.
The way I see it is ,it was rushed to the market without ample testing. They were told the original oiling concept wouldn't work but fk no, don't listen to those idiots.  Must have taken a page from the HD manual on that one. Same with the original manual chain tensioner. Hit the market too fast without enough rough testing.  I don't know if it's been updated to prevent bending or not.  Their latest comp design looks better in regards to oiling but the springs in my view, why bother. A spring that bottoms too soon can cause some major crank impacting, almost worse then no comp. There's a reason the former SE, now stock comps  springs are so huge. Even they will bottom out under high loads but the running start is less to hit bottom.
Ron

Jim Bronson

A friend of mine is on the fence about this too. Now I have some advice to give him thanks to HTT.  :up:
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

jmorton10

Quote from: rbabos on November 06, 2019, 11:45:02 AM
Same with the original manual chain tensioner. Hit the market too fast without enough rough testing.  I don't know if it's been updated to prevent bending or not. 

It's been updated & it's still a piece of crap.

I had one installed when they came out with an updated version called the "armored attitude adjuster".  It was supposed to cure all the bending problems etc. of the original.  They where selling an upgrade kit also to convert the original POS to the new version.  I was a sucker & bought the upgrade kit which added another layer of support to the original setup.

I took my primary off a few days ago to remove a defective Baker DD7 tranny & found the new attitude adjuster parts broken in 1/2 & being ground up in the primary.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

rbabos

Quote from: jmorton10 on November 06, 2019, 04:59:32 PM
Same with the original manual chain tensioner. Hit the market too fast without enough rough testing.  I don't know if it's been updated to prevent bending or not. 

I had one installed when they came out with an updated version called the "armored attitude adjuster".  It was supposed to cure all the bending problems etc. of the original.  They where selling an upgrade kit also to convert the original POS to the new version.  I was a sucker & bought the upgrade kit which added another layer of support to the original setup.

I took my primary off a few days ago to remove a defective Baker DD7 tranny & found the new attitude adjuster parts broken in 1/2 & being ground up in the primary.

~John
Oh. I guess that settles that question then.
Ron

Thermodyne

~John

Here's the Armored tensioner.  Note the bent piece of armor.

skunk

~John

John,
     Not sure if my DD7 is coming out or not this winter(will be revisiting my 1-2 and 2-3 upshift issues with Baker again now that riding days are getting limited) but I think I will open the primary and inspect my "Armored Tensioner ". Thank you for the heads up on your findings.

Thermodyne,
   Thank you for the great pictures

jmorton10

Here's the Armored tensioner.  Note the bent piece of armor.

Mine broke in 2 pieces right in the middle of where that one is bent.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Propflux01

What would be causing this? The product itself? The adjustment too loose/tight?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

rbabos

Quote from: Propflux01 on November 08, 2019, 06:43:33 PM
High decel loads mostly. That's when the chain tries to go straight on the bottom, pushing whatever is in it's way to do so.
Ron

Thermodyne

Quote from: rbabos on November 08, 2019, 07:14:29 PM
Quote from: Propflux01 on November 08, 2019, 06:43:33 PM
High decel loads mostly. That's when the chain tries to go straight on the bottom, pushing whatever is in it's way to do so.
Ron

To be sure its decal loads, or engine braking.  But since the oem part tolerates the same loads without issue, the blame is in a poorly engineered part.  The reinforcement is nothing more than a Band-Aid. 

Now with that said, this is not the only worthless primary chain tensioner out on the market.  And there have been some much better manual tensioners introduce since the Baker was shown to be lacking.