March 28, 2024, 03:00:01 PM

News:

30 tooth evo ind motor sprocket

Started by brent, December 15, 2019, 07:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brent

Says on 14 limited 70mph equals 3250 rpm in sixth gear seems really low put one on my 2007 and it was ok but they were geared higher anyone tried it on a 2010 or later

boooby1744

You might be better served going with their 49 tooth clutch basket.

brent

the clutch basket costs more like 900 dollars  vs 300 dollars

kd

December 16, 2019, 07:06:33 PM #3 Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:47:38 PM by kd
Quote from: boooby1744 on December 15, 2019, 08:54:33 PM
You might be better served going with their 49 tooth clutch basket.

Quote from: brent on December 16, 2019, 02:37:06 PM
the clutch basket costs more like 900 dollars  vs 300 dollars

The sprocket change means you lose the compensator cushion. The primary chain is now too long and the angles are more severe. Will it make noise?  Will the adjuster be able to reach far enough to even work?  Will you have to $pend more on a different adjuster?  Will it be durable?  Can you access a proper length chain? What will a chain co$t? There are ton$ of variables that can bite you. 

If you want the gear ratio change you can do it right but that will as you say, cost $$$.  The 49 tooth basket comes with a chain and does it right.  The late model stock adjuster works fine in 145 / 150 square engines.  The basket is more than twice the strength and quality of the one you want to keep.  The stock basket is a known weak link. Will you break that one?  More $$$.

You have other options to lower your ratio like rear drive sprocket changes by pulley or by going to a chain drive.  With a chain drive you have even more options with sprocket sizes and easy changes.  Yes you will have to deal with the speedo change and cruise setting.  One thing I have learned in 45 or more years of building fast bikes (and cars) is there is no free lunch.  Do it right or you end up re-doing it and wishing you would have not tried to save a few dollars.  Live with it or save it up and do it right is what I do now.  I learned the hard way long ago.

FWIW, I have the Evo Industries 49 tooth basket and chain behind 148 HP / 144.5 TQ and I BEAT it every day I ride it.  It's quiet and works flawlessly.  I have inspected it after a season of torture and it was pristine in all components. 
KD

brent

guess I wil have to consider the clutch basket didn't know they were weak had the motor sprocket without compensator on my 2007 it came with a chain and it was geared really high from factory so it worked out the 2011 isn't geared so high and maybe my compensator will last on the 2011

kd

Brent, the power numbers I gave are for my 120 in a 2011 RGU.  My ratio mod (before I found out I couldn't keep a belt in it the way I abuse it) was a 31 trans sprocket with the 49 tooth basket for 3.16 and it was way better all around.  I did a chain conversion and with a 24 trans sprocket and 57 rear wheel it is IIRC 3.18 (maybe 3.15  :scratch: ).  I also have a 55 and 53 rear sprocket for quick change touring if I want but I am not sure I will ever do it.  At that ratio, the engine is in it's happy place (3,000 to 3,400) highway with OEM 6 spd and the mileage improved lots.  I now have a GrudgeBox so 6th gear ratio is slightly different. You never gave much info on your power or riding style but if you have a strong build and like to use it, the risk of a basket failure is there. The Evo Industries full kit is a decent deal and you can order it with a jobber bearing so you are not a slave to the MOCO special bearing price and availability. 

BTW, the 14+ comp is much better at self lubing and wear if you have to change the 2011 out at some point.  It is adjustable with shims and there's a sticky in the twin cam section with instructions if you are interested in knowing.
KD

brent

stock hp like first gear to be lower like to to ride on highway at 3200 to 3500 rpms  at 70 mph in fifth gear   on 2007 I never used 6 th gear unless I was going  80 mph because it would lug at lower speeds 

kd

Quote from: brent on December 17, 2019, 08:27:17 AM
stock hp like first gear to be lower like to to ride on highway at 3200 to 3500 rpms  at 70 mph in fifth gear   on 2007 I never used 6 th gear unless I was going  80 mph because it would lug at lower speeds 

The ratio I use and gave you will put you at that RPM but will usually require primary and secondary gear changes to get there. 

If your OEM basket is in good shape with no worn plate contact points you should be OK if you ride easy and aren't planning any shall we say upgrades.  If not, consider the basket upgrade change.  IIRC you can buy the Evo 49 tooth sprocket and chain separately to install onto your basket and that'll save you dollars.  If the basket fails then look at alternative replacements.  If you are still riding easy, you may find a cherry OEM takeoff for a replacement.  The nice thing about ratio changes in the primary is they don't change the OEM ECM speedo and cruise pick-up calculations like rear sprocket changes do.  Not having to adjust that is another $ saving.
KD

pwmorris

PoorUB

Quote from: kd on December 17, 2019, 08:41:45 AMThe nice thing about ratio changes in the primary is they don't change the OEM ECM speedo and cruise pick-up calculations like rear sprocket changes do.  Not having to adjust that is another $ saving.

A primary ratio change will screw up the cruise control on later model Harleys.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!