March 28, 2024, 11:08:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S/E PRO STREET tuner won't connect

Started by TXChop, November 21, 2019, 01:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXChop

Anyone have that issue before? I have a 2020 flhxse with a new tuner and 2 new sets of cables.
Never used this system before as I hate it but wanted to keep warranty on customers 45k bikes.

I plug everything in and won't get the check. Battery os charged. Not sure what else to try. All updates were done as well. Any guesses?

TXChop

Red light is on all the time when connected with run switch on.

rigidthumper

Version 20.002.5006? 
Open software, click on tuning.  Set run/stop switch in run position, turn ignition switch on.
Wait a couple seconds, then click on VCI (next to available calibration). Does it show a calibration stored in the VCI, or is it a bunch of question marks?
On the left side of that screen, does it show the VIN of the bike, or does it say "No Communication"
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

TXChop

I'll check the version when I get back. I just u installed and reinstalled and updated everything.

It's a cvo so no ign switch. Run switch on.
No vci #comes up just no communication.

HV

Make sure its connected to the Data link connector....not the Accessory power plug ......both are in the same area
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

TXChop

TXChop

HV

Red light on...its getting power...but not seeing the ECM....Bad VCI......Wrong program ( seen this using the non Street Tuner software )....or wrong Data link connector......If the software is not up to date it will not see the 2020s
Skype HV.HTT

TXChop

I was hoping not a bad VCI.
http://streetperformancetuner.harley-davidson.com/StreetTuner.aspx
I downloaded from there.

I may try another bike or laptop tomorrow and see.  :banghead:  I have 2 2014s and a 2017 in the shop i can see it it connects at least.

rigidthumper

There were some 6 pin cables ( early softail/dyna canbus) that had a different power in than the 2014 and newer touring models ( I don't remember specifics, but i believe one had power on pin 5, and the other on pin 6). The early 6 pin cables wouldn't program the touring bikes because of this.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

TXChop

Well, gave up on it. 2 laptops. 2 sets of cables. 2 different bikes. I concluded the VCI was defective. Light comes on but no communication.

Dealer i purchased from was not willing to test it. They will replace but noted they will charge me back if not found defective.
They did offer to drop off bike and tuner and they will test. (at possible cost for diag)

Second dealer not willing to assist at all in testing.

HD corporate said to go to dealer willing to work with me.

Long story short. More than 7 hours out of my life. Money and time wasted and i'll never use one again. I've done a dozen or more TTS's and many dozen PV's and never even a hiccup.

(sorry a little salty today.lol)

Thanks for everyone's attempt at helping.

HV

I cant see why the Dealer wont take it back or try another one...its not married to the bike yet if it wont connect  :nix:
Skype HV.HTT

KE5RBD

That light on vci is power connection.  The green light on lower left of screen where the X is  is data connection also will hear sound when hooked up and turned on. No green light no data connection. You said it was CVO, you still need both run and master switch on.  Look in the serial connector and make sure no pins bent over and the Data port on the bike and make sure pins are straight. Had this same issue on Power Vision once as used a 4 pin to 6 pin adapter that was only for powering up.  It would turn the PV on just couldn't do anything that required a connection to ECM.
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

TXChop

Well it's confirmed. Vci was in fact defective.
Dealers replaced under warranty but charged me115 plus tax to determine it was defective after having the customer bring his bike to the dealer for them to verify.

joe_lyons

Moral of the story is don't use SE tuners.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

TXChop

Quote from: joe_lyons on December 12, 2019, 07:57:36 AM
Moral of the story is don't use SE tuners.

I'll never use one again.

If you dont want to void warranty there arent many options.

Powercommander V :dgust: Then the customer will have to know to remove before going to dealer.
Thundemax. 1000 bucks and you have to swap it out before you go to dealer.

KE5RBD

You can install a street tuner if worried about warranty.  Then install Power Vision and use it.  If you need warranty you can reinstall street tuner simply by installing your last tune stored on the Street tuner VCI and the digital technician  will detect that Legal Street tuner is installed and not report to Momma. Atleast I have seen this done couple of times on stage 4 upgrades.  Makes lot of difference using the PV.
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.