March 28, 2024, 09:14:42 AM

News:

Unlocking Hidden Horsepower

Started by SB107, November 08, 2019, 07:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SB107

I am wondering what ideas people have that would help squeeze the maximum amount of wheel horsepower out of a build. A few examples I have heard are: high flow oil filter (less power required to pump oil), gear drive cams, roller rockers.

This doesnt have to be just motor related, it can be driveline related as well. I am just looking to leave as little on the table as possible.

What are some ways you would maximize the straight line performance on your ride?

Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

jamminhd2000

There are so many dyno tuners out there that claim to be the best....buyer beware...research your dyno tune guy....talk to people who have used their dyno services...I beleive there is a section here on htt that gives you a list to prepare before hitting the dyno....jimmy

jamminhd2000

Hossamania

Are we talking race motor or street bike?
Ceramic wheel bearings will reduce a lot of parasitic drag. Run light oil in the motor, tranny, primary. Maybe none in the primary if a true 1/4 mile drag bike. Gear drive cams.
Need a few more details on the intended riding conditions. What type of bike?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

rigidthumper

Drag strip kind of straight line performance? Put those ceramic wheel bearings in Carbon Fiber wheels. Lose weight anywhere you can without sacrificing safety (drilling frame to reduce weight makes sense until it folds up on ya ).
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Turbo, supercharger, nitrous, all kinds of ways to squeeze maximum horsepower.
Custom made titanium exhaust, tested and modified with Dyno testing to verify results.
Aluminum or titanium replacing everything made of steel that can safely be replaced, including the frame.

Hossamania

What kind of budget are we talking about?
There was a no replacement for displacement. Except maybe the three power adders listed above.

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

PoorUB

Buy something with more performance potential to start with!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

chaos901

QuoteBuy something with more performance potential to start with!

Now that's not "hidden HP", that would be real HP. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

jmorton10

Quote from: Hossamania on November 08, 2019, 09:46:03 AM
Turbo, supercharger, nitrous, all kinds of ways to squeeze maximum horsepower.

I've run all three of these options at various points over the years.  Nitrous is definitely the best bang for the buck of these three options......

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

SixShooter14

I don't know how heavy you are. But many times losing rider weight can greatly improve performance without much wrenching.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

Quote from: SixShooter14 on November 08, 2019, 12:20:04 PM
I don't know how heavy you are. But many times losing rider weight can greatly improve performance without much wrenching.

Speaking from personal experience, it's easier to buy horsepower...

guido4198

I had a buddy many years ago who decided to build a Harley drag bike and get on the "All-Harley Drag" circuit.
This guy bought ALL the best pieces and parts from all the best shops. Carbon fiber, ceramics, super hi-tech stuff from all over. He quoted some costs to his old lady once for some billet titanium he was having custom fabricated so that (as he explained to her).."he'd be pulling less weight down the track". She promptly told him to get off his fat azz and just lose 20 lbs.. :hyst:

SB107

Quote from: Hossamania on November 08, 2019, 09:31:05 AM
Ceramic wheel bearings will reduce a lot of parasitic drag. Run light oil in the motor, tranny, primary. Maybe none in the primary if a true 1/4 mile drag bike. Gear drive cams.

Street/Strip Build
2007 Dyna
124"
12:1 Compression
Mutant Motors 110 heads
Mutant Motors custom exhaust
TW68G Cam
HPI 62mm

Future Upgrades:
40 Shot
Stretched Swingarm
R&D Trans
Air Shifter

Overall goal is consistent 10s on 93 pump gas.

Im just looking at things to upgrade while it's apart. It will be mostly street ridden, with weekend trips to the drag strip.

Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

SB107

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 08, 2019, 09:33:55 AM
Drag strip kind of straight line performance? Put those ceramic wheel bearings in Carbon Fiber wheels. Lose weight anywhere you can without sacrificing safety (drilling frame to reduce weight makes sense until it folds up on ya ).

Not looking for more performance in the twisties, just looking to get a consistent street/strip bike.

I really want an aluminum +4" Swingarm, possibly drop some weight on the front end as well.

Also I 100% agree about the safety aspect, I want a fun bike not looking to break any records with it.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

SB107

Quote from: Hossamania on November 08, 2019, 09:47:16 AM
There was a no replacement for displacement. Except maybe the three power adders listed above.

5k is about where I would like to draw the line this time around. Already dumping plenty into the motor and driveline build.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

SB107

Working on that too. Currently 230lbs, down from 290lbs in January, Hoping for under 200 by spring.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

rigidthumper

Pingle shifter. Bandit clutch. Busa forks. Shinko stealth tire.
Practice
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

Quote from: SB107 on November 09, 2019, 04:58:53 AM

5k is about where I would like to draw the line this time around.

5K? more of a starting point! :hyst:

PoorUB

Quote from: SB107 on November 09, 2019, 04:54:11 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 08, 2019, 09:31:05 AM

Street/Strip Build
2007 Dyna
124"
12:1 Compression
Mutant Motors 110 heads
Mutant Motors custom exhaust
TW68G Cam
HPI 62mm

Future Upgrades:
40 Shot
Stretched Swingarm
R&D Trans
Air Shifter

Overall goal is consistent 10s on 93 pump gas.

Im just looking at things to upgrade while it's apart. It will be mostly street ridden, with weekend trips to the drag strip.

No crankshaft upgrade?

If I was going 124" and knowing it was going to get beat on at the track often I would be looking over the $&$ catalog.

Another reason I think you $5k "line in the sand" is low.

FXDBI

Blue print the engine has you build it!   Bob

JW113

Unlocking Hidden Horsepower. I think I've seen at least two dozen books with that same title.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

November 09, 2019, 09:44:30 AM #23 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:04:06 AM by Hossamania
Ray (No Cents) uses ceramic wheel bearings and said the bike rolls much easier, and when a wheel is spun, it actually keeps spinning rather than just stopping after a turn or two. Pretty cheap find of hidden horsepower. Every little piece counts.
A story in that regard: a friend of mine got his kid into go kart racing, and started researching just like you, to find hidden horsepower. He learned that the wheel bearings with grease in them would stop spinning after a couple revolutions. But if the grease was cleaned out, and they were lubed with Tri Flow, they would spin 20 or more revolutions, not a long term fix, but the bearings would last plenty long for the length of a race, he would just relube them before every race. It wasn't a huge improvement, but it allowed the kart to roll so much better, taking maybe a few tenths of a second or more off per lap. Not a lot of time, but it adds up to a few seconds at the end of ten laps.
At the beginning of the year, his kid ran dead last or close to it, of course. By the end of the year, his kid was running up front and had even won a race. The next three years he took the championships.
A mother came up to him and told him they cheat, that's why by they win. He says, interesting. We came out here yesterday and practiced all day, used up a brand new set of tires, changing air pressures, practicing different lines thru corners, changing Jets in the carberator, and keeping detailed notes on what worked and what didn't. Funny, we haven't seen you or your kid out here practicing all year. So if that's cheating, yes, we cheat.

SB107

Quote from: PoorUB on November 09, 2019, 06:38:53 AM
Quote from: SB107 on November 09, 2019, 04:58:53 AM

5k is about where I would like to draw the line this time around.

5K? more of a starting point! :hyst:

I already will have 15k+ into the motor and drivetrain.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE