April 19, 2024, 02:19:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch adjustment

Started by bensfatboy, November 07, 2019, 11:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bensfatboy

I'm going to dismantle the clutch cable from the handle to lube the cable. Is it necessary to readjust the clutch itself if I do that?
Thank you in advance for any replies.

Hybredhog

Yes, if your using a aerosol type cable  luber, collapse the turn buckle on the cable may give you enough room for the tool. If not run the hub screw out to make more free play. When re-assembling, hook up the lever, run the hub screw in until it touches/ sucks most of the free play up, take out the rest with the turn buckle to 1/8" free play, or whatever you feel better with.

If your just trying to do a quicky, pull the lever in & squirt the top exposed cable.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

FXDBI

If its a Teflon lined cable it needs no lube.  Bob

Hybredhog

Quote from: FXDBI on November 07, 2019, 11:38:58 AM
If its a Teflon lined cable it needs no lube.  Bob

In a perfect world, No, coated cable don't need attention. But road grime, wear, ect... chit builds up inside of a cable & the aerosol injector tools flush out the grit. Yeah it ends up down stairs, but its not a big deal if you change gear lube once in awhile. Most throttle cables aren't coated, and need flushed more often.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

smoserx1

I have never had to adjust the clutch itself due to removing the cable at the handlebar for lubing or replacing the entire cable.  I suppose this requirement could change with different bikes or different length cables on the same bike, but at least for a 99 FLHT with a stock cable, no you don't have to do that.

Hossamania

No, you don't have to loosen or adjust the throw out rod. I save that for when I change oil and primary fluid.
I use a 3" piece of garden hose and a hose clamp on the cable and fill with lube.
I prefer Tri-Flow for a cable lube, and I throw in a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil on top of it for good measure, let it all drain in.
Clean and lightly grease the handle, slide, pin, plastic cable holder thingy, perch.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

truck

I lubed the cable the same way Hoss does.
[attach=0]
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Skin

I use an oil squirt can with ATF in it to lube cables. Sam taught us that many years ago and it still applies today. Apparently he figured out that ATF doesn't mess with the teflon coating on the cables. I've never had an issue using ATF. I also go ahead and do a complete top and bottom adjustment because of wear and tear. I wrap a shop rag around the end of the cable and squirt a little at a time in the end while I look the bike over, check tire pressures, brake pads check for anything loose or broken. In other words, spend a little quality time with my Motorcycle. It's Heavenly. 

Norton Commando

Quote from: Skin on November 08, 2019, 03:17:21 AM
In other words, spend a little quality time with my Motorcycle. It's Heavenly.

:agree:
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Hossamania

I'm the same, once it's up on the lift, I like to walk around it and lube things, touch up paint, repair the little things and do some minor mods I've put off. I will take a seat, have a beer and just look it over and usually find one more thing to do. It ends up being on the lift twice as long as I actually planned.

Nastytls

I was always under the impression that if you lubed a cable that's lined with Teflon, it ruins it. Teflon is supposed to eliminate the need for lubing them.

FXDBI

Quote from: Nastytls on November 08, 2019, 06:37:46 AM
I was always under the impression that if you lubed a cable that's lined with Teflon, it ruins it. Teflon is supposed to eliminate the need for lubing them.

:up:   :rtfb:  Old habits die hard especially in the Harley World!  Bob

FSG

:up:    it does    ,  any lube you put in there just gunks it u

Breeze

What year (approx.) did Harley start using teflon coated clutch cables? I know it is visible when disconnected, but I have 3 bikes and can't remember which ones are and aren't coated. Damn "oldtimers" head.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Rusticwater

November 09, 2019, 06:39:47 AM #14 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:49:55 AM by Rusticwater
According to the 2006 Model Year Technical Forum (thank you FSG!) available in the library :wink::

"
- New low friction clutch cable

- Changes result in approximately 35% reduction in clutch lever effort"

That was the year the clutch ramps and spring changed too, the 35% refers to an overall combination of new cable, reduced ramp angle and spring pressure for the Dynas. On the other hand the Softtail and Touring models reference a 24% reduction.
Support the Maine lobster industry

smoserx1

That makes more sense.  I would not have believed a cable alone could reduce effort 35%.

Deye76

:up:    it does    ,  any lube you put in there just gunks it u
[/quote]

Even Tufoil (PTFE)
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

76shuvlinoff

Don't think I've lubed a clutch cable since my 76.   
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

guido4198

I was under that impression too. I have a Barnett teflon lined clutch cable on my '85 FXR. With arthritis in my hands...and the clutch getting "difficult"...I went ahead and shot some spray type "Cable lube" product in it, worked the cable up and down in it's sheath until it was coming out the bottom end. It absolutely lightened up the force required to pull the handle in. That said...I suspect that once you start doing that...you have to keep it up or you may experience gunky buildup. I don't much care...if it helps, it helps.

calgary56

Quote from: truck on November 07, 2019, 07:58:55 PM
[attach=0,msg1322111]
Those are some FINE looking grips :)
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Hossamania

Quote from: calgary56 on November 11, 2019, 09:11:59 AM
Quote from: truck on November 07, 2019, 07:58:55 PM
[attach=0,msg1322111]
Those are some FINE looking grips :)

Same ones you use? I believe those are Harley Nostalgia grips.

Ratfade

Just my two cents here. I have a '94 Electra Glide Ultraclassic; the clutch lever was always a hard pull, but it seemed to be getting harder. I used some 3 in 1 oil with a long stem to put a bunch down the cable.
I could not believe how much easier the clutch lever was to pull. That was over a year ago, and it still works well.

FSG

QuoteSame ones you use? I believe those are Harley Nostalgia grips.

:up:   good comfortable well shaped grips, got them on the Fatty