March 28, 2024, 08:11:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Smoking Ironhead

Started by JW113, November 08, 2019, 04:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

Baisley and others do seals in ironheads. He also does vey nice roller rockers for ironheads.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Burnout

I'll have to talk to Ryan next time I'm over there.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Maddog

no valve seals!! the little extra oil helps keep the valves cool,,, one can run seals on the intakes but not exhaust,,

JW113

So do manganese-bronze valve guides, or so I have been told.
:wink:

A little puff of blue smoke every now and then never hurt anybody, but in my humble opinion, the main benefit of using valve seals is to reduce the amount of bleeaakh that builds up on the back side of the valve heads.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hybredhog

I ran guide seals on both int. & ex., mostly using cast or Ampro45 in the day on everything. You can set them up significantly tighter than stock (like under .002" on ex.), as you don't get the build up on the exhaust stems. You just had to watch your top collar clearance with help from trimmed down guides & relieved lower collars.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

JW113

Well hell's bells, some progress. Like I said last November, maybe get my parts back by March. Well, I didn't miss it by much!

I picked up the cylinders yesterday, and he's cutting the 2nd plug holes today. With any luck, they will be ready today or tomorrow. I had to take him a "shorty" J12YC plug this morning as he didn't have any in the shop to adjust the plug depth with.

Knocking on the door of 5 months to get a Ironhead top end done. He explained to me that with the volume of TC and now M8 stuff through his shop, all the tooling is optimized to crank that stuff out. Any oddball stuff like Ironheads or other antique stuff he has to reconfigure all his equipment, so he only gets to it when he has the time. I get it, and I know going in that it's going to take a long time, but he does excellent work and he's local. About the only guy in the south bay area anymore that does this stuff. About the only other shop is Duncan Keller, but he ain't any faster.

Hopefully in a couple weeks, back on the road and start tuning it for the dual plugs.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

nibroc

.... :gob:....JW. patiently awaiting on an update...... :chop: