March 28, 2024, 05:26:28 PM

News:

oil pump

Started by david lee, November 28, 2019, 01:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

whats the best way to reseat the check ball without removing the pump.took the bike for a ride after sitting for 5 mths. started first press of the starter but dripped oil out the breather.thanks

BBSGS2019STG2

I have not tried this but have heard it many times. Have two check balls ready, remove the check ball in the oil pump, drop a fresh one in. Take a small punch reach down into the pump and strike the ball against the seat. Remove that ball and drop a fresh one in, reinstall spring and cap.

After 5 months of sitting most will have oil in the case, if oil  dripped out of the breather hose it sounds like you are OK. With a lot of shovels oil will gush out of the breather hose after sitting that long.

76shuvlinoff

My first start of the year is with a catch tray under the breather outlet. After that we're good.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

96flhpi

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on November 28, 2019, 04:30:27 PM
My first start of the year is with a catch tray under the breather outlet. After that we're good.

Same here

Hillside Motorcycle

We field many calls in the spring of each year saying that oil is coming out of a "tube" under the bike.
Catch can under the bike :up:, and all is usually just fine.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Mule

A friend of mine, his bike would sump if it sat for a week. When he had a cam bearing failure ,I did the repairs for him, I am not a shop and I don't do it for a living.  But when I did the repair , I did the re seat of the check ball seat as mentioned above.  Now it will sump after a couple of months sitting instead of a week.

One4Tone

...i have often wondered if an inline on -off valve would work...be a way to stop sumping...would need a reminder by the ignition key...

Hossamania

November 29, 2019, 03:21:27 PM #7 Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:34:58 PM by Hossamania
It's been discussed here a few times. One or two have said they use a big orange pinch clamp on the hose. A shut off valve invites potential for serious damage, in my opinion. If you forget to turn the fuel on, it won't start, or may start and die. If you don't turn the oil on, well, ...

This thread has a discussion of the same issue and some solutions.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,106301.0.html
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.