April 18, 2024, 07:43:26 AM

News:

Piston to Valve Clearance

Started by jamminhd2000, November 06, 2019, 06:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buglet

I would think with all the heads you do you should have a general idea what cams would work with you heads and how to set them up for different cams.. Being they doing nothing with the cylinders or pistons. I for one never had a problem with the heads you did for me.

Don D

And what about all the different pistons and deck heights plus different head gaskets. It all has to be here or the customer needs to check on his side. I can get the heads right. If there isnt enough depth or radial clearance then the pistons go into the mill in a vise and angle plate and get fixed.

Buglet

All Steve showed was one way how to check valve to piston clearance. As far as the customer end it would be easy for cheaper to take the valve springs off and check it that this way he wouldn't need any fixture. I still say some one is trying to make a simple job more complicated. Why would a customer would want to go though the expense for one time use. Each to there own ,there is a simple way or a way if you have to much money.

FXDBI

Very easy to add some clay when using Steve's method thin bit of clay on the pockets and push the valve until it touch's the piston. The clay will tell u the clearance on the pockets.
The other tell you the lift.   :wtf: Its not rocket science. I like Steves method its very simple and will work well.  Bob

Don D

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on November 06, 2019, 06:54:33 PM
Hi everybody,
So we all know there is more than one way to skin a cat and we also know that there is more than enough ideas, opinions and methods on this site.. what I am curious about is how everyone measures piston to valve clearance on the M8 while bottom end is till in bike..... I am very interested in your comments and opinions...thanks everybody....jimmy

You can make a steel or aluminum collar(s) with a nylon set screw to hold the stem.
Measure and set as needed.

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

jamminhd2000

Quote from: FXDBI on November 08, 2019, 02:51:34 PM
Very easy to add some clay when using Steve's method thin bit of clay on the pockets and push the valve until it touch's the piston. The clay will tell u the clearance on the pockets.
The other tell you the lift.   :wtf: Its not rocket science. I like Steves method its very simple and will work well.  Bob

This is exactly how I did it after reading all the comments and it worked out well. I greatly appreciate all of your help in helping me find the process that works for me. As i said in the beginning we all know there is different ways to skin a cat. I wanted to hear the different methods people use so I can adapt it to what I feel works best for me. I guess some people just have to let it be known that there way is the only way and the best way :idunno: thanks again for everyone's help....jimmy

mike jesse

I would suggest checking the P to V at 10 and 5 degrees before and after TDC to get true valve clearance.

You may be surprised at the clearance found.