April 25, 2024, 12:02:40 AM

News:

D&D fatcat

Started by IronButt70, November 09, 2019, 08:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

I've had a D&D fatcat 2/1 on my 2017 softail for almost 2 years. I love the way the bike runs and performs but the loudness is starting to wear on me. Is there any way to quiet it down. I know if it's possible I'll lose some performance but that's OK. Any other quieter baffle that will fit in there? TIA
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

cherryseeg2

FuelMoto offers their e-series slip on to use on your fat cat head pipe.
2005 Cherry SEEG2-J&B Performance 120 163hp/144tq

tomcat64

I think D&D makes a "quiet baffle"

IronButt70

November 09, 2019, 09:52:02 AM #3 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:09:13 AM by IronButt70
Quote from: tomcat64 on November 09, 2019, 09:46:13 AM
I think D&D makes a "quiet baffle"
I called and ask. No quiet baffle available

Quote from: cherryseeg2 on November 09, 2019, 09:13:20 AM
FuelMoto offers their e-series slip on to use on your fat cat head pipe.
Thanks. I'll give them a call.

yobtaf103

Search DOC HARLEY: HERITAGE SOFTAIL COMPARISON on youtube

They fitted a supertrapp muffler on a fatcat, gave details in the comments about it

IronButt70

$588 for the muffler is more than I'm willing to spend. The 5" DS baffle plates won't fit either so that's out too.  :angry:

kd

Did you check prices with California Phil?   :wink:
KD

IronButt70

Quote from: kd on November 10, 2019, 07:48:58 AM
Did you check prices with California Phil?   :wink:
Not yet but I will do that. The FM E-series is $350 on their site and I can live with that but it looks like it's for FLH models. If I go that route I'll probably have to fabricate some type of mount bracket.

harpwrench

You might be able to adapt supertrapp discs to your muffler, it's been done in the past and posted about on HTT (but not on your specific model)

There's a rough but cheap supertrapp muffler on eBay you could pick up for parts. There's also a sweet one for a buell but I don't know if the inlet size is same. It came up searching supertrapp harley, and selecting used , he spelled buell as buel

klammer76

Unfortunately, Fuel Moto has discontinued the E-Series. I talked to them last week after not seeing it anymore on their site and was told it's discontinued.

FXDBI

Quote from: klammer76 on November 11, 2019, 04:32:38 PM
Unfortunately, Fuel Moto has discontinued the E-Series. I talked to them last week after not seeing it anymore on their site and was told it's discontinued.

:scratch:    https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-22164513-fuel-moto-e-series-2-5-universal-megaphone-muffler.html

Bob

klammer76

Quote from: FXDBI on November 11, 2019, 07:16:43 PM

:scratch:    https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-22164513-fuel-moto-e-series-2-5-universal-megaphone-muffler.html

Bob
Well that's funny. I looked on their site last week and couldn't find that (was looking for the muffler shield). Called and talked to sales and was told they stopped making the e-series due to it not selling. Sales guy said it's a great exhaust but just didn't sell (I agree and have had one for years both White Bro's original and a FM also). Asked about the collector and shield and he said nothing left except some some stuff for dyna. WTH?

Thanks for the link.

IronButt70

I ordered one. We'll see.  :nix:

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 07:28:54 AM
Glad you got one. It's got a good sound once broken in. quiet but deep. Will perform well also. I have both a Jack Pot collector and an e-series collector. Ran the Jack Pot last year, works very well but loud. Probably go back to the e-series next summer.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 12, 2019, 10:09:25 AM
Glad you got one. It's got a good sound once broken in. quiet but deep. Will perform well also. I have both a Jack Pot collector and an e-series collector. Ran the Jack Pot last year, works very well but loud. Probably go back to the e-series next summer.
Got an e-mail that said processing order.  :bike: As bad as I scraped the fatcat on the twisties maybe I should have ordered 2.  :hyst:  How many disks do you use to get the sound you like?

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 11:29:27 AM
Got an e-mail that said processing order.  :bike: As bad as I scraped the fatcat on the twisties maybe I should have ordered 2.  :hyst:  How many disks do you use to get the sound you like?
My 2002 is now a 103 with some work done to it. On my original WB e-series I used 12 discs when 95 and 17 when 103 as I recall. With the FM I used what they sent which was 14. I repacked the original collector twice as the wrap had burned out a bit. That one was a bit louder over time than the FM (but the FM was new). When I converted from carb to efi last winter and had a couple of valve seal issues addressed I used a Power Vision tuner. My tuner tuned with both the Jack Pot and the e-series collectors (the head pipe is the same). I was surprised the Jack Pot had better curve than the e-series did but not by much. We used a few combos of discs (10,12,14,16). It liked 14 & 16 the best.

When the bike was a 103 in 2014 it was still caricatured and using a jetted but otherwise unmolested CV40 (to retain cruise control). I think slightly small carb helped the low end tq with that set up. The new set up uses a 51mm HPI TB with 4.3 injectors (motor and all else are the same). I picked up HP & TQ with the Jack Pot and remained basically the same with the 14 & 16 disc e-series just didn't come on as quickly.

I think you will like the e-series sound. It's a really good exhaust IMO, some don't like the look and I think that is why it didn't catch on again. I can send you or post the dyno sheets if you like or you can search them out here. Also, you can use early WB discs on the FM collector. Just need to frill out the bolt holes slightly as the FM uses slightly larger (and harder to find) metric socket head bolts.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 12, 2019, 12:04:22 PM
My 2002 is now a 103 with some work done to it. On my original WB e-series I used 12 discs when 95 and 17 when 103 as I recall. With the FM I used what they sent which was 14. I repacked the original collector twice as the wrap had burned out a bit. That one was a bit louder over time than the FM (but the FM was new). When I converted from carb to efi last winter and had a couple of valve seal issues addressed I used a Power Vision tuner. My tuner tuned with both the Jack Pot and the e-series collectors (the head pipe is the same). I was surprised the Jack Pot had better curve than the e-series did but not by much. We used a few combos of discs (10,12,14,16). It liked 14 & 16 the best.

When the bike was a 103 in 2014 it was still caricatured and using a jetted but otherwise unmolested CV40 (to retain cruise control). I think slightly small carb helped the low end tq with that set up. The new set up uses a 51mm HPI TB with 4.3 injectors (motor and all else are the same). I picked up HP & TQ with the Jack Pot and remained basically the same with the 14 & 16 disc e-series just didn't come on as quickly.

I think you will like the e-series sound. It's a really good exhaust IMO, some don't like the look and I think that is why it didn't catch on again. I can send you or post the dyno sheets if you like or you can search them out here. Also, you can use early WB discs on the FM collector. Just need to frill out the bolt holes slightly as the FM uses slightly larger (and harder to find) metric socket head bolts.
Thanks for all the info. Assuming that I get 14 disks with the muffler I'll try that first. I'm sure there are more to be found on Amazon or E-bay if needed. What is the length of the muffler? Couldn't find any info on the FM website.

86fxwg

Curius as to what baffle's in ur fat cat now?
Just did a 110 with a wrapped Perferated baffle & that was his complaint too.
Ordered the louvered baffle & he's happy.
I wouldn't wish trying to remove the old one on anyone! I understand why she giggled when he told her what we were doing!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

IronButt70

Quote from: 86fxwg on November 12, 2019, 02:01:48 PM
I wouldn't wish trying to remove the old one on anyone! I understand why she giggled when he told her what we were doing!

Mine is the louvered baffle. Still too loud. I removed it, cut away the metal chamber and wrapped it with ceramic muffler cloth hoping it would help quiet it down. No bueno. My son said it sounded quieter to him but I couldn't tell much difference.

86fxwg

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 02:07:23 PM

Mine is the louvered baffle. Still too loud. I removed it, cut away the metal chamber and wrapped it with ceramic muffler cloth hoping it would help quiet it down. No bueno. My son said it sounded quieter to him but I couldn't tell much difference.
:up:
Ur the one that counts, unless its the misses thats complaining!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

IronButt70

November 12, 2019, 02:44:32 PM #20 Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:50:30 PM by IronButt70
Quote from: 86fxwg on November 12, 2019, 02:10:53 PM
Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 02:07:23 PM

:up:
Ur the one that counts, unless its the misses thats complaining!

Unfortunately the Mrs. is no longer able to ride.  :emsad: The best way I found to remove the baffle was to take the muffler off, remove the retaining bolt and tap the end of the muffler on a piece of wood until it slides to the end then grab the flange with a pair of vice grips and pull it the rest of the way out.

98fxstc

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 02:44:32 PM
Unfortunately the Mrs. is no longer able to ride.  :emsad: The best way I found to remove the baffle was to take the muffler off, remove the retaining bolt and tap the end of the muffler on a piece of wood until it slides to the end then grab the flange with a pair of vice grips and pull it the rest of the way out.

I bolted a bit of metal to the muffler using the muffler bracket fixing holes and was able to slam the bit of metal down onto a wooden stump and get the baffle out without damaging the muffler.

IronButt70

Got an e-mail conformation and a Fedex tracking number so I guess we're good to go.  :bike:

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 12:16:58 PM
Quote from: klammer76 on November 12, 2019, 12:04:22 PM

Thanks for all the info. Assuming that I get 14 disks with the muffler I'll try that first. I'm sure there are more to be found on Amazon or E-bay if needed. What is the length of the muffler? Couldn't find any info on the FM website.

I don't have the e-series collector with me where I'm at right now but the Jack Pot measures 25". I believe the e-series is the same. I'll check it later today.

Let us know what you think when you get it. Glad you got confirmation.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 13, 2019, 05:06:01 AM

I don't have the e-series collector with me where I'm at right now but the Jack Pot measures 25". I believe the e-series is the same. I'll check it later today.

Let us know what you think when you get it. Glad you got confirmation.
25" would be great. Don't want it to stick out beyond the right side bag.