March 28, 2024, 10:35:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch clunk

Started by beach3091, October 03, 2019, 03:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beach3091

hi how are you all hope all is well.
i have a 2001 883XLH sportster i had the bike for only 6 months it has 7100 miles on it. i don't know if this is normal or what. it does not do it all the time. sometimes as i release the clutch slowly in first gear it sounds like it spins then grabs and that is when i hear the clunk but i learned to use the clutch so it does not happen but every now and then i hear it like it spins and grabs with a clunk other wise the after first gear its fine. talked to a few of my buddies that had sporsters and they tell me its normal on some of them i do not know if that's so. i hope someone can tell me what it may be if its not normal. i adjusted the clutch the proper way the shop manual says to. thanks for your time and help.

14Frisco

A fairly common issue with Sportster clutches (well, I guess it is not model specific) is the spring plate.  The spring plate consists of two plates riveted together and it is fairly common that the brass rivets break.  When that happened on my bikes it resulted in a similar feeling you are describing, suddenly grabbing.
It could be that, it could be something else.  Like the throwout bearing coming apart.

beach3091

ok and thank you for your time and help i will keep you up to date thanks again.

72fl

November 09, 2019, 05:23:14 AM #3 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:02:58 AM by 72fl
I bet the rivets are shot DO NOT keep riding it get in there and get it replaced b4 you have major problem, search youtube for clutch replacement on Sportster, Look up EnergyOne or Barnett Extra plate Clutch Kit, you get 2 metal and 1 fiber to eliminate the Spring clutch plate, not the easiest of jobs but it can be done again look around youtube for Sporster extra plate Clutch Upgrade.