April 19, 2024, 11:40:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE M8 Cams

Started by WhipLash96, November 26, 2019, 04:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

Quote from: VernDiesel on November 28, 2019, 02:23:40 AM
Whip the SE8-462 power cam is also still stage 2 but a step up from the torque cam. Still has the low end but more push above 4k rpm according to MoCo's catalog dyno charts. No more work or expense. Do the Pro Street Tuner dyno tune. An aftermarket tune and often exhaust voids warranty. The Harley EPA tune doesn't leave that much on the table at this level. I know dealerships want to sell you stuff but the Stock Air breather is fine at this level. The Street Canon will give a lil better sound and flow and still retains warranty. But It doesn't buy you much in terms of performance at this level mostly a better sound. Better aftermarket pipes will need to be CARB approved if you want to retain warranty. This should run well then after your basic 2 years warranty if you are not satisfied you can step up with an aftermarket cam pipe tune etc. My 2 cents.

I will take look at that 462, it seems to be in the realm that I am looking for in all honesty. Thanks
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

November 29, 2019, 06:13:04 AM #26 Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 06:13:57 AM by rigidthumper
Quote from: VernDiesel on November 29, 2019, 03:05:31 AM
He can do a SE cam & SE EPA approved tune and have a good running bike without voiding warranty. That's all he is after.  Why the next guy has to have a mild aftermarket cam for the same riding objectives an aftermarket tune & non compliant exhaust to pick up 3 hp and "Potty mouth" the warranty makes no sense to me.

Now if he wants to go dramatically faster and get say 130 HP sure by all means screw the warranty do it up aftermarket know the risks enjoy don't look back.

Buy extended warranty?  Not this guy.  Perhaps for an older gentlemen with a touring bike who has no interest in better than stock performance who just wants low out of pocket no hassle repairs when touring.
I am not interested in the extended warranty either. That is just throwing money away. I am planning a long road trip for the summer out west and I need this bike to be as reliable as it can be under the warranty. Thanks for answering the questions as asked.
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Here I am almost 4 years later and I still haven't purchased an M8.  :gob:  I almost have my Twin Cam finished. That bike is my hot rod.

I'm back in the market for an M8 to have as my touring bike. Still not interested in an all out build though.

For the new bike I want to address the known weak points. (Lifter cuffs, intake manifold, head breathers and tune). Did I miss anything?
Thanks,
Whip

rigidthumper

Lifter cuffs are plastic, not necessarily a weak point. Take care removing the retaining bolt.  Plastic manifold has shown to be an issue. Use the latest appropriate factory oil pump if you get an earlier bike. Make sure the primary vent hose kit has been installed.  Decat head pipe with decent mufflers are more than adequate for stage 1. Bolt in cams & tune are seeing 120-130 TQ/110-120 HP routinely on the 114/117 engines with no reliability issues.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HogMike

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 17, 2023, 03:19:46 AMHere I am almost 4 years later and I still haven't purchased an M8.  :gob:  I almost have my Twin Cam finished. That bike is my hot rod.

I'm back in the market for an M8 to have as my touring bike. Still not interested in an all out build though.

For the new bike I want to address the known weak points. (Lifter cuffs, intake manifold, head breathers and tune). Did I miss anything?

You may be surprised how nice the M8 baggers run.
I would suggest at least riding it stock until the warranty runs out. That will give you time to get all the little things fixed.

You have your "fast" bike, so keep the new one for cruising!

JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

60Gunner

Quote from: WhipLash96 on November 28, 2019, 04:56:31 AMMan, the way that everyone is talking, I think that I may just leave the engine completely bone stock until the warranty expires and then just do what it is that I want. By the looks of the graphs, if I were going to do anything from the dealer, I would go with the 447 simply because I am rarely riding at 4000 rpm. I do get there, but just not often enough. Lots to consider.

Someone asked on which platform. The bike is a Road King Special

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

This is your best bet. My friends here with M8s either wait or say screw the warranty and do it right. Not one of them even consider anything SE and is a waste of money. Not the moco's fault really but EPA compliant is EPA compliant and will leave you disappointed.