March 28, 2024, 06:15:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Grounding the voes for timing

Started by misfitJason, November 28, 2019, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

Forgive my ignorance here as it is the first time I am ever installing a voes onto a bike.  When I am going to time the bike with a light the Dyna 2ki, it tells me to ground the voes. What exactly does that mean. Do I ground the wire leading from the ignition module (purple wire) or both wires leading from the voes? So basically like it's not hooked up and plugged in?
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Burnout

Grounding the VOES wire eliminates the VOES as a possible problem when setting timing. Grounding the VOES wire simulates a high vacuum condition and the module will provide full advance (of the selected curve), as that is what you are concerned with when setting the timing.

You can test the VOES after setting the timing and re-connecting the VOES disconnect the vacuum line to the VOES and watch the timing change (retard).
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

turboprop

Quote from: misfitJason on November 28, 2019, 07:01:12 PM
Forgive my ignorance here as it is the first time I am ever installing a voes onto a bike.  When I am going to time the bike with a light the Dyna 2ki, it tells me to ground the voes. What exactly does that mean. Do I ground the wire leading from the ignition module (purple wire) or both wires leading from the voes? So basically like it's not hooked up and plugged in?

The instructions ae telling you to sound the wire coming from the module that connects to the VOES.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

misfitJason

Quote from: turboprop on November 28, 2019, 07:11:08 PM
Quote from: misfitJason on November 28, 2019, 07:01:12 PM

The instructions ae telling you to sound the wire coming from the module that connects to the VOES.

Thanks you
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail