March 28, 2024, 04:10:09 PM

News:

76 FXE Project

Started by DA71FX, November 27, 2019, 06:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DA71FX

Well after 3 moves, and multiple 6 month deployments, I am finally able to start on the 76 FXE that replaced my 71....I have yet to really tear into it and determine what is lurking in the cases. It does sound ok and does not leak so there is that ..It is very filthy and there is a fair amount of surface rust as the previous owner let it sit and mostly neglected it. Over the next few weeks I will be going through he and I hope to get one or two good rides in before New Years.....
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Mark222

Nice project, keep us posted

JW113

Indeed! The "before" pics don't look so bad. What is your plan? Just clean it up and ride it?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on November 27, 2019, 08:27:59 AM
Indeed! The "before" pics don't look so bad. What is your plan? Just clean it up and ride it?

-JW
i agree mr jw.. pictures are not the best though

DA71FX

I will get some better pictures up after Thanksgiving. Inside the cases are a set of S&S 4 3/4" Flywheels. The Bike has S&S jugs and heads along with a Super E carb. I swapped out the pitted and rusted triple trees for a set of clean FXWG/FXST trees.
The list of needs:
Tires
Brake Lines
Oil Lines
Cables
Tune up
Bushings for forward controls....(will probably replace the controls with some 1981 FXWG)
Also on the list is a set of tins and paint.

93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

DA71FX

November 28, 2019, 08:49:38 AM #5 Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:24:50 AM by Coyote
A few More Pics

[attach=0,msg1324707]

[attach=1,msg1324707]

[attach=2,msg1324707]

[attach=3,msg1324707]
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

JW113

Looks like some nice innards in that motor, very cool. For those chrome bits, try some very fine steel wool and coca-cola, followed up with Blue Magic chrome polish, and then wax. Quite often the rust stains on chrome originate from a tiny pin hole through the outer chrome layer, allowing all that rust stuff come bleeding out. The red/white paint scheme looks nice, you plan to retain that?

:up:

-JW

Reddog74usa

Looks like a fun project. I suspect your list of what's needed is going to grow depending on what's needed once you really get into it. As said, looks like you got some nice parts with the deal which should make for a nice result. One piece of advice I would give you when doing this project is to try to order parts when you are ready to install them as I have found so many parts that didn't quite fit right or just didn't work at all and with 6 months from when I bought the parts there not taking them back. OEM parts are THEEE WAY TO GO if you can find e'm
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

DA71FX

December 02, 2019, 04:22:56 PM #8 Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:34:32 PM by DA71FX
Quote from: JW113 on November 28, 2019, 01:10:27 PM
Looks like some nice innards in that motor, very cool. For those chrome bits, try some very fine steel wool and coca-cola, followed up with Blue Magic chrome polish, and then wax. Quite often the rust stains on chrome originate from a tiny pin hole through the outer chrome layer, allowing all that rust stuff come bleeding out. The red/white paint scheme looks nice, you plan to retain that?

:up:

-JW

That is the plan regarding cleaning up the chrome for now....I'll send a set of rocker boxes out as these are peeling in a few spots....As far as the paint...the red and whie are going away...I was a paint and body tech for for about 20 years in a previous life....so I will give it something special yet subtle....

@ Reddog74usa thanks for the ideas.....I have a pretty extensive parts stash, this is shovel number 4 for me and I have have been collecting H-D parts since 1990.

I am sure you are correct about the parts list growing (and after market parts not wanting to fit)...I have all ready replaced the triple trees and bearings and I know I will at a minimum inspect and repack the wheel bearings as well...As far as parts not on the list....I pulled a set of new chrome (NOS HD) hand controlls from the pile along with a set of biltwell thunder risers and 16 inch apes. I forgot to mention that i replaced the Le Pera bare bones with a Mustang Fastback seat, and may pull a set of progressive shocks and fork springs from the stash...I will probably move the ignition switch to the dash and use a FL style dash and a set of 68-73ish 5 gal fat bobs as I have a few sets with the emblem strips..(though I do have a nice set of 72 3.5 gal tanks with the strips....) Obviously a new petcock and a rebuild of the S&S E. That is if I do not replace it with a B or my personal favorite SU....and if I think i need more leg room on the right side I can keep the Super E.

Eventually much of the chrome will be replaced with powder coat, paint and polished aluminum as I prefer a low key ride....like my old 71FX

93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

RTMike

:chop: the motor sounds wicked ,4 3/4 stroke is my favourite and work the best the other parts should be easy to find and you be flying soon,Good Luck

Don D

They had a Liberty Edition that year, pretty cool

Buglet

One of my customers has a whole collection of the Liberty Editions from XL's to FX's right to FLH's . I think he has one for ever day of the week or close to it. They are petty nice looking bikes.

One4Tone

..yes your '76 model is a beauty. Probably among the best looking superglides of that era.  I have a basicly stock  '75 fx. I have added an electric start, went to the fxe battery and housing. No HD emblems on the tank...and amazing how many mellenials have no idea what type of bike it is. I think these bikes will become classics if they are not already.

JW113

Heck yes they are classics. A 40-ish year old Shovelhead today is what Panheads were in the EVO 90's. Best hold on to what you have, and gather up more while they're still relatively cheap!

-JW

DA71FX

I agree 100% we should gather all the shovels we can....I have said to my friends on more than one occasion that shovels are today what pans and knuckles  were when I started riding.... in a case of "holiday luck" I just required my old 71FX that I sold 5 years ago. This now means two running shovels. The only changes being the bars and rear wheel to the 71 from how I had it. Right now it is sitting at a friends house out of state and I will go pick it up next weekend.

I have made some small progress with 76, though now that I have the 71 back the 76 will change direction. The wide glide will come off and I will do a set of stock FXE tins for it, and I will fit a narrow glide of of an 84 FXE and a set of 9 spoke mags until I can get around to properly rebuilding the 76 front end and brake I have in the corner. I plan to detail the engine and transmission. Pictures to resume after the new year.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Buglet

I have to check but I think I have a NOS front end Assembly around for a 76 FXE still in the box.

DA71FX

That's pretty cool....I am trying to get this bike a bit more correct but not 100% just a clean 80s maybe early 90s bike....the same stuff that was around when I was starting to ride and these things were not scarce as they are today.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

crock

Looking back thru the pics and noticed that's a very unique nose cone :scratch:
Crock

Racepres

Quote from: crock on January 21, 2020, 04:34:36 AM
Looking back thru the pics and noticed that's a very unique nose cone :scratch:
Unique to S&S

DA71FX

Just a few updates, work has managed to get in the way but thanks to COVID 19 I have some time to work on the shovel. The carb is on the bench for a rebuild and needed cleaning. I have rebuilt the front end and calipers. The bike has had a few cleanings and will be getting more.

I have bobbed an old dresser fender and am fitting a fxlrc tank to it. I think the lines are good . Here is a pic of the mock-up. More to follow.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

DA71FX

Just a few pics..... starting the paint work. Step one
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

motorhogman

Love that color.. My 73 was a candy apple red lacquer.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

JW113

DA71FX

Thanks,
I'm trying to get this wrapped up over the next week or so....I have a few projects that are geared towards the Ironhead board and an Evo rigid ..... build I have been putting off for years....

There is just something about candy apple red over silver or gold that just looks so nice
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Hossamania

One of my favorites, even if black is faster!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on April 28, 2020, 03:54:30 PM
ive got this thing about not lending money to anyone.to much hassle getting it back

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on April 28, 2020, 04:47:41 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on April 28, 2020, 03:54:30 PM
ive got this thing about not lending money to anyone.to much hassle getting it back

I was referring to the candy apple red. I think you're responding to my tag line.

DA71FX

More pics coming later today....
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

DA71FX

Here are a few more pics.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

DA71FX

Just an update, the 76 is back up and just needs a bath
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Ohio HD

guppymech

The new paint job looks Great!  Is that a FXR Low Rider Custom tank?  My '84 SG came with the same Speed Ball with Eagle Head logo, nice.

Tom
'84 FXE, '02 883R

DA71FX

Thanks everyone, yes it is a FXR Low Rider tank.  Currently the bike has FXR fox shocks, race tech springs and emulators for suspension. The engine is 4.75 inch stroke with 3.5 inch bore. I didn't check to see what the cam is, but it has 155 lbs of cylinder pressure. It currently is running a S&S super E and a power-arc ignition.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

76shuvlinoff

Nice! I bet that sounds as good as it looks too.  :wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on May 16, 2020, 03:26:26 AM

It does have the proper pipes!

turboprop

Thats a really nice looking trouble head. Congrats.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

crock

Quote from: Hossamania on May 16, 2020, 08:35:41 AM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on May 16, 2020, 03:26:26 AM

It does have the proper pipes!

I have very similar pipes and my neighbors love them! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
Crock

Hossamania

A Shovel with drag pipes, one of the best sounding motor combos ever.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on May 17, 2020, 12:33:05 PM
A Shovel with drag pipes, one of the best sounding motor combos ever.
i second that

Racepres

Don't know how my post above got screwed up...and Too Dumb to fix it...
Sound... #1 nothing sounds like an Iron Harley.... Nothing... not even close IH or Knuck... Pick one.
An Evo and a Shovel sound exactly alike If [Big Word] If the EVo gets Iron Cylinders... like about Half of them at the Drag Strip..But the EVO breathes better... so if you listen... you can hear the difference.
Now, Look at all of the Threads on Performance... then slap some 2 bit Drag pipes on and Wreck all that...
For good old "Sound" a bit of compression and Drag Pipes....and Sound like???? A Racer????
Nah

JW113

I have always thought that Shovelheads have a unique sound as well. Instead of a pop-pop-pop or thump-thump-thump to the tone like Evo/TC, they have more of a chuff-chuff-chuff note. I figured that was due to the big honkin' exhaust valves and port volumes and 45 degree mounted valves.

-JW

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on May 19, 2020, 09:22:14 AM
I have always thought that Shovelheads have a unique sound as well. Instead of a pop-pop-pop or thump-thump-thump to the tone like Evo/TC, they have more of a chuff-chuff-chuff note. I figured that was due to the big honkin' exhaust valves and port volumes and 45 degree mounted valves.

-JW
And Dual Fire don't hurt for the real Sound!!
yes Shovels are a bit distinctive...An EVO with Iron cylinders more than Matches that sound... especially with Compression. but... Not like an Iron Motor... to my Ear, All Iron is very Distinctive Indeed...

JW113

Iron or no, the chatter from the valve train in an Ironhead is distinctive indeed! All those gears and mechanical tappets. Music! Well, cacophony anyway.
:SM:

-JW

DA71FX

I couldn't agree more, the drags were on it when I got it.... I've always been a fan of 2-1 systems, other than that I have had good luck with cycle shack M- pipes on street shovels. Cycle Shack used to have a 2-1 I liked similar to their PHD212 that both looked good and performed well. It seems like now the options are either thunder headers or R&B....or.......
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Racepres

Quote from: DA71FX on May 21, 2020, 12:52:54 PM
I couldn't agree more, the drags were on it when I got it.... I've always been a fan of 2-1 systems, other than that I have had good luck with cycle shack M- pipes on street shovels. Cycle Shack used to have a 2-1 I liked similar to their PHD212 that both looked good and performed well. It seems like now the options are either thunder headers or R&B....or.......
The OE Pipe is a very good one...

DA71FX

I do have an OE headpipe, I just need to find a decent collector for it
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Racepres

Quote from: DA71FX on May 27, 2020, 07:06:40 AM
I do have an OE headpipe, I just need to find a decent collector for it
Must be a 1977 thru 1980 or so 2:1 Huh?

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

DA71FX

Quote from: Racepres on May 27, 2020, 10:38:51 AM