April 18, 2024, 04:26:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Harley parts quality declining?

Started by pauly, November 05, 2019, 04:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: SixShooter14 on November 07, 2019, 07:24:02 AM
Quote from: rbabos on November 07, 2019, 06:58:16 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 06, 2019, 06:29:03 PM
It's hard to do good quality chrome in the USA, the EPA has pretty much killed the use of the best chemicals.
A couple years ago on a golf course, ran into a guy that does HD chroming about 1/2 hour from me. Town called Cambridge. He wouldn't get into details of course.  Not sure if the company still does it or HD found a cheaper place to do it. Most likely non EPA regulated countries is where it seems to be heading. Lack of qc usually follows.
Ron
Cambridge, ON? I've done a lot of work there at the Toyota plants.
Me too. Material handling racks, mostly. Cami, toyota, Vutech , and even Saturn in Tennessee . Mind you car companies have a way of turning a nice weld/machine shop into a "Potty mouth" hole once they get in and start the underbidding crap with other suppliers. Good at first, then not so much. Glad I retired from all of that.
Ron

SixShooter14

Quote from: rbabos on November 07, 2019, 08:47:52 AM
It's hard to do good quality chrome in the USA, the EPA has pretty much killed the use of the best chemicals.
A couple years ago on a golf course, ran into a guy that does HD chroming about 1/2 hour from me. Town called Cambridge. He wouldn't get into details of course.  Not sure if the company still does it or HD found a cheaper place to do it. Most likely non EPA regulated countries is where it seems to be heading. Lack of qc usually follows.
Ron
Me too. Material handling racks, mostly. Cami, toyota, Vutech , and even Saturn in Tennessee . Mind you car companies have a way of turning a nice weld/machine shop into a "Potty mouth" hole once they get in and start the underbidding crap with other suppliers. Good at first, then not so much. Glad I retired from all of that.
Ron
Yup, I design the conveyor systems for all the major OEMs Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, GM, FCA.....They all want everything better, but done faster and cheaper at the same time.

I was in Cambridge just a few weeks ago. Luckily, it hadn't started snowing yet.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

rbabos

Quote from: SixShooter14 on November 07, 2019, 08:51:51 AM
Quote from: rbabos on November 07, 2019, 08:47:52 AM
Ron
Ron
Yup, I design the conveyor systems for all the major OEMs Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, GM, FCA.....They all want everything better, but done faster and cheaper at the same time.

I was in Cambridge just a few weeks ago. Luckily, it hadn't started snowing yet.
Got a trace this morning but it's melted already. My riding season is over, so will do all the fluid swaps and prepare for next spring.
Ron

JW113

Quote from: BUGLET on November 07, 2019, 08:10:02 AM
  I guess people like getting screwed. People have to stop giving in.

Bug, all of us'ns on this forum make a conscious decision to buy, ride, and modify Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Therefore, by definition, we absolutely love taking it up the corn hole, while screaming THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER! What else can explain it?  (Rhetorical question)

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.