March 28, 2024, 12:51:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'09 Touring with low power

Started by Tynker, December 02, 2019, 03:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

Friend of a friend came over for me to check out his bike, for low power. He just bought it and said max speed is about 85 mph. I checked and cleaned his dirty air filter,and replaced the plugs (35 original miles). Not much  change. Then I noticed that the rocker covers, nose cone, trans right cover and several other items were powder coated. I just wondered if maybe the original owner pulled the cams, and maybe re installed 1 tooth off. That would explain the lack of power. It starts fine,and revs up OK, but not like it should, seems week. Any ideas from you gurus ??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

kd

Model?  Sounds like symptoms of a sumping problem too.
KD

smoserx1

Do a compression test.  That should show if a cam is a tooth off.

PoorUB

Compression test, but unhook the compression releases IF it has them.

Run it down the road, and roll it into the garage, try not to idle it for long and carefully pull the plug in the bottom of the crankcase and see how much oil you get out. 4-5 ounces, no problem, it you get a lot more than that there is a oil pump issue.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

:agree:  Even more importantly, be very very careful reinstalling that drain plug.  DO NOT over tighten it.  The cases are thin and fragile at that location.
KD

Tynker

Thanks to all who answered. He is supposed to bring it back tomorrow night. I will ride it down the road and back, about 10 miles, and pull the plug. That might be the problem, as he said the engine gets very hot, which is a  trait of sumping
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Just curious...

E.F.I. or Carb ?
Modifications ?
Tom

rigidthumper

December 03, 2019, 05:18:09 AM #7 Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:28:19 AM by rigidthumper
No carbs in 2009 model year, but there were a lot of gutless 96"ers.
Is the 7th digit of the VIN a 4 (96") or an M (103)?
My 2010 96" made something like 68 torque and 58 horsepower fresh from the factory. Wouldn't pull a sick demon off of a church pew.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

Yeah, I  traded in my 2005 with a warmed up 95" on a 2010 with a 96". It didn't take long to slide down that slippery slope and rip it a part.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

1workinman

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 03, 2019, 05:18:09 AM
My 2010 96" made something like 68 torque and 58 horsepower fresh from the factory. Wouldn't pull a sick demon off of a church pew.
Yea I had one it never gave any problem but my TDI Jetta was faster , all my good friends use to just blow by me . I don't miss it . I finally found a way to stop that crap and now they don't even try damn lol

Tynker

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on December 03, 2019, 04:51:25 AM
Just curious...

E.F.I. or Carb ?
Modifications ?
Bike is FI, and seems stock as far as I could see. He is ordering F/R brake pads,as it needs them. He is also ordering cam cover, rocker cover gaskets. He wants me to pull the lower plug when he gets the parts, and rides it here. Has there been any problem with the piston cooling jets, on the twinkie motors, or just on the M8's.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Tynker

My old 2010 Heritage with a 96" cid, it wouldn't pull a sick whore off the toilet. I installed Andrew 48's and SE adjustable's and a tune at Harley. I still was not satisfied. I traded it in for a 1014 103 HO Road King.  I was then very happy.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

1workinman

Quote from: Tynker on December 03, 2019, 04:58:15 PM

My old 2010 Heritage with a 96" cid, it wouldn't pull a sick whore off the toilet. I installed Andrew 48's and SE adjustable's and a tune at Harley. I still was not satisfied. I traded it in for a 1014 103 HO Road King.  I was then very happy.
lol that sums it up . I did the same thing Traded it for a used Street Glide that was checked out at the Harley dealer and ready to go well out the f in door the POS motor started to knock rod in less than 1000 miles .  It did run better well a little while . I can say that the 96 inch was pretty reliably turd lol .

harpwrench

Ohio HD

No CAT on an '09, unless it's a California bike.

Hossamania

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 04, 2019, 02:17:10 AM
No CAT on an '09, unless it's a California bike.

I thought the cats were in the mufflers on '09s. Is this true of only the California models?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

rigidthumper

From what I remember, Cali bikes got the cat head pipe touring models, and cats in the mufflers on other models.
2010 saw cats in everything nationwide.

Admiral Akbar

Hossamania

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on December 04, 2019, 08:58:39 AM
Tell him to try 5th gear.

That could very well be the issue. I'm a fan of 4th myself when accelerating at hiway speeds.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

PBSTN

2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

Tynker

I did, and it is still a dog. I think it is sumping,as it gets real hot,and low on power. I will know more when he brings it back to me.

Still no answer about loose piston jets on the Twin Cams??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

rigidthumper

Never saw loose piston jets on TC engines- they used orings instead of gaskets.

FXDBI

Quote from: Tynker on December 04, 2019, 11:07:32 AM
I did, and it is still a dog. I think it is sumping,as it gets real hot,and low on power. I will know more when he brings it back to me.

Still no answer about loose piston jets on the Twin Cams??

Don't take much dirt to stick them open either.  Bob

Tynker

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 04, 2019, 11:20:11 AM
Never saw loose piston jets on TC engines- they used orings instead of gaskets.

Thanks. I have never heard of them getting loose either, but I thought I would ask.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

rigidthumper

Are you anywhere near a dyno? Shops will usually do a couple of runs, as a baseline, for a nominal fee.
Once measured, next steps can be planned out.

Tynker

Dyno is 35 miles away. I will see if he wants to do it when he gets the parts, and returns the bike here.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere