April 19, 2024, 10:40:09 PM

News:

Opinions of Low Tension Thin Piston Rings

Started by Don D, December 20, 2019, 06:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecir50

George offers custom made pistons that aren't that much more than store bought.

Don D

Personally I wouldn't want vertical gas ports on a harley that will see many miles. Carbon happens with the typical fuel scheme most use even assuming good oil control. Guys have messed with lower tension top compression rings too. Most of the cylinders start out straight and true but it is my belief that uneven cooling and rings not conforming they grow out of shape and ring seal suffers. Gas ports can help prevent this. So does stable cylinders.  My best experience has been with sleeved cyls. and the thick liners such as 883 and 88" plus stock bore evos

Nutoy

I tried low tension rings in some street strip sbc motors and did not have very good results. the motors ran great but they would burn oil during street use like a qt in 100 miles. you could race them all day and night and not use a drop of oil. closed throttle high vac. conditions would pull oil past the rings into cylinders. switched to std. tension rings fixed the problem. I just watched a video from zippers where they were talking about this exact problem.

1workinman

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 01, 2020, 12:59:30 PM
Personally I wouldn't want vertical gas ports on a harley that will see many miles. Carbon happens with the typical fuel scheme most use even assuming good oil control. Guys have messed with lower tension top compression rings too. Most of the cylinders start out straight and true but it is my belief that uneven cooling and rings not conforming they grow out of shape and ring seal suffers. Gas ports can help prevent this. So does stable cylinders.  My best experience has been with sleeved cyls. and the thick liners such as 883 and 88" plus stock bore evos
I not a expert on these motors only what I been told or read and ring gap is pretty important . I been told that if the pressure builds up between the top and the second ring that it can de stabilize the top ring and case some of the problems mention above . Good ring seal is extremely important in making hp 

Don D

Just give ring 2 another 2 thousandths and this is a non-issue.
Low tension ring drag race engines work better with vacuum in the crankcase.

mike jesse

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 02, 2020, 08:41:21 AM

To a point yes. After about 12 In. Vac., you need to regulate it. At least this has been my experience.

jsachs1

January 02, 2020, 02:56:05 PM #31 Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:11:02 PM by jsachs1
 [attach=2,msg1328626] Back in the '60s when I was match racing my AA/GS Anglia, Venolia Pistons (sponsor) built some 2 ring pistons for the 460" supercharged BB Chev. I was running. A little apprehensive, myself and the Shores & Hess Car tried them. I must say they worked like a champ, with NO oiling problems, etc. Hard to figure.
John

1workinman

Quote from: mike jesse on January 02, 2020, 01:38:10 PM
Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 02, 2020, 08:41:21 AM

To a point yes. After about 12 In. Vac., you need to regulate it. At least this has been my experience.
I don't know come here from sickum lol on this only what I read from Reher Morrison web on there forum goes in to great detail about this and vacuum on a wet sump and dry sump . Pretty interesting read