April 18, 2024, 02:05:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2000 Front cylinder cuts out at random

Started by Prostock, November 13, 2019, 04:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prostock

2000 road king.  Coil, charging system, crank position sensor, wires and plugs all replaced.  Carberated bike.  125K miles.  Front cylinder cuts out when it wants.  Hot cold,  once a week, 3 times a day, short and long periods of time.  Wires all checked under tank.  wiggle, ohms ect.  Any ideas.  Thanks

Scot

Scotty

Checked the CPS (Cam Position Sensor) which they still used in 2000 and is in the cam cover.
If you upgraded with a 2001+ igntion module then it would be out of the picture but if not then worth a look since you have replaced everything else.
Also the ignition module could be going south as well

hogmandon

I had a similar problem with my 06 RG. Bike just started running on rear cylinder. Code said it was no compression in rear cylinder. Some how wires send a signal back though coil and cut out cylinder. Got rid of SE wires and went back to stock. Helped for awhile but ended up being combination coil and wires on my bike.

smoserx1

QuoteChecked the CPS (Cam Position Sensor) which they still used in 2000 and is in the cam cover.
If you upgraded with a 2001+ igntion module then it would be out of the picture but if not then worth a look since you have replaced everything else.
Also the ignition module could be going south as well

Yep, on my 99 the ignition module began failing at around 114K miles.  Any new module you get (unless it were rare NOS) would not use the Cam position sensor anymore.  Found out years after I replaced my ignition module I didn't need the cam sensor.  The other post about the feedback is true for later bikes but I don't believe yours or mine does that.  Could be wrong though.