March 29, 2024, 02:00:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Harley parts quality declining?

Started by pauly, November 05, 2019, 04:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly

Hi all,
I had a pulley come loose on a long ride, and the cover got scratched up.
So.. I ordered another pulley cover, bolts, and washers from a local Harley dealer who (after a couple of attempts) got me the right parts.
I sat on the parts until it was convenient for me to do the repair.
A number of months later, I fitted the pulley cover.

The chrome on the bolts and washers was noticeably thinner than the ones they were replacing... to the extent that I polished them hoping to make them appear good quality.
No luck, they still looked like Chinese chrome.

I had to use them but I'm pissed off.

The bolts I replaced were from a dealer in the states,
The new parts were from a dealer in Australia.

Does anyone know if the quality of Harley parts is declining? I've been 100% genuine when I buy parts as I was concerned with quality, however maybe I should be looking around?

Thanks
Pauly

PoorUB

Parts suppliers like hardware can change like the wind, lowest bidder generally supplies the goods. Anything a supplier can do to reduce the price of the parts and still pass the Moco's scrutiny gets put on the parts shelf. The chrome a little thin this time around, the supplier might not get the bid next time, who knows for sure? :idunno:

It is all about the $$$.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

pauly

Thanks @poorub

Crazy - they are charging absolute premium quality prices for crap. This can't go on much longer before Harley looses us loyal customers.
Thanks
Pauly

FSG

QuoteThis can't go on much longer before Harley looses us loyal customers.

IMO they have gone past that (point of no return) already  :SM:

pulley cover ??  I've removed a few and tossed them over the years, pain in the ask IMO  :SM:

Scotty

I use ARP 12 point bolts on my pulley the stainless always looks good unlike harley chrome "Potty mouth".

pauly

Hey fsg,
I get that but very pretty.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: FSG on November 05, 2019, 11:16:06 PM
QuoteThis can't go on much longer before Harley looses us loyal customers.

IMO they have gone past that (point of no return) already  :SM:

pulley cover ??  I've removed a few and tossed them over the years, pain in the ask IMO  :SM:

smoserx1

Just a little 101 on the chrome thing.  Most decorative chrome plating is a three layer process; copper, nickel and chromium.  The chrome layer has to be thin enough so the nickel shows through, and I was told years ago it was on the order of 0.17 mil.  Most paint coats are a mil or more in thickness (a mil is 1/1000 inch bty).  If chrome is too thick to be transparent, it won't be shiny.  Another thing, years ago Harley advertised in their P&A catalog they used hexavalent chrome, which is super toxic, especially to breathe.  Most folks have stopped using that and gone to slightly less toxic trivalent chrome, which some say is not quite as durable.  FWIW I have never been very impressed with Harley chrome bolts.  The latest bolts I used for my brake rotors were Colony and Gardner Westcott.  Now that is good stuff. 

TXChop

I would agree since the M8 bike came out that some of the chrome/finish/hardware is not up to the same level as it was in the twin cam days.

Will it change? Only if the MOCO sees rising costs for warranty repairs on it.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

One word.... CHINA Their Global Supply Chain has ruined Quality and Longevity since beginning in 2014.  I used to see (as everyone did) Made in Mexico on the Electrical Parts. Now I see China, Pakistan, Turkey, UAW, and a few I can't even pronounce. If you haven't noticed, virtually none of their Motorcloths are USA either.
Tom

HogMike

Quote from: TXCHOP on November 06, 2019, 04:45:54 AM
I would agree since the M8 bike came out that some of the chrome/finish/hardware is not up to the same level as it was in the twin cam days.

That's why they are pushing the "blacked out" look. Easier to powder coat than chrome.
Didn't Harly used to do their own chrome in-house?
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

It's hard to do good quality chrome in the USA, the EPA has pretty much killed the use of the best chemicals.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Hossamania

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on November 06, 2019, 05:25:44 PM
One word.... CHINA Their Global Supply Chain has ruined Quality and Longevity since beginning in 2014.  I used to see (as everyone did) Made in Mexico on the Electrical Parts. Now I see China, Pakistan, Turkey, UAW, and a few I can't even pronounce. If you haven't noticed, virtually none of their Motorcloths are USA either.

Duluth Trading is a local clothing company that sells good quality clothes, and has a line of jeans called Ballroom jeans (comfortable in all the right areas). They offered their regular foreign made line, and an identical line made in the USA.
The jeans made in the USA were at least $20 more expensive. I'm not even sure if they offer them anymore.

Dan89flstc

November 06, 2019, 07:31:03 PM #12 Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:43:32 PM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on November 06, 2019, 05:25:44 PMIf you haven't noticed, virtually none of their Motorcloths are USA either.

Harley Motorclothes T shirts, leather jackets, boots, gloves etc have not been made in the US for at least 30 years.

I quit wearing Levi`s when they moved their production offshore, now I get jeans made in USA from here:

https://www.allamericanclothing.com/made-in-usa/jeans.html

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on November 06, 2019, 06:54:59 PM
Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on November 06, 2019, 05:25:44 PM

Duluth Trading is a local clothing company that sells good quality clothes, and has a line of jeans called Ballroom jeans (comfortable in all the right areas). They offered their regular foreign made line, and an identical line made in the USA.
The jeans made in the USA were at least $20 more expensive. I'm not even sure if they offer them anymore.
Their tv commercials crack me up. Probably not cheap though.
Ron

C#

That's not news... chrome is the most noticeable but the parts prices are so disproportionate to the quality that it is more noticeable. Go to swap meets and buy older stuff... including the motorcycle.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on November 06, 2019, 06:29:03 PM
It's hard to do good quality chrome in the USA, the EPA has pretty much killed the use of the best chemicals.
A couple years ago on a golf course, ran into a guy that does HD chroming about 1/2 hour from me. Town called Cambridge. He wouldn't get into details of course.  Not sure if the company still does it or HD found a cheaper place to do it. Most likely non EPA regulated countries is where it seems to be heading. Lack of qc usually follows.
Ron

fbn ent

It's probably harder here. The days of sending a box full out for chrome in the Winter are pretty well gone.  :emsad:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Quote from: fbn ent on November 07, 2019, 07:11:25 AM

It's probably harder here.....

Stupid environment. "Chemicals hurt me." Grow up!

a_disalvo

Different chrome parts are subcontracted out on a yearly basis. One contractor may do cam covers, another, air cleaners. Maybe this is why the push is on for the "blacked out" look, Frank

SixShooter14

Quote from: rbabos on November 07, 2019, 06:58:16 AM
A couple years ago on a golf course, ran into a guy that does HD chroming about 1/2 hour from me. Town called Cambridge. He wouldn't get into details of course.  Not sure if the company still does it or HD found a cheaper place to do it. Most likely non EPA regulated countries is where it seems to be heading. Lack of qc usually follows.
Ron
Cambridge, ON? I've done a lot of work there at the Toyota plants.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

The chrome look lost favor to the murdered out look, hence black exhaust and other parts. Think Night Train. The stock Harley blackout treatment was driven by the regular owners of Harleys that did it to their own bikes long before HD did it. Cheaper to paint it black rather than buy new chrome. Also, your dad liked chrome, and you can't be like your dad.
Same with the Street Glide, driven by owners modifying their Electraglides, Willy saw it, and thought, "Ah ha!"

JW113

Quote from: Hossamania on November 07, 2019, 07:25:23 AM
The stock Harley blackout treatment was driven by the regular owners of Harleys that did it to their own bikes long before HD did it.
Willy saw it, and thought, "Ah ha!"

Yep, that pretty much nails it.

[attach=0]

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Buglet

I just like to know why most of the aftermarket black parts cost more the chrome parts. Why does a black out bike cost more then a chrome bike now.

JW113

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Buglet

I guess people like getting screwed. People have to stop giving in.