April 19, 2024, 09:42:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

different oil transfer situation ?

Started by thumpr54, November 13, 2019, 09:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumpr54

2009 FLHR...almost 53K...been thru the compensator repair a while back. Last time I had the derby cover off to fix a leak the oil was running out as if if had been overfilled...??.... :scratch:...couldn't figure out how I could have done that...it was upright on the lift....anyways..fixed derby leak...rode it a bit....and then noticed the engine oil was low....runs good...no leaks...not smoking at all...air cleaner dry.....put a quart in...rode some more....and engine oil level is down again....so I'm betting if I pull the derby cover it'll be overfull again....got the Road Glide on the lift right now and just picked up a project 75 Super Glide to work on too...so it may be a bit before I get a chance to get back to the Road King....not much riding left this season anyways.....so engine oil transfer to the primary ??....don't see anything like that searching here....wadda ya think ?
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

barny7655

To solve your own problem , think what the two share as in ,seal,shaft,front primary access to engine ? as to the rear you have gear box shaft, clutch assembly,you have addressed the front compensator repair,thinking you will have to re look at this area ,if your sure that this fluid is engine oil,,
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

PoorUB

November 14, 2019, 02:35:47 AM #2 Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:45:41 AM by PoorUB
Yes, a Twin Cam will blow engine oil out through the crank shaft seal if the seal fails. I had a 2010 Ultra that did the same thing. One day I checked the oil, a couple days later it was a quart low. Pulled the primary and compensator and replaced the crank seal, it was hard as a rock. No more trouble after that.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

BigT

Seems like you can answer your own question by simply taking your derby cover off again and checking the oil level.

fleetmechanic

I've had to replace two or three of the crankshaft seals on our 2009-2010 FLHTPs.  Same symptoms.

02roadcling

Is this possible on a 2002 FLHR also? Just curious is all.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

fleetmechanic

Yes.  The seal # is 12068 and it goes back farther than that.

rigidthumper

12068 seal fits 99-17 TC models, and is susceptible to hardening & leaking.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

Just replace the crank seal. Where else can the engine oil pass into the primary? No where! Unless the case has a hole in it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

thumpr54

Thanx, Gents....I hope I don't have a hole n my case....it runs too good...researching the service manual..I see installing the seal with the cases split....after getting the comp and clutch off....and probably the alternator rotor...how big a job is removing and replacing the seal.....any special tools needed ?

Ohio HD

Jims 775.

Check with your favorite HTT indy.

[attach=0]

Tireman

1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

IronButt70

Quote from: Tireman on November 15, 2019, 03:35:27 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0CXOngEZKjk

I used drywall screws to remove and a piece of pvc to install
Now there's a guy after my own heart.  :smiled:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

thumpr54

:up:    it'd be nice to be able to spring the bucks for a nice tool that I'd probably never use again...at least I hope I don't have to do another sprocket shaft seal....

-deuced-

Quote from: Tireman on November 15, 2019, 03:35:27 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0CXOngEZKjk

I used drywall screws to remove and a piece of pvc to install

Is that your video? Seal is installed incorrectly.

smoserx1

Here is another video.  I realize this is a much older engine but this one addresses the seal orientation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRMBKlzqSfU

Tireman

1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

RTMike

Slide hammer with a sheet metal screw on the end works good :potstir: