March 28, 2024, 06:12:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

120" & 662-3 cams

Started by rking1550, December 07, 2019, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rking1550

Present build is 120" @ 11.3 compression & 662-2 cams. Making 135 hp/tq. 

I've got a set of 662-3 cams sitting  on the shelf. Looking for opinions/ experience with the 662-3s. I want to up the compression to a little over 12, maybe 12.25 and run the -3s. 12.25 should give me about 210 psi. 
Bikes a 01 roadking w/carb .

124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

kd

You might find a few in the dyno section but they'll be a back a bit.  A search should get them up.  IMO you will still want to be prepared for a soft bottom.  Maybe not so much in a Dyna but the RK is still a heavy bike.  Gearing may be the way to manage it.

Are you changing up for a reason, or just because you have them?
KD

rking1550

Quote from: kd on December 07, 2019, 04:03:42 PM
You might find a few in the dyno section but they'll be a back a bit.  A search should get them up.  IMO you will still want to be prepared for a soft bottom.  Maybe not so much in a Dyna but the RK is still a heavy bike.  Gearing may be the way to manage it.

Did search,  not much there for the -3s. The bump in compression is to help the bottom end, and yes because I have them, I'd  like to try and get close to 150hp. Dont know if it'll happen , but it would be nice.   I did run the S&S 640 @ the 11.3. And it  was soft down low. Hoping the compression will take care of that. And I am running the 3:37-1 primary gearing.

FLDavetrain

I’ve seen a run with those 3s tuned by tman in a 124 touring set at 12:1 and not soft down low. Held 135-145 tq most the way and hit 150+ hp.
currently 510ci on tap

1workinman

Quote from: rking1550 on December 07, 2019, 04:18:19 PM
Quote from: kd on December 07, 2019, 04:03:42 PM

Did search,  not much there for the -3s. The bump in compression is to help the bottom end, and yes because I have them, I'd  like to try and get close to 150hp. Dont know if it'll happen , but it would be nice.   I did run the S&S 640 @ the 11.3. And it  was soft down low. Hoping the compression will take care of that. And I am running the 3:37-1 primary gearing.
I had a set of the 662-2 in a 124 with T Man heads set at 200 ccp and it made 146 or so square I think . I had the motor pulled down to fix some problems and I went with Mega Flow heads 640 cams set at 11.2 the horse power I think is 145 or 144 square . If it was set at 200 well it would probably do better . I changed the gearing in the primary and it seemed to help it a bit .  My 145 is at 12.2 with the 640 and its not soft lol but its fuel injected and tuned .   What I think is a set of heads makes the difference and might allow you to run less compression and still make power

kd

Dave, give Dan a call and tell him what you have and see if he can get you there (or close) with his heads.  You may not need a cam change.  The 662-2 is damn close to my 660SM all around.  You've seen the results.  You may need a muffler change but that's not a bid deal.   It'll probably get louder though.   :hyst:
KD

Don D

You may be in a case where everything is saying go go go but the carb doesn't have the airflow to support more. A wide open run on the dyno with a vacuum gauge attached would verify this if the gauge had the resolution and dampening so it doesn't get destroyed by the pulsation. So no cam will help if that is true.

kd

Don, I had a PM conversation with rking1550 about my 120 build.  The stuff you and I discussed about my valve size and porting (if you can remember a couple years back lol) that you spoke to Dan Baisley about.  It basically boils down to what you are saying now and Dan expected it. He dealt with it through the head work in the exhaust ports, valve profiles and sizes.  Maybe there's someone close to him that can check that for him. 
KD

rageglide

What carb?  Sounds like carb is too small

kd

... or breather .... or manifold / head port size ... or a combination of all 3.    It may be less expensive to confirm this first.   It may be a reasonable fix.
KD

rageglide

rking1550

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 07, 2019, 06:07:40 PM
You may be in a case where everything is saying go go go but the carb doesn't have the airflow to support more. A wide open run on the dyno with a vacuum gauge attached would verify this if the gauge had the resolution and dampening so it doesn't get destroyed by the pulsation. So no cam will help if that is true.

The carb is  Bob Wood's king 505 cv51. For what those things cost I hope it can support 150 hp. Guess I'll find out. Lol

rageglide

haha no doubt, for the cost it should deliver 200hp. I believe a 120" 150hp is going to require a really good head.  Just adding compression if the head is not ideal will result in a bunch of unwanted heat.

Ohio HD

Bill, maybe turboprop will see this and chime in. I know he's made a little over 150 hp with a carb. I don't know what he's running now HP wise. He had a 'G' on when he pulled just over 150hp.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,98807.0.html

rking1550

[quote author=rageglide
haha no doubt, for the cost it should deliver 200hp. I believe a 120" 150hp is going to require a really good head.  Just adding compression if the head is not ideal will result in a bunch of unwanted heat.
[/quote]

I'm using T-man thumper series  heads. they'll be going back to him to be freshened up and maybe some improvements.

rageglide

Sounds like a call to TR is order.

rking1550

Quote from: rageglide on December 07, 2019, 08:45:24 PM

That's definitely on the top of the list
Sounds like a call to TR is order.

kd

KD

1workinman

Quote from: rking1550 on December 07, 2019, 07:23:18 PM
[quote author=rageglide

I'm using T-man thumper series  heads. they'll be going back to him to be freshened up and maybe some improvements.
[/quote] That was the heads I had on there with the 662-2 at 200

Hillside Motorcycle

S&S .675 cam WILL produce 150+ hp in a 124".
10.81/126 was witnessed, drove to the track, drove it home.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

I would be looking into motor health first. Something is not right considering the sum of the parts. It is not a cam change away from a fix. Something else has it corked up.

rking1550

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 09, 2019, 05:14:11 AM
I would be looking into motor health first. Something is not right considering the sum of the parts. It is not a cam change away from a fix. Something else has it corked up.

I believe the motor  to be healthy.
11.3 compression,  t man thumper heads, 662-2  cam. S&S 2 into 1 sidewinder exhaust , cv 51 carb. 135 hp/tq, same motor with only a cam change to s&s 640 delivered 142 hp.
If I had to guess on a bottle neck I would say it's the SE intake, its the larger one ,but not sure on the size. 

Don D

That certainly is a bottleneck.  Tman can supply you with an S&S intake with the large spigot. It is an upgrade for sure. When using the 640 you can raise the CR up to 12:1.

rking1550

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 09, 2019, 02:14:14 PM
That certainly is a bottleneck.  Tman can supply you with an S&S intake with the large spigot. It is an upgrade for sure. When using the 640 you can raise the CR up to 12:1.

I'm pretty sure T-man does not do the s&s intake conversion to the cv carb anymore. But I do have  s&s G manifold machined for the cv carb sitting on the shelf next to the 662-3 cams. guess I'll use both. I no longer have the 640s but i do have the 662-3 I believe is similar.

pwmorris

Had a race buddy test the Wood "King" carb, and it ain't no King vs. the "real" King...for well over 50 years now-
He pulled it off the bike and never looked back.
Heads (Huge part of recipe), manifold and carb are all one unit.....build and plan as such for 150 plus.
I made 177/153 at 12:5 on my old 124", but it had big dollar Baisley heads.
Happy to post sheet if needed.