March 28, 2024, 02:03:32 AM

News:

Stuff happens

Started by newbie17, December 18, 2019, 07:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbie17

:kick:  Had an "incident" the other day with my 2004 XL1200R. Pulled out of my driveway on my way to work, went about 1/8 mile and the engine died.  :wtf: I checked fuel petcock:ok, full tank:yes, lights: yes. Tried for re-start: :SM: Went back to driveway to perform a closer inspection. I had done an oil/filter change and front tire change the day before. I had it up on my lift and thought maybe I had pinched a wire bundle causing an "open" or "short" for the ignition. Visually checked wire bundles, jiggled wiring with engine running to try to cause problem-all good. Well, I decided to go for it and left for work again. No problems during the 15 mile ride. I had to run an errand at lunch-about 1/2 mile from my job. Made it there ok. Fired engine up for return trip to work. Pulled up to hiway-waiting on traffic-engine died-again :wtf: It took 3 tries to get it started. It would start and die. On fourth try it stayed running. Made it back to work. Checked machine over again.:banghead:I was about to scream obscenities when I realized I had not checked the "kill" switch on the R/H switch housing. I pushed the rocker switch to the "Run" position and it moved a little. I concluded that during maintenance I hit/bumped the switch to a position of almost off/almost on. The vibrations made the contacts in the switch move from on-to-off-to-on. I cycled the switch numerous times for exercise-I never use it anyway. Well, now part of my pre-ride checks is checking the switch for full "on". I have not had the problem re-occur in 1,500 miles.
Anywho-I just wanted to post something here because there are so few EVO SPORTSTER posts compared to the other categories. Thanks for reading!!!!

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

A lot of "no-start" issues solved with that switch!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

FSG

Panzer

Good for you Newbie17 for relaying the fix.  Well done  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.