April 18, 2024, 10:39:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How to Tow a Road Glide

Started by Sinker, December 18, 2019, 01:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinker

I am probably buying a Road Glide soon and will want to tow it home. My question is where do you attach the straps to on the front since the handlebars are behind the fairing? Do you tie it to the crash bars?
Thanks/Scott

SixShooter14

Disclaimer: I don't own a RG

But I have never strapped to the handlebars. On my Softail and RK, I strap to the lower fork just above the front fender mount.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Coyote

Strap to the crash bar or around frame cross member.

fbn ent

I go over the crash bar, around the frame and back below the crash bar on both sides. I use the straps with the loop tail to make it easier.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

chaos901

I have done the intersection of the frame and engine guard (as mentioned above), but recently I was picking up a friends bike that was a dealer a few hundred miles away and they suggested on the fork just above the calipers.  That worked good too. 

Either the soft ties or the ones with the loops too.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

coolbreeze3646

Quote from: SixShooter14 on December 18, 2019, 01:36:29 PM

But I have never strapped to the handlebars. On my Softail and RK, I strap to the lower fork just above the front fender mount.

Tow or Trailer it home???  I would never tow an motorcycle as bad things can happen. Rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer for about $25.00 per day and trailer it home.  You can then look on Youtube and see how to tie it down on the trailer.  Or find someone that will help you get it home safely.
What do I know; I ride a Trike
2019 FLHTCUTG, 2003 XLH1200S, 2016 FJ-09, 2019 DL650XT

SixShooter14

Quote from: coolbreeze3646 on December 18, 2019, 02:40:47 PM

Tow or Trailer it home???  I would never tow an motorcycle as bad things can happen. Rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer for about $25.00 per day and trailer it home.  You can then look on Youtube and see how to tie it down on the trailer.  Or find someone that will help you get it home safely.
Yep, always on a trailer.  :up:

Hossamania

I was assuming he meant a trailer. I was hoping he meant a trailer. I've seen bikes towed with a rope, one went well, but it was exciting, to say the least. The other did not go so well.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

With my Road Glide (Ultra and Road King) I use the top intersection of the engine guard and the top of the front frame down tube as others have said.  I considered the fork tube lower legs above the front fender mounting brackets. For 2 reasons I haven't done it. The suspension is still active and the lower leg attaching point is too low for soft ties and a tie down strap to work with enough hold "down" pressure to be IMO stable.  The engine guard at the frame position allows soft ties and a decent tie down strap in an outward and  forward angle to prevent roll back and side to side. I also strap from the front of the rear crash bar at a rearward and outward angle to resist forward movement (and side way) when braking on the road.  I also block the from under the transmission and pull the suspension down so it is not active therefore preventing the straps from going from loose to tight on bumps.   I think blocking is important even though lots of people don't do it. 
KD

Sinker

Sinker

Some pics would be helpful here.

Coyote

Quote from: Sinker on December 18, 2019, 05:32:32 PM

How I transport mine.

[attach=0,msg1327094]

1workinman

I have a new haul mark 16 foot v nose trailer that I use to two a 12 street glide and a 13 road glide . I secure both with nylon chocker and shackle never a j hook ever . To d rings in the floor . I go around the frame on both bikes . How ever I have 6 inch fiber glass channel that is bolted to the floor to drive them into the full length of bike. at the front of the bike is a channel iron frame that the front tire is secured with a nylon chocker and is pulled tight with a hand wench about 18 inch front of bike . I had some bad experiences with towing and  I almost damaged my bike pure luck I did not so  I have this system that seems to work for me now . I don't have to put up with bad storms and hotter than hell weather now . Just tow there and ride .  Plus all my gear and cold beer lol

1workinman

Even If I and I don't this it can loose a nylon chocker that is secured with ratchet strap and shackles , The front tire is tight against the channel iron frame that is bolted to frame . . I took a couple of days installing the frames that I built mounting the hand wenches and placing the d rings exactly where I wanted them but I can tow my scooters and not worry and about them but I check every time I fill up my diesel truck . 

Hossamania

Quote from: Coyote on December 18, 2019, 05:40:29 PM

How I transport mine.

[attach=0,msg1327094]

Sure, in an ideal world!

[attach=0]

Boe Cole

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Lone Ranger

SRK Cycles swear by these and use them on every bike they haul.
https://thetankstrap.com/

Coyote

Quote from: Hossamania on December 18, 2019, 06:18:18 PM
Quote from: Coyote on December 18, 2019, 05:40:29 PM

How I transport mine.

[attach=0,msg1327094]

Sure, in an ideal world!

[attach=0,msg1327101]

Well I did move my '12 RG this way this year.  But I was only going 950 miles.  :embarrassed:

[attach=0,msg1327190]

Boe Cole

When I've had to trailer due to the wife going with me, I've always used the crash bars in the front and back to hold the bike down and used the same bars to keep it from going forward or backward on the trailer.  Also have one of those cheap front wheel locks from harbor freight but really only trust it to help hold the bike while I'm strapping it down.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

roadkingdresser

I've been hauling 2 road kings in an enclosed trailer for yrs. always use the handlebars with straps. 2 sets of straps on the bars a block under the frame just under the tranny. A set of tied owns on the saddlebag rails. hauled them many times and never check them more than 1 time. have never had any issues. with A block under the frame i can't shake them loose. Sturgis 15 times-Daytona countless times and Myrtle Beach.
roadkingdresser

SixShooter14

Quote from: roadkingdresser on December 19, 2019, 12:15:07 PM
I've been hauling 2 road kings in an enclosed trailer for yrs. always use the handlebars with straps. 2 sets of straps on the bars a block under the frame just under the tranny. A set of tied owns on the saddlebag rails. hauled them many times and never check them more than 1 time. have never had any issues. with A block under the frame i can't shake them loose. Sturgis 15 times-Daytona countless times and Myrtle Beach.
Yeah, if you're strapping from somewhere above the suspension, a block really helps prevent it the strap from loosening due to bumps.

PoorUB

A good wheel chock is a good investment
I had my Ultra strapped down in a enclosed  trailer. We went a few miles and checked the bikes again. We had hit a couple rough spots in the road and all four straps  were loose on my Ultra, but it was standing up right. Never touched the trailer wall or the motorcycle.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

calgary56

Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

1workinman

Quote from: PoorUB on December 19, 2019, 12:41:17 PM
A good wheel chock is a good investment
I had my Ultra strapped down in a enclosed  trailer. We went a few miles and checked the bikes again. We had hit a couple rough spots in the road and all four straps  were loose on my Ultra, but it was standing up right. Never touched the trailer wall or the motorcycle.
yep thats what happened to me once but the front tire was pulled up tight to the front of trailer with a hand wench and nylo. Strap.

alanm2002

I bought the tie down brackets from Paul Yaffe very good quality & very easy when it's time to trailer very safe & fast.

Helmwurst

1st, the ice drifting video was CRAZY !! I had no idea, that guy can ride !!.
2nd, God wheel chalk, tie down front with padded straps above fender brackets and the rear off the pass pegs or saddle bag brackets so the rear does not slide around. Especially if you have another bike next to it.

Winston Wolf

When the bikes come on the shipping pallets, they are tied down with a short strap on the front forks, with the strap just above the fender bolts so the strap can't slip down.  When you do it this way, the straps don't get loose from the suspension moving over bumps.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Winston Wolf on December 26, 2019, 05:40:56 AM
When the bikes come on the shipping pallets, they are tied down with a short strap on the front forks, with the strap just above the fender bolts so the strap can't slip down. 
I agree that is the best way to tie down the bike, the rest of the straps I use are just in case.

I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/PowerTye-Ergonomic-Soft-Tye-Tie-Downs-Heavy-Duty/dp/B01F9DG650/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=powertye&qid=1577833726&sr=8-4

They have a built in soft hook, but can also be used like a regular ratchet strap using the s hooks.

The s hooks have the safety latch on them so they can`t fall off even if the strap were to momentarily go slack (regular non safety s hooks suck).
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

fbn ent

I've never had one come of the s-hook but a moused hook is a nice feature.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

1workinman

Quote from: fbn ent on December 31, 2019, 03:32:11 PM
Every one has to do what they think is best , I never use a j hook or any thing that is not a 100 percent secured . I cut the j hooks off my ratchet straps and used a shackle in it place . J hooks are easier but once was enough for me coming loose . May be I did not have it tight enough but now it want matter

bensfatboy

+1

bensfatboy

+1

Helmwurst

A word of caution, use a wheel chock or 2x's nailed to the wooden floor to keep the forks from turning if strapped upright and not with the handlebars turned to lock position. I had a bike fall over against the wall and door in a trailer when the trailer bounced on a large bump and the front wheel turned allowing the straps to loosen.

Hossamania

I have made temporary wheel chocks with 2x4s in my trailer when hauling the bike. They could be permanent were the trailer to be used for that purpose all the time.

Phu Cat

When strapping a bike down always, ALWAYS put the straps on the bike as high as possible for the most leverage.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

SixShooter14

Quote from: 1workinman on December 31, 2019, 04:13:16 PM
Quote from: fbn ent on December 31, 2019, 03:32:11 PM
Every one has to do what they think is best , I never use a j hook or any thing that is not a 100 percent secured . I cut the j hooks off my ratchet straps and used a shackle in it place . J hooks are easier but once was enough for me coming loose . May be I did not have it tight enough but now it want matter
That is a great idea. I hate the J and S hooks on my ratchet straps. I will be doing this to mine asap

scotman623

I have been all over with mine transported like this!!! Good wheel chalk and pull everything forward..My bike does not move at all,  I Agree with usually going up high but it's hard with the RG..  Works for me..
Always look forward...

kd

The high spot on the front of the RG seems to be the frame at the upper engine guard attachment point. Blocking from under the frame also allows you to load the suspension and get a rock solid bike. 
KD

Phu Cat

Scotman, From the looks of your pic your bike isn't going anywhere.  But if I was transporting it, I'd move the tie down at the front floor board up to the handle bar for more insurance.  "The higher, the better".  If you don't believe me, try rocking your bike tied down the way it is.  Then move to tie downs up to the handle bars and try rocking it again.  Big difference, huh.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Coyote

You should never tie down to the handlebars. They aren't made to handle that stress and it's a great way to trash your riser bushings..

Beave

I tie to the crash bars on my RK with no front chock in our toy hauler.  I also double up the front straps through the bar as it  makes for a solid mount with no tendency to loosen.
With speed comes stability.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Beave on February 15, 2020, 05:22:53 AM
I tie to the crash bars on my RK with no front chock in our toy hauler. 

Hope your luck continues...But I think that sooner or later luck will run out and you will see why people use a front chock.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

PoorUB

I sure wouldn't recommend tying to the engine guard or the saddle bag guard. Nether are very strong. Plus, no chock? :dgust:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

February 15, 2020, 07:39:50 AM #46 Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:47:30 AM by Hossamania
Short trip, emergency haul, I will go without a chock, checking the bike often.
Long haul travel, I use a chock. If I don't, and something happens, I only have myself to blame. And I hate being mad at myself.
I try to never strap it down with weight on the kickstand, I don't need that snapping off or bending. As the bike bounces a bit, there is the possibility of the bike shifting to the right and adding more weight onto the stand.