March 28, 2024, 04:42:25 AM

News:

Best year for engine mods

Started by johnchev89, November 15, 2019, 03:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnchev89

Looking to build a sportster for some light to light action and cruising the local bike nights.
Something along the lines of a street legal drag bike.
What would be the best years for performance mods?
Plan on a dual disc front end, probably chain drive.
  What are thoughts on the Basanni Pro street pipesfor sportsters.

aswracing

hogpipes1

johnchev89

What are the drawbacks of the 04 and up bikes?

rigidthumper

You have to split the 04 & newer cases to do any trans work, and they are heavier than the earlier cases. 
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PC_Hater

Quote from: johnchev89 on November 18, 2019, 03:27:34 AM
What are the drawbacks of the 04 and up bikes?
They are heavier, can be quite nice, good for long fast rides due to reduced vibes from the rubber-mounting.
The up-to-2003 proper Sportsters rattle and snort and I have one, but I'm so old I wouldn't thrash it around Europe anymore. It hurts too much. A weekend to northern France is the most I can manage now! I have a Road-Glide for touring.

Splitting the cases to repair the transmission on the 2004-up bikes really isn't anything to worry about. This is Harley Tech Talk where sad old farts come to whinge so 'many' will say they had to split the cases to fix the transmission.
British bikes had unit construction since 1962 or thereabouts, in 92,000 miles I never took my T140V apart to fix the transmission.
Don't worry about it.

If you want to build a fire-breather pay attention to aswracing.
If you want a nice bike - follow your wallet and your heart.
Ignore those that say an 883 can't do it - nobody ever said a 500 BSA or my 750 Triumph or an 850 Norton had too small an engine...
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

johnchev89

Not too much worried about the older bikes being a rigid mount. 
Just going to be a hot rod.  And already plan on using a Hammer engine package.
That way I can tone down my softail for everyday riding. Should be able to find a used 883 pretty cheap around here.

If i go with a chain conversion would it be possible to fit a 150 series tire under it?

72fl

Where's around here located at ?

I see 03 sporty's and down going for a couple grand actually around here  :hyst:(Illinois)as I have been involved in two of these builds on my own 883's/1200, last one I bought Wheelie bars for and never got the opportunity to install them or even ride it as Health issues come into play.

johnchev89

I'm in the Tampa Bay area.   I have seen a few 03 and down bikes under $3000. 

rigidthumper

It can be done. I ran a Shinko 003 stealth 170/60-17 tire on the back of my 88" XL.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 19, 2019, 05:19:05 AM
It can be done. I ran a Shinko 003 stealth 170/60-17 tire on the back of my 88" XL.

Those 88" XL engines are a GREAT way to get the power from a Sportster.
110 hp and 100 ft/lbs with ease.
Must have built a dozen or more of those, over the years.
Did one in a Buell once.....brutal.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

PC_Hater

Quote from: johnchev89 on November 18, 2019, 03:30:16 PM
Not too much worried about the older bikes being a rigid mount. 
Just going to be a hot rod.  And already plan on using a Hammer engine package.
That way I can tone down my softail for everyday riding. Should be able to find a used 883 pretty cheap around here.

If i go with a chain conversion would it be possible to fit a 150 series tire under it?
Assorted fat-tire kits are available so you can go as wide as you want. LedSled customs have instructions for their kit, but for a proper fast bike I would choose something a bit better.
A 180/55x 17 radial should be quite nice on the back! And needed if you build it right.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S