How can I tell if this is the newer framed 09 Road King?

Started by Molly, November 30, 2019, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Hi guys. Been a long time.

Looking at a Road King Classic for sale online. Described as an 08 but has the 96" motor. I'm wondering then if it follows that it's an 09 model with the newer frame? Here's the VIN if it helps. Thanks in advance.

5HD1FR41X8Y694212

Coyote

Coyote

VIN
5HD1FR41X8Y694212    Make
Harley-Davidson    Model
FLHRC    Year
2008    Trim
FLHRC
Style/Body
Motorcycle - Touring    Engine
1584CC

road-dawgs1

The rear fork/wheel would have been a good indicator as well, but you've already got your answer.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

PoorUB

Seems to me the 96" came out in '07, so I  am confused why you would  think it was an "09?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

That man was asking because he didn't know, so why be concerned as to why he asked.         

Molly

Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated, gentlemen.

My engine / year confusion came from the following article when I was trying to research the answer.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/harley-davidson/harley-davidson-road-king-2009-2017-used-guide

I'm keen to try one with the later frame so will keep looking.

Thanks again.

PoorUB

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 30, 2019, 02:24:55 PM
That man was asking because he didn't know, so why be concerned as to why he asked.       

He implied that he thought it was an '09 because of the 96". It seemed to me that he thought he knew something I didn't.

So in my asking he posted a link to an article that has wrong or misleading information. Now I now why he thought that.

PoorUB

Molly, something to consider is the 103" came out in all models in 2012 if I remember correctly. So depending on what is important to you you might like for a 2012+ with a 103" and get the little more "bump" over the 96". If it makes no difference, then '09 and up touring has the newer frame with no major change until the '14 touring models came out. Keep in mind the '08 through '12(?) compensators were crap so if you run into a low mile bike it will probably need to be replaced.

tomboyjr

I believe the '09 would have the 180 rear tire. I bought a '10 Ultra because I was waiting for the new '09 frame design to shake out. Mine was a 96" and I put 72000 trouble free miles on it. I know in '10 that the 103" was an option, but came standard on the Limited.

Hossamania

The 180 tire is the big tell. A friend always wanted a fat rear tire, finally bought an '08 because he really needed a new bike. He was pissed when the '09s came out with the fat tire. Same friend in the other thread with bad luck being his only luck.

PoorUB's info about the 103 is good, I would try to get a 103 rather than the 96" if possible.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fleetmechanic

We still have some '08 police bikes with sidecars in service and on the snow and ice days when they are needed they are very popular because they still have the 130 rear tires that bite the snow better than the 180s.  The '09-later models are referred to as being "floaty" on snow.  Probably not an issue for most riders.

Screamin beagle

Don't let the frame scare you off a great bike if you find one. There's a couple hundred thousand bikes running around on that "old " frame and theyre doing just fine. If you really ride hard or are two up at the weight limit then there,are fixes available in the aftermarket...lets face it pretty much all stock harley suspensions suck. The biggest plus that I see in the new frame is tire life. Seems they get alot more miles out of the tires. I'm sure you have a budget so it's possible you can't run out and buy a 25 to 30k bike and that's ok. There's alot of well cares for low mileage bikes for sale...find the best one you can within your budget...being patient is the key. Good luck in the search

Admiral Akbar

I agree with Screaming.. IMO the early RKs handle a bunch better than the newer ones. They feel lighter and and turn quicker. I've owned a 02 RKC and a 17 RK.  The 02 handles way better.. My experience on batwings is the opposite.  The early frame become a bit twitchy with all the weight mounted on the forks and full saddlebags.  The extra trail in the newer frame helps.  On the older framed batwings you need to keep everything tight, even add a stabilizer.

Deye76

My 14 RK handles better than the 04' RG I had. The 19" front wheel/tire turn faster than the 16" which felt more sluggish to me. I also have a 15' RG and like the handling better a/c the 19" front.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

I think it's a personal evaluation of which handles better, pre 2009 or 2009 and up. I have an '08 and an '09, both are not bad handling bikes for being so heavy and suspension limited. But IMHO my '09 inspires much more confidence in corners than the '08 does. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 05, 2019, 04:47:18 PM
I think it's a personal evaluation of which handles better, pre 2009 or 2009 and up. I have an '08 and an '09, both are not bad handling bikes for being so heavy and suspension limited. But IMHO my '09 inspires much more confidence in corners than the '08 does.

Road kings. batwings, or boston whalers?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on December 05, 2019, 07:01:52 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 05, 2019, 04:47:18 PM

Road kings. batwings, or boston whalers?

:teeth:  Both batwings.

The '08 is a Street Glide, the '09 is an Ultra with removable tour pack. Although the Ultra feels a bit more top heavy, it just feels more firmly planted I guess is the best description. I agree with what you said about the older frame feels lighter and maybe more nimble. I've tightened up any wiggle from the swing arm. It's not a poor handling bike, the '09 just feels planted better to me.

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Princess Butt

The frame changed significantly in 2009, with a heavier swing arm and 180 rear tire. They also picked up some weight, about 70 pounds if I remember.

The big difference in handling is when you ride two up. Solo riding the difference is not as noticeable.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

PoorUB

If you ride hard in corners you can tell a big difference.  My 2005 Ultra leaned i to corners easier, but then it had the rear steer twitch that bugs riders. I just got used to it so it didn't  bother me. My 2010 with the wider  rear tire didn't want to lay into corners as well, but it was a solid ride, no wierd frame flex. My 2016 has bigger fork tubes and better handling yet, but stiffer suspension.  My 2005 was the smoothest ride when just cruising down the road.

Molly

Thanks for all the advice and information. Budget dictates that it might have to be ten or so years old. I'm down in New Zealand where prices seem to level off meaning you'll pay much the same for a late Evo as you would, say, an 03/04 TC.

Family, work, one thing or another has conspired to keep me bikeless in recent years so I'm looking forward to getting back on two wheels this summer.

Thanks again guys.

PC_Hater

Molly, If you get a 2008 or earlier TC there are a number of chassis upgrades you can do.
https://www.customcycleengineering.com/Product-Details/1/Dresser_Tour_Trac_Trees-1
Hold the forks properly, the same as say Triumph did in 1948 and Harley managed in 2009.
I have the kit in my garage ready to fit.

They also do a 2002 swingarm conversion kit for older TCs.

You can sneak up on the bike you want in stages.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Molly