March 28, 2024, 12:18:48 PM

News:

Removing the Speedo and Tach

Started by Pete_Vit, November 08, 2019, 08:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete_Vit

I'm getting back to fixing up the Wife's Sporty from her accident, I need to repair the mount for the speedo/tech, it's a 93 XLCH1200, I've removed the cans from the back of the units, and I can't remove them from the mount.
removed the rubber gasket and the can they live in like I said but I still can't get them out so I can straighten to mount and repaint. does the  top chrome ring screw off as well?
any pointers I'd appreciate  :up:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Panzer

Pete, I don't think the ring unscrews, don't go there.
Try squirting some penetrating oil around the mount and the gauge, let sit for an hour or so and twist the cans free.
I suspect corrosion has sealed them to the mount.
Just an idea mind you.

Carry on!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

72fl

Pete there I think is 2 screws on the back and the speedo reset knob. unscrew all 3 yes the speedo reset unscrews. The bottom plate will come off then there is a rubber gasket, kinda thick remove that, wiggle the gauge back and forth from bottom side, then as it is loosened push it out from the bottom to the top. :up:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: 72fl on November 09, 2019, 05:21:07 AM
Pete there I think is 2 screws on the back and the speedo reset knob. unscrew all 3 yes the speedo reset unscrews. The bottom plate will come off then there is a rubber gasket, kinda thick remove that, wiggle the gauge back and forth from bottom side, then as it is loosened push it out from the bottom to the top. :up:
:up: yeah, that's what I did and I'm trying to get the speedo and tach out but the chrome ring is too big, do I have to remove all the wiring from the back too  :crook: ?

72fl

Pete there is/should be a plug for all the wiring to the gauges relatively close to the handlebar clamp/riser area that can be unplugged. There is a thick rubber gasket underneath the gauges that needs to be removed and the gauge gauges should be able to be wiggled and pushed up, it is possible that the wires are restricting the gauge from pushing up.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: 72fl on November 12, 2019, 05:17:46 AM
Pete there is/should be a plug for all the wiring to the gauges relatively close to the handlebar clamp/riser area that can be unplugged. There is a thick rubber gasket underneath the gauges that needs to be removed and the gauge gauges should be able to be wiggled and pushed up, it is possible that the wires are restricting the gauge from pushing up.
:up: ok, thanks I'll check 'er out 72  :beer: