April 25, 2024, 02:43:32 AM

News:

New project.....75 FXE

Started by thumpr54, November 15, 2019, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

Key West to Pensacola Fl. is 890 IIRC
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

thumpr54

January 01, 2020, 09:24:34 AM #51 Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 09:29:28 AM by thumpr54
I'm trying to rotate the tach pix 180 but when I go to the 'attachments and other options' I only have the 'more attachments' choice....no option to rotate.....not sure what I'm doing wrong....

got it....had to hit the other...upper modify button...to the right of the subject line...not the lower one below the text...
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

klammer76

Quote from: thumpr54 on December 31, 2019, 08:21:41 PM
Ahhhhh...Alzada, Montana...get thru there several times a year usually....helluva place to break down.....but not extremely far from Rapid and the Black Hills...     LKFLWK  Little Known Facts....Little Worth Knowing... Alzada, Montana...extreme southeast Montana.. to Yaak, Montana...extreme northwest Montana....is 835 miles.(Mapquest)    Chicago to Washington, DC is 702 miles...5 states. Yup, Montana is a big place. According to Capn Tim's calculations we rode thru 2 dozen mountain ranges last year...not all in Montana.....Yessir we are blessed....Got the oring for the main jet n put carb back together....getting a squirt from the accelerator pump now !  :up:   still working on the front brake....and got the tach off.....this is getting long so I'll do another post with that but I think it was hooked up wrong....oh....and happy new year gents.... :SM:
Yup, Alzada, MT. Great place to be on Tuesday of rally week. Stone House Saloon for topless Tuesday. At least that is what I have been told  :wink:

thumpr54

I haven't been there for that event but have stopped many times and vistied with Diane, the owner. My friend Megan went to Topless Tuesday a couple years ago...good reports....except it was a hot day and they got torched outside standing in the sun....but Megan was a spectator...and not a contestant….I couldn't convince her.... :SM:
Looky what I found.....I hadn't mentioned recently that this FXE is a 1975....mine is an 1980....I have the 80 FSM and assume they're pretty similar electrically...as well as most other ways. In looking for something else I found the tach from my 80....if I remember correctly when  put the Fat Bobs on I rigged the tach mount to use it temporarily….the 75 and 80 tachs are pretty similar but the 80 says Nippon on it so a different supplier, I imagine...no info on the 75......and the 80 has IGN and TRIGGER stamped into the bottom of the case to identify the terminals. The 75 has ACY(?) and GRB, I think it is, painted in black near the 2 terminals. I'm gonna suspect the ACY is for accessory....that's be the 12V+ for power and dial lights...the top of both pix is the top of the tach where the dial lights attach...

klammer76

January 01, 2020, 02:23:01 PM #54 Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 02:29:11 PM by klammer76
Quote from: thumpr54 on January 01, 2020, 12:53:32 PM
I haven't been there for that event but have stopped many times and vistied with Diane, the owner. My friend Megan went to Topless Tuesday a couple years ago...good reports....except it was a hot day and they got torched outside standing in the sun....but Megan was a spectator...and not a contestant....I couldn't convince her.... :SM:
Looky what I found.....I hadn't mentioned recently that this FXE is a 1975....mine is an 1980....I have the 80 FSM and assume they're pretty similar electrically...as well as most other ways. In looking for something else I found the tach from my 80....if I remember correctly when  put the Fat Bobs on I rigged the tach mount to use it temporarily....the 75 and 80 tachs are pretty similar but the 80 says Nippon on it so a different supplier, I imagine...no info on the 75......and the 80 has IGN and TRIGGER stamped into the bottom of the case to identify the terminals. The 75 has ACY(?) and GRB, I think it is, painted in black near the 2 terminals. I'm gonna suspect the ACY is for accessory....that's be the 12V+ for power and dial lights...the top of both pix is the top of the tach where the dial lights attach...
My first Harley at 18 years old was a used 1975 FX. Great bike, wish I still had it. Cut my teeth on that bike, had it apart several times. I still have my SM & Parts manual for it, however it is in storage. I'll see if I can dig it out when I'm up there again. If have a question I'll look it up etc if you need once I find the right box.

[attach=0,msg1328512]  [attach=1,msg1328512]

jamnut

January 01, 2020, 04:46:08 PM #55 Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 05:09:50 PM by jamnut
Quote from: thumpr54 on January 01, 2020, 09:11:07 AM
:up: :SM:       I'm suspecting the tach was hooked up wrong by whoever worked on it last....maybe whoever replaced the speedometer.... probably a decade or more ago.....    according to the skiz....and some posts here...there should be connections for 12+, the signal wire from the coil(pink)....and a ground. The pink wire was hooked to the terminal on the right...and the left terminal was tied by the short jumper to ground...which I believe is wrong. The terminal at bottom center is ground/case but nothing connected there....I believe this is where the ground jumper to the mounting post goes, instead of the left terminal.....and the 12+ to the left terminal ? There was no + to the tach dial light or the tach itself.   Anyone know for sure before I start experimenting ?

[attach=0,msg1328484]

That tach is Harleys first attempt at a tach. I know because i bought one back in '74 or '75 for $100. Back then HD still meant hundred dollars. It's a weird hook up. It hooks to the charging system. It only works with the stator that has 4 wires. The regulator with 6 wires came on bikes with a tach. 4 wires in 2 wires out. The black wire went to the batt pos,the pink wire went to the "alt" teminal on the tach. The other terminal on the tach is ground. Bikes without a tach had a 5 wire regulator.

Edit-- I should have said first attempt at an electronic tach. They had cable driven tachs for years ahead of this one.
Slim. - one owner '73 FX
2001 FLHTCUI converted to carb

thumpr54

Spent quite a while on it today....there is no orange wire coming from the headlight like my 80 diagram shows....orange being the ignition ckt...and the 80 diagram looks like the headlights are on for both ignition switch positions.    ...this 75 has 2 blacks coming from the headlight that are only hot when the ign switch has the lights on...one of those is hooked directly to the speedo dial lamp...the other was hanging loose...weird for both to be hot with the lights....I'd think one ignition and the other lights ? If the tach needs 12V it should be there in the ign/run position...otherwise the tach would only come on when you turned the lights on......... I suppose there's a decent chance it's not exactly factory stock wiring....  :crook:  and I'm not too excited to open up the headlight bucket...did my Sporty last year....I'll pass unless it's really necessary....and this isn't even mine....just get it running decent before the auction....

Ohio HD

Number 36 is the tachometer.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

thumpr54

Thanx, Ohio....someone here just hooked me up to the complete correct FSM....I'm gonna study a bit....this site is tits !    but then we already knew that......that's why we're here....  :up:

thumpr54

January 11, 2020, 01:04:19 PM #59 Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:18:53 PM by thumpr54
OK....had some time to study this.....I see the difference between the 3 and 6 wire regulator systems...and I think this 75 has been modified....maybe someone here can say whether this is/was a common 'update'....as a 75 it should have the 6 wire setup....but this one has only 3 wires.....the 75 skiz shows 4 wires coming from the stator and the 80 has only 2.....this 75 has only 2 wires coming out of the case from the stator. The 75 skiz shows a pink wire going from the regulator to the tach....I got the pink wire from the tach going into the headlight bucket but not a clue from there...except it doesn't go to the regulator like the 75 diagram shows...  Oh...also got it where I can run it again and have a couple heat cycles on it....running much better after diddling with the carb. Still no luck with the front brake....yet....

thumpr54

January 27, 2020, 03:46:54 PM #60 Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:42:22 PM by thumpr54
no comments on the prev post so I'm just gonna assume it's been upgraded to a later style charging system....stator and regulator. Now something else I noticed....on the primary cover...near the starter solenoid...there's a threaded hole. My 1980 primary doesn't have this hole, I'm pretty sure. I looked in the parts list and don't see anything related. I know these early primarys oiled the front chain with engine oil and sucked the excess back to the oiling system. They're supposed to be sealed but I figure as long as there's enuf oil to cover the return hole in the bottom of the primary it should suck the oil back ok. Any ideas on what this hole is for ?....other than attaching a vacuum gage... :scratch:
Went back and looked at the parts diagram again....there's #56...switch, hole cover...that might be related but not a clue what it's for....some use on earlier models maybe....

jamnut

FLH exhaust crossover pipe mounts to that hole. Must be an FLH outer cover.
Slim. - one owner '73 FX
2001 FLHTCUI converted to carb

thumpr54

I suppose I should Loctite a bolt in that hole to plug.....and probably look at the FL parts diagram to just familiarize myself with it....this'd be my second FX to wrench on....no FL experience.....yet....