Weird Noise From Rear of 2018 Heritage Softail.....

Started by sandrooney, December 12, 2019, 04:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

I have a 2018 Heritage and it makes this weird noise when slowing down to around 20 MPH or less. It's like a WOO-WOO sound (almost like a harmonica) and only does it after it warms up. It's been doing it for a while and doesn't do it all the time. It's under warranty but of course it didn't make the noise when I took it to the dealer. I checked the bearings when I changed the rear tire and they were fine. Pushing the brake doesn't change the sound so I don't believe it is the brake. I did a google search and found where some were having this issue and it was the belt either to tight or out of alignment. I went to extremes to align the rear wheel and make sure the belt adjustment is correct and the noise is still there. I put some wax on the outer edge of the belt and the noise went away but only for a hundred miles or so. The belt rides to outside edge of the pulley but that has been with all my bikes so I think that's normal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

klammer76

I get a belt noise similar to what you describe on my 2002 FLH if the belt is to loose.

sandrooney

Thanks. Like I said I went to extremes to make sure the belt was adjusted correctly. Thanks again.

vafatboy1

Given the noise went away when you waxed the belt edge I would dig into that further.  My 02 Fatboy started making a different noise than you describe, but it did turn out to be wheel alignment and belt rubbing against belt residue on the outside pulley edge. 

In my case the bike would not track straight with hands off bars.  Did it from the day 1 off the lot.  I took it back and they messed with it for hours.  I got it back and it still wasn't right.  I got a manual and aligned it myself with no change. 

5k miles or so later I get this squealing from the rear.  I jacked the bike up and spun the rear wheel trying to recreate the noise.  I couldn't, but did notice the belt tracking hard against the outside of the pulley when what would be rolling forward.  I checked center of swing arm to center of axle and it was still where I adjusted it to.  I then adjusted the wheel until the belt just started to track straight to the pulley.  I cleaned the edge of the pulley and belt with denatured alcohol.  I never had anymore noise and the bike tracked like it was on a rail. 

The difference from center of swing arm to center of axle was about 3/32" from one side to the other. 

Tynker

Quote from: sandrooney on December 12, 2019, 04:46:10 AM
I have a 2018 Heritage and it makes this weird noise when slowing down to around 20 MPH or less. It's like a WOO-WOO sound (almost like a harmonica) and only does it after it warms up. It's been doing it for a while and doesn't do it all the time. It's under warranty but of course it didn't make the noise when I took it to the dealer. I checked the bearings when I changed the rear tire and they were fine. Pushing the brake doesn't change the sound so I don't believe it is the brake. I did a google search and found where some were having this issue and it was the belt either to tight or out of alignment. I went to extremes to align the rear wheel and make sure the belt adjustment is correct and the noise is still there. I put some wax on the outer edge of the belt and the noise went away but only for a hundred miles or so. The belt rides to outside edge of the pulley but that has been with all my bikes so I think that's normal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SR

Check and make sure the belt is not rubbing on the belt guard. My old Heritage did that when it was new, and dealer could not find the noise.  I noticed it was rubbing on the guard when I replaced the rear tire. I trimmed the guard a little, and no more noise for the next 50,000 miles.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

sandrooney

I am going to try adjusting the belt so it somewhat tracks away from the outside edge of the pulley regardless of the measurement (within reason) from pivot to axle. Thanks vafatboy1

Thanks Tynker I will check that out.