March 28, 2024, 04:47:38 AM

News:

2007 FL Transmission Issue

Started by markymark, December 28, 2019, 01:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markymark

Can shift up to 3rd and at times. Can move shift lever up , but will not go the rest of the way up to the other gears. When it does this, the downshift to 2nd/1st produces a lot of gear grinding. Then there are times that it works normally

moose

is it possible that the shifter has slipped on the splines ?
Moose aka Glenn-

markymark

Just pulled the drain plug. large piece off metal on the plug. Not a gear tooth, but maybe a spring ??. Time to pull it out.

fleetmechanic

Check the springs on the shift pawl lever inside the case.  These are known to break.

markymark

markymark

Update: Removed transmission and found the split ring retainers for 3rd gear both missing.

rigidthumper

Did they get ground up? I'd replace every bearing inside the case, and inspect everything.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

markymark

Not ground up. Just both pieces got straightened

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Pretty common on the newer ones. Only seen a very few of the first gen models.

You may want to look at the Shift-Shaft-Pawl-Assy while you're there, close attention to the Weld Contact - seen a hundred cracked. But, again, not so much on the first gen's.
Tom

markymark

Update: Attempted to order a new countershaft. Was informed by HD that it is no longer available and that the replacement is basically a new transmission less case (about $750.00) Seems there was some issue with these shafts. At some point, the countershaft was removed and not fully pressed into the door bearing. The needle bearing next to the main drive gear got destroyed. At least they are refunding all of the other parts that I picked up to rebuild the shafts.

remington007

5th gear will be helical cut instead of straight, you will need to recalibrate your speedo.

markymark

Both are 6 speeds. Cal still needed ??

Ohio HD

Yes. Due to the fifth gearset going from straight cut to helical cut gears, the ration changed. Dealer can do a flash to adjust the difference.

If you have a flash tuner on the bike, you can change.

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 14, 2020, 06:56:18 AM
Yes. Due to the fifth gearset going from straight cut to helical cut gears, the ration changed. Dealer can do a flash to adjust the difference.

If you have a flash tuner on the bike, you can change.

Hmmm...so you're saying that a dealer can re-calibrate my gear ratios for my Grudge Box, provided I give them the Grudge Box ratios?  All of this without changing my SE tuned map?

rigidthumper

No, the dealer has an ECM flash that changes from straight cut 5th to helical cut 5th- no recalibration available with digital tech.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 14, 2020, 10:44:04 AM
No, the dealer has an ECM flash that changes from straight cut 5th to helical cut 5th- no recalibration available with digital tech.

Thank you.