April 18, 2024, 10:53:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question about the way the brake system works

Started by Iron horse, November 17, 2019, 09:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron horse

Is it a  independent brake system with 2 master cylinders
Or is it a link system using one master cylinder and which it wouldn't matter which lever you applied for the brakes front or rear both wheels will stop the bike.

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

fleetmechanic

If he has a '14 or later touring model then the brakes are linked.  '13-earlier with ABS are still independent for each wheel.

92flhtcu

Need a bigger garage

smoserx1

I thought with linked systems the rear MC operated the rear brake and one front brake and the hand lever MC operated the other front brake.  Or is it more complex?

Dan89flstc

Quote from: smoserx1 on November 21, 2019, 04:58:57 PM
I thought with linked systems the rear MC operated the rear brake and one front brake and the hand lever MC operated the other front brake.  Or is it more complex?
That is how the `80s era gold wings worked. The HD system is much more complex.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Both the ABS and REFLEX Systems work via the E.C.M. Programming and the ABS Module as the central interface between the B.C.M. ABS, and E.C.M. If an issue is detected during system check at Battery ON, BOTH systems are disabled and you're left with your standard non-ABS / REFLEX System.

Both Front and Rear Systems are Separate Systems linked by an Electronic Modulator that remains inactive until the E.C.M. recognizes and routes information to the Solenoid based on input for the Wheel Sensor and  B.C.M. Front Brake Monitor Programming.

Background - On all Baggers (excluding the Standard) can be programmed PRIOR to delivery but not AFTER Delivery; something to keep in mind if you're looking for the LINK System on your Harley-Davidson).

I have asked people to include Engineering, "WHY can't the Standard use it since it has the exact same components?"

It's the Infotainment System. Currently, the interface requires the same B.C.M. to operate. The Standard does not have the Infotainment System.

However, I have been told to look for changes in the 2021 MY for almost all to have it accessible.

They are essentially two different animals using the E.C.M. as the central determining factor for operation of one or both based on user input.

Neither System works below 7 MPH. Both are active above 7 MPH. HOWEVER, when stopped and the Front Brake Lever has pressure applied and then released, the front brake remains ON until the vehicle moves forward and it is released. So, basically, you don't have to hold the lever at a light - It won't re-activate until the Motorcycle reaches 7 mph or above to tell the E.C.M. it's a new Cycle and to do it again.

On a brighter note, I don't think we've seen any problems in our shop with them as most new systems usually have comeback or Service Bulletins.

LINK Systems - The earliest systems used a metering valve to decrease pressure in the rear system (-70% 30% Active)  while the Front was at 100%. Many of these systems had controls for the Operator to tun on/off. A variation of "Rear Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes" in the Motorcycle Arena.
Tom

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on November 21, 2019, 09:48:43 PM

Background - On all Baggers (excluding the Standard) can be programmed PRIOR to delivery but not AFTER Delivery; something to keep in mind if you're looking for the LINK System on your Harley-Davidson).   

I`m missing something here, What can be programmed?

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on November 21, 2019, 09:48:43 PMI have asked people to include Engineering, "WHY can't the Standard use it since it has the exact same components?"   

Again, use what?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

c1tori

To the best of my knowledge 14 and later touring bikes have linked brakes. At speeds above 25mph application of the front brake also activates the rear brake.  Again above 25mph activate the rear brake and the left front brake also is activated. At speeds below 25 both brakes work independently.

PoorUB

What he said was as long as the bike has the infotainment system it can be programmed to have linked brakes. So most of the baggers. The Eglide standard does not have infotainment  so no linked brakes. It is all programming  the ECM as long as all the components are there.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

14GuineaPig

Would you lose the "linked brakes" if you replaced the Boom audio with an aftermarket system?  Just curious. 

james r

15 Road King,
No Infotainment,
Do I Have Linked ABS Brakes ?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: james r on November 22, 2019, 04:52:52 PM
15 Road King,
No Infotainment,

Do you have an ABS Lamp Indicator on the Speedo that flashes when started and dims out when above 7 mph? Or, just look behind the R/H Cover.
Tom

Karl H.

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Dan89flstc

November 23, 2019, 06:37:48 AM #16 Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:51:23 AM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: PoorUB on November 22, 2019, 10:33:44 AM
What he said was as long as the bike has the infotainment system it can be programmed to have linked brakes. So most of the baggers. The Eglide standard does not have infotainment  so no linked brakes. It is all programming  the ECM as long as all the components are there.

That is not what he said, what he said was incomplete and I couldn`t understand what he meant.

The E Glide Standard has linked brakes, as does the Road King.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

PoorUB

Read it again.  It is clear to me what he said, but apparently not to you, including what I said.

c1tori

November 23, 2019, 10:25:21 AM #18 Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:33:30 AM by c1tori
 on my 14 Limited the Infortainment unit has nothing to do with braking, linked or ABS.

Dan89flstc

November 24, 2019, 07:38:02 AM #19 Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:44:20 AM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: PoorUB on November 23, 2019, 09:20:31 AM
Read it again.  It is clear to me what he said, but apparently not to you, including what I said.

You said:
The Eglide standard does not have infotainment  so no linked brakes. 

What is clear to me is that you are misinformed.

My `19 E Glide standard and my `16 Road King do have linked brakes, and neither has an infotainment system.

But my question was for Pirsh Fire Wagon, who made the post that I did not understand, feel free not to answer for him.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Dan89flstc

Quote from: james r on November 22, 2019, 04:52:52 PM
15 Road King,
No Infotainment,

Yes, your bike has linked brakes.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

PoorUB

Quote from: Dan89flstc on November 24, 2019, 07:38:02 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on November 23, 2019, 09:20:31 AM

You said:
The Eglide standard does not have infotainment  so no linked brakes. 

What is clear to me is that you are misinformed.

My `19 E Glide standard and my `16 Road King do have linked brakes, and neither has an infotainment system.

But my question was for Pirsh Fire Wagon, who made the post that I did not understand, feel free not to answer for him.

The point was if it does not have linked brakes and has infotainment the brakes can be reprogrammed to linked brakes. It it does not have infotainment and does not have liked brakes it can not be reprogrammed to linked brakes.

He was not talking about bikes that have linked brakes already.