March 28, 2024, 03:07:29 PM

News:

103 Engine from pieces?

Started by fleetmechanic, November 28, 2019, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

Looking at a 2014 FLHTP that is all there chassis wise but the auction notes "Engine Problem".  The crankcase and flywheel and rods are still in place and connected to the primary but the rest of the top end, gearcase, oil pump etc. are gone.  I've looked at complete motors on ebay but it would be nice to keep the original crankcase numbers intact.  Any estimates on the cost of rounding up pistons, jugs, heads, throttle body, cams, oil pump, lifters etc. in the good used parts world?

rigidthumper

There's a lot of guys who have done big bore &/or stroker kits, I would imagine most anything you need can be found reasonable.
Stock parts can be had for shipping, & beer money, if you're patient.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jjdalynh

yup, seriously at a swap meet this summer a guy offered jugs/pistons/complete heads from a 103 for $100 so he wouldn't have to take them home.....

Scotty

Quote from: fleetmechanic on November 28, 2019, 08:42:04 AM
Looking at a 2014 FLHTP that is all there chassis wise but the auction notes "Engine Problem".  The crankcase and flywheel and rods are still in place and connected to the primary but the rest of the top end, gearcase, oil pump etc. are gone.  I've looked at complete motors on ebay but it would be nice to keep the original crankcase numbers intact.  Any estimates on the cost of rounding up pistons, jugs, heads, throttle body, cams, oil pump, lifters etc. in the good used parts world?

Maybe the crank has a problem so you might need more parts than you think.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

PoorUB

Check the local dealer, they often keep take off parts. Our local dealer has a garage sale every year. Last year I stopped and looked at some stock cylinders and pistons, take offs, probably less than 10 miles on them. They had stacks of them. They were practically begging me to buy them. I walked away at $50. I really didn't want or need any.

I sold a pair of good heads a while back for $200.

Ask in the swap meet, be patient, you will find parts free or cheap.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fleetmechanic

Quote from: Scotty on November 29, 2019, 03:45:57 PM
Quote from: fleetmechanic on November 28, 2019, 08:42:04 AM

Maybe the crank has a problem so you might need more parts than you think.
I asked the selling agency about why it was originally torn down and they said lower end knock and that it was probably full of water now.  So much for reusing the lower end.

kd

.... and it was likely just a compensator knock   :missed:
KD

fleetmechanic

December 03, 2019, 09:30:50 AM #8 Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:47:25 AM by fleetmechanic
It's at the CHP used vehicle sales yard in Sacramento.  Sealed bid auction that closes tomorrow 12/4.  Minimum bid is 2,000.00.  76K miles. CHP guy also said there's a box of engine parts that go with it.

Hybredhog

For $2k your not going to get hurt, but odds are the top bid is a lot more than that. In this day & age of a glutted market (at least out here in the sticks), you'll be able to find great bikes for $5k, and a bunch of them already have proper updates. This is the time of year to buy, but don't get in a hurry.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

prodrag1320

good time to just go 124" with it

fleetmechanic

Auction ended at 2:00pm Pacific time today. If any of you guys bought it please report back with updates.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

fleetmechanic

CHP doesn't disclose that to the public as far as I can find.