April 19, 2024, 11:03:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2010 touring clutch hub

Started by Ozbob, December 20, 2019, 04:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozbob

December 20, 2019, 04:09:29 AM Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:35:27 AM by Ozbob
couple of questions, that have me in a spin today.

1. Does the clutch assembly/clutch hub squeeze up to the inner bearing race when tightened or is it "stopped" by some other way?
2. Is there meant to be a free floating washer under the clutch hub nut and on top of the thrust washer retained in the clutch hub

I should know this, but I'm having a brain fart tonight.  :slap: Parts book does not show a washer, but clutch hub OEM part mentions thrust washer, retaining ring and spring washer for Dyna's, but same part number for Tourer's #37554-06A

Any help/guidance is appeciated

Ohio HD

When the transmission output shaft splines stop, so does the clutch hub. No washer under the retaining nut.

rigidthumper

Washer is retained by circlip, no part number is available.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FSG

December 20, 2019, 06:10:23 PM #3 Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 10:15:15 AM by FSG

Ozbob

Ok, cheers all
Why would the clutch basket tighten up and foul the inner primary

kd

The hub runs very close to the inner primary surface to begin with.  I think what you are asking about usually occurs as scoring of the inner primary on the forward side of the hub and basket.  A tight primary chain from over adjustment or heavy throttle applications can pull on the clutch assembly so hard that it will actually make contact due to flex or bearing wear. 
KD

Ozbob

Yes, I have seen this, slight scuff marks from flex.
But I'm talking full contact of ring gear locking up once tightened down on inner primary

Ohio HD

Could the main shaft have walked to the right, maybe the bearing in the transmission door is shot, allowing the shaft to pull to the right?

I imagine you have some power in this bike? Under heavy torque the shaft wants to move to the right due to the helical cut gears. 

Ozbob

Found a cracked inner bearing race, caused by a loose hub nut with a free floating washer under it.
Replaced inner bearing/race/seal, tossed the washer in the bin, assembled by the book and all seems well.
Still trying to understand why the ring gear was contacting the inner primary prior to doing the above.????
This is a 107 engine with stock heads and Andrews 48 cams. No big power in this old girl, latest version comp and energy one clutch and spring.