April 19, 2024, 11:54:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch plates

Started by moose, December 11, 2019, 12:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

What are the best clutch plates for a 2011 Ultra Limited   not racing it but will peg the limiter or at least close to it

tia
Moose aka Glenn-

IronButt70

Quote from: moose on December 11, 2019, 12:15:25 PM
What are the best clutch plates for a 2011 Ultra Limited   not racing it but will peg the limiter or at least close to it

tia
Just recently replaced mine with Barnett Performance disks. Noticeable difference in shifting. Contact California Phil. He's a site vendor here and great to deal with.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

mike jesse

Another option is the Energy One plate kit.

I've done several with this kit and have had zero complaints.

98fxstc

Quote from: mike jesse on December 11, 2019, 12:49:56 PM

:up:
only done one but very happy

D-1

Any problems with them sticking when cold? What oil do you use? Ive had a couple which lurch forward and drag when putting in first, one can even stall the bike. Tried 20W50, 10W40 as recommended and ATF. The thinner oils do help. Never used F+.

98fxstc

Quote from: D-1 on December 11, 2019, 03:26:39 PM

Any problems with them sticking when cold? What oil do you use? Ive had a couple which lurch forward and drag when putting in first, one can even stall the bike. Tried 20W50, 10W40 as recommended and ATF. The thinner oils do help. Never used F+.

stick with B&M Trickshift as recommended
I tried Formula Plus and had the problems you refer to
Cleaned the plates, refilled with B&M and no more problems

92flhtcu

I've been running Energy One extra plate kits on my 4 bikes for years, all of them get B&M Trickshift in the primary, never a single issue of the "lurch" or anything else. Now my bikes are all pre-'07, so I do not have to worry about the crap compensator issues. On those bikes, it seems  there are several different opinions on primary fluid, and I've got some friends running Energy One kits and using BelRay Sport Lube in their primaries to help the Compensator, they are not having issues
Need a bigger garage

IronButt70

I've used nothing but Redline primary fluid in mine since day one. Never had the lurch or any comp issues.   :bike:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

calif phil

I use the Barnett Carbon Fiber  302-30-20013

jsachs1

I've probably done a hundred plus builds with Alto Carbonite extra plate kits, and their heavy duty spring. Extremely reliable, no slip issues. I use synthetic atf with the install.
John

JerseyT

Alto Carbonite plates with ATF in my '09 CVO here.  Works perfectly in all conditions.  Lifetime guarantee to boot.

https://www.altousa.com/page/motorcycle

rhuff

Another vote for Alto Carbonite.  Held 120 plus HP/TQ with a 380# spring with no issues. 

mike jesse

December 13, 2019, 10:32:29 AM #12 Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:29:59 PM by mike jesse
The drag issue may not be the oil that's used but rather the plates themselves dragging on the clutch basket.

Install one plate at a time and check it for dragging. If you find one, just file the offending plate tab to provide just enough clearance so

the plate slides freely.

I've been using Golden Spectro 80 WT. Gear Lube. With the bike upright, I've been filling the primary with 18 oz. of lube.

This is not the gospel, but works for me.

capn

Im with CF. Carbon fiber plates. Smooth shifting no slip with the right spring.