April 24, 2024, 05:56:06 AM

News:

Stock Clutch Prevents Crank Scissoring?

Started by Don D, December 06, 2019, 09:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

OK a customer of mine tried to explain how the M8 motorcycles has a design change so that if the bike is downshifted improperly, IE dropping two gears and letting the clutch out, the clutch decouples.
Does anybody know about this? I haven't seen any documentation on this.

Ohio HD

Slipper clutch. A lot of other motorcycle brands have them too. It's to reduce wheel hop and over revving when downshifting. It's not designed to protect the cranks from scissoring, although as a side effect it may help.

rigidthumper

Here is a good look at the Slip & assist clutch- the spring seats are cut at a slight angle, so it unloads the clutch slightly on decel, and increases load slightly under acceleration.
Started on the CVO models a few years ago. Maybe trikes too.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Once downshifted and the clutch is slipping, if the throttle is blipped, the clutch will engage, now allowing the motor to rev, or over rev, correct? Or am I incorrect in that thinking?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Don D

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 06, 2019, 09:38:23 AM
Interesting, thanks!
Got one on the v rod Don , stock since 08 and can hold 160 hp. Works well and you can't chirp the rear tire on downshifts but it will still decel, what appears to be normal. I suppose in some warped way of thinking it could eliminate one cause of crank shifting. Should have put them on in 07 and saved a bunch of warranty claims. :hyst:
Ron

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tail Ridr

:agree:  Back when I had my '88 Venture, compared to one of my riding buddies 'Wing, by function, it seems to compare the same. It seemed the 'Wing had more of an "over-run" compared to my Venture which went right to braking with any relax in the throttle. The 'Wing would routinely get 4-6000 more miles per tire change.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!