May 01, 2024, 04:49:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Wheel bearing spacer

Started by electrajohnt, November 07, 2019, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrajohnt

Hello.
Help if you can please.

I have posted this elsewhere without response. Hopefully someone on here will know the answer.

CVO RoadGlide Ultra 2011. Does anyone know the inside diameter of the front wheel bearing spacer. It would help me to make a puller.

Thanks
JohnT

PoorUB

Well, the bearing  is 25mm, the inner diameter of the spacer is just a hair larger, maybe .1mm or .005".
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

electrajohnt

PoorUB

Thanks' for taking the time to respond. I knew the 25mm dimension, I have the new bearings. I am trying to get a puller ready to use before I start the job. If the inside diameter of the spacer is that close a fit to the I/D of the bearing I 'll not be able to get something behind the inner raced. Seems like I need to make an expanding insert into the inner race that will be able to apply to take the extraction force by friction.

Regards
JohnT

Hybredhog

Those collet type puller/ lock wedgebolt from Georges garage are hard to beat for the $. You just have to rig up an outer support cup. I use mine with a 1/2" impact, and it has lasted longer than a JIM's, and I do about 10:1 of 25mm stuff to everything else.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

fleetmechanic

The old bearings are not always pulled tight against the spacer which allows the flange on the puller collett to grab the bearing inner race a little easier.

PoorUB

Plus there is usually a slight radius cut into the inner race. Just enough for a decent collett puller to get a bite.

To the OP, just buy the puller and installer from George's. It is worth it!

lt1-xjs

The inner spacer has clearance for 1". I used 1" bearings to mount an Enforcer wheel on my 2002 with the 1" axle.
2002 FLHT

fbn ent

Quote from: PoorUB on November 07, 2019, 10:31:21 AM
Plus there is usually a slight radius cut into the inner race. Just enough for a decent collett puller to get a bite.

To the OP, just buy the puller and installer from George's. It is worth it!

:agree:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Boe Cole

I tend to look at the cost of the tool vs its need for multiple uses.  For wheel bearings, I'd just take it to my local indy for bearing replacement - more cost effective and I'm sure he can use the $'s to offset the costs of doing business and his required investment in tools.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.....
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

PoorUB

My issue is I travel a lot and getting the motorcycle or even the tire and wheel to the dealer is a hassle. I can often do the repair at home in less time than it would take to involve a dealer.

borno

I'm cheap and weld a nut to the inner race and knock it out from the other side. I would like a couple pullers though.

rbabos

Quote from: fleetmechanic on November 07, 2019, 10:10:54 AM
The old bearings are not always pulled tight against the spacer which allows the flange on the puller collett to grab the bearing inner race a little easier.
I would hope they are tight against or you will be loading the inner bearing races when you torque the axle up. As mentioned the radius on the inner race will allow most collets to grab.
Ron

Karl H.

Quote from: electrajohnt on November 07, 2019, 09:26:32 AM
...Seems like I need to make an expanding insert into the inner race that will be able to apply to take the extraction force by friction.

Regards
JohnT

This is a cheap friction type driver (Motion Pro)

[attach=0,msg1322302]
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15