March 28, 2024, 11:55:36 AM

News:

'02 Ultra upgrade

Started by FTBY55, November 11, 2019, 07:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTBY55

November 11, 2019, 07:49:06 PM Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:04:23 PM by FTBY55
I have a '02 Ultra purchased new with a Stage 1 flash, SE A/C and SE Slip-ons. Stopped by the dealer on Friday for a primary chain inspection cover gasket and while there asked about a Stage Two flash and if they were available. counter person smiled and said nope, we won't even work on anything that old.
So I will be going to my local Indi shop to have  my engine upgraded a bit. I am considering the S&S 509G gear drive system with oil pump. I will retain the stock pushrods and have rockouts installed while disassembled. I figure I wont have to worry about adjusting rods.
What recommendations can you make for fuel injection and ignition mods? Has anyone used a Police ECM? Is DynoJet the way to go? Other options? I am not increasing compression or displacement.
Thanks, I appreciate all feedback.

kd

Look at a tuner that will allow the best adjustment.  You'll likely get a few suggestions from tuners with experience.  Not what you asked, but you may want to check your crank run-out before buying those gear drive cams. 
KD

FTBY55

Run out of less than 0.003 will be checked before final decision. I am keeping my fingers crossed or the other option is the 509C kit.

Not familiar at all with tuners and not a computer savy kind of guy. Other bike ('96)has  a Mik42 and Dyna2000 Singlefire Ignition and RB Racing 2 into 1. with A/F ratio gauge.

Hossamania

Find a reputable tuning shop and go with their recommendation on the brand of tuner to use.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

rigidthumper

2002 is Delphi, so TTS, Power Vision, and Direct Link are all options.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

And pay for a proper Dyno tune, rather than just a canned map "stage 2" flash.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

FTBY55

Well I had the work done finally. Run-out was at 0.003 so I went with the S&S 509C kit with adjustable pushrods and new precision lifters. Rock-outs installed and a TTS tuner installed. Spent a bit of time on the Dyno ($450) but she is tuned. Replaced intake manifold gaskets while apart. Just waiting for some nice weather to try her out. Pouring rain out here in AZ.
Thanks to all for the responses. Much appreciated.