April 16, 2024, 04:11:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Weirdness: Idle set speed slowly increasing in PowerVision log

Started by jjdalynh, November 08, 2019, 12:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdalynh

So, i'm trying to help someone out and i got a log from them and see in the logfile that the set idle speed (what the ECM wants it to be) keeps increasing (even as engine temp increases), however the PV map shows that by the time it reaches the logged temperature, the idle speed should be a steady 1000rpm. 

Never witnessed this before...... :scratch:

It's a 2003 Police bike.  I've googled around a bunch and gotten no hits.

KE5RBD

May try richening the idle up 2 or 3 points.  Idle speed is pretty sensitive to lean rich conditions.  Hotter it gets the higher it may try to idle to a point.  Make sure the idle VE is set 2 points higher in the 1100 idle range than the 1000 also can help.  I usually take it out of closed loop at idle also.
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

rbabos

Herko

"...trying to help someone out and i got a log from them...
...idle speed (what the ECM wants it to be) keeps increasing...
...the PV map shows...steady 1000rpm."

Have you verified that stated PV map is in fact the one flashed into the ECM?
Easy to verify. Make an extraction and compare.

If good there, then check the mechanicals and electro-mechanicals. (Older model...circa 2003)
Air leak (as stated)
Fuel quality
Fuel pressure
IAC operation
IAT sensor
Temp sensor
Battery
Charging
Grounds
And so on
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

jjdalynh

thanks for the input. 

VE in idle range are already pretty rich.  If it was an intake leak i would've thought that it would be saying that the VEs need to go up (he's using auto tune pro on a 2003 police bike).  he did say that he messed with the idle a bit using PV, suspecting now that the idle settings in PV are overriding the map idle set speeds, not sure though since i never messed with that on PV directly, i just use winpv. 

jjdalynh

Quote from: jjdalynh on November 10, 2019, 05:58:15 AM
thanks for the input. 

VE in idle range are already pretty rich.  If it was an intake leak i would've thought that it would be saying that the VEs need to go up (he's using auto tune pro on a 2003 police bike).  he did say that he messed with the idle a bit using PV, suspecting now that the idle settings in PV are overriding the map idle set speeds, not sure though since i never messed with that on PV directly, i just use winpv.

this was in fact what happened.  idle is fixed now.