March 29, 2024, 02:19:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

LED Fuel gauge

Started by sharkoilfield, September 20, 2020, 06:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

I like the looks of the Brass LED fuel gauge, but it only fits '09 and later, my Dyna is an '08. Wires look the same. What changed between 08 and 09 for the Dyna fuel gauge? Fitting or something electrical? I'd like to make it work...

Rusticwater

Quote from: sharkoilfield on September 20, 2020, 06:39:14 AM
I like the looks of the Brass LED fuel gauge, but it only fits '09 and later, my Dyna is an '08. Wires look the same. What changed between 08 and 09 for the Dyna fuel gauge? Fitting or something electrical? I'd like to make it work...

According to the 2009 Model Year Technical Forum (available in The Section), the 2009 Dyna models incorporated a "new fuel tank sender with range readout on speedometer". Comparing the sender and fuel gauge part numbers between the 2008 & 2009 Dyna models show they are different as well.

FWIW the fuel gauge and tank sender circuitry are very dependent upon each other for everything, including the speedometer indicators, to work. Some have lost certain functions when getting rid of the the stock fuel gauge. Here's a thread that mentions several scenarios and potential solutions.
Support the Maine lobster industry

sharkoilfield

Thanks for the detailed info...back to the drawing board!